Bombers TC Memories

Noeller

2004 was a good one ... I remember Taman was high on 2 receivers we signed that had NFL experience, Ramondo North and Darcey Levy - total busts. Rashad Faison was that year as a DB too, I remember he turned heads in camp and fizzled out. The guy to remember ended up being Tom Canada.

2005 was obviously Gavin Walls' year, but Marvin Townes was getting some major press from Taman as a running back prospect that year and from the archives I'm reading, Buck Rasmussen was a big DT they were high on before camp (spent a year with the Patriots before that) who then got released like three days in. :lol:

The name Elgin Hicks keeps popping up too.

Oursportscentral.com is a great site for archives on all of this stuff.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

2006! Dante Booker, Onterrio Smith and Henri Childs. Great names in the mix there. :lol:

That was also the year Duncan O'Mahony didn't show up to camp because he went missing.

I remember Charlie Roberts was all offended when we brought in Onterrio Smith. Thought it was disrespectful when we brought in competition for him.

I really liked Henri Childs when he was here though.

I can't recall the exact year, I want to say around 2004-2006. We had this middle linebacker Tony Ortiz that everyone on the boards loved but he couldn't stay healthy. I want to say he even joined OB and would make a post every so often. Personally I never understood the hype, but regardless it's a name I remember given the circumstances.

I also recall a receiver, Abe Morlu. Ran something like 4.25 in the 40 which had everyone in awe but what came apparent super quick was that he couldn't run a route to safe his life in training camp.

2009, a QB with a cannon arm Darrell Hackney had everyone's attention but never made it out of camp. Damn he could sling it.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

I can't recall the exact year, I want to say around 2004-2006. We had this middle linebacker Tony Ortiz that everyone on the boards loved but he couldn't stay healthy. I want to say he even joined OB and would make a post every so often. Personally I never understood the hype, but regardless it's a name I remember given the circumstances.

I also recall a receiver, Abe Morlu. Ran something like 4.25 in the 40 which had everyone in awe but what came apparent super quick was that he couldn't run a route to safe his life in training camp.

2009, a QB with a cannon arm Darrell Hackney had everyone's attention but never made it out of camp. Damn he could sling it.

I remember him.

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/abraham-morlu-sochi-olympics-us-bobsled-liberia/

He sure makes it sound like it was his choice to walk away from football. As if they wanted a guy that couldn't tell if his playbook was upside down or not.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Yep, it was Ortiz that came on the boards occasionally. I always used to get him and Travis Ortega confused.....

56 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I remember Charlie Roberts was all offended when we brought in Onterrio Smith. Thought it was disrespectful when we brought in competition for him.

I really liked Henri Childs when he was here though.

Yeah, I was at Smith's first practice (he was injured and just rode the bike on the sideline).  After practice the media wanted to talk to Roberts but he literally ran away from them and hid under the grandstand. Good times.

One of my earliest training camp memories is as a kid watching the team practice at the Velodrome a few times.  Not sure if I saw Mark Chipman tryout for the Bombers but one guy I remember was Forrest Kennerd - Trevor's twin brother. I'm surprised the 5 foot 5 QB didn't make the team, they must have been biased against Canadians or something.

Todd Marinovich.  The Johnny Football of his day, ultra-hyped college QB who had a huge national profile and a bunch of monkeys on his back.  He was a bust in the NFL -- the Raiders made him go to Betty Ford --  then he showed up at Bomber training camp in ... 1993? 1994? ... and blew out his knee on the first day.

In 1999 he was a backup QB in BC behind Damon Allen and Khari Jones.  Didn't throw a pass, but he used lots of heroin and famously once cut his hand on a crack pipe at halftime, he had to secretly bandage it and keep it hidden on the sidelines.

Guy was a total mess, his father was a piece of work who devoted his whole life to making his kid into the ultimate QB.  Just had a look at his Wikipedia page, still looks like he's bouncing in and out of trouble.  It's sad, the guy is a musician and a painter as well, he's good at lots of stuff, but H is a harsh mistress.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Yep, Tony Ortiz, and I believe Travis Ortega was another.  I think Ortega tagged along on the PR for a bit too.  Both had a fan base from 2004-2005. 

Training camp 1972. St.John's Ravenscourt Boys School. Beautiful campus by the river in Fort Garry. Huge Elm trees so lots of shade to watch the Bombers at training camp. Camp started June 15th. Biked from my house about 5 miles from my place in Riverview almost everyday. Except when I had to write my grade 9 finals. I remember the huge banner HC  Jim Spavital put up that said "Toronto 72" on it. Spavital loved his hitting & 2 a days were brutal. In full pads the entire time. In those days training camp was longer. The exhibition season was 4 games. So, the players were hitting from the first TC practice right thru until the first exhibition game which wasn't for 2-3 weeks. Spavital loved to yell. He was on a metal tower where he could watch the entire practice. Training camps then were nothing like today. It was hit! Hit! Hit!! I saw or met qbs Don Jonas & Ron Johnson. Mack Herron was coming off his rookie all star season. The Bombers were a powerhouse offensively. They had a dominant rusher in Herron, a Schenley Award winning qb in Jonas, a tough offensive line anchored by Bill Frank & Bob Lueck, as well as a bunch of receivers in Bob LaRose, Jim Thorpe, Paul Markle & Bobby Kraemer who could catch. Defensively guys like Joe Critchlow, Jim Sullivan Rob McLaren & Mickey Doyle were studs with our secondary of Paul Brule, Tom Oberg, Grady Cavness, Peter Ribbins & Gene Lakusiak perhaps the strength of that team. the Bombers were loaded & the class of the CFL in 1972. Should have won the Grey Cup that year.

Edited by SpeedFlex27