Bombers TC Memories

Noeller

Tony Ortiz and Travis Ortega.  I remember we had them for 2-3 years and people were calling management idiots, for not ever getting them into the lineup .   We were always keeping guys around, and never ever knowing if they could play.....

Jim "Sarge" Spavital?   That first camp in Gimli was special.........in a brutal and horrible way.   Never saw anything like the verbal abuse in that camp...

Used to also do the bike thing to SJR.   Lovely setting.

For the record......that Western Final loss in 72 was the worst thing ever.

Happy memories of many Blue Bomber TCs. But one stands out. I got detailed personal instructions from the HC on route-running: "See the goal posts and end-zone way down there at the other end of the field? Yes? See the tunnel under the stands? Run to the tunnel. Go in it. Keep fading. Follow the tunnel and then go outside the stadium. Keep running for several city blocks. Fake a left turn and cut right. Cody (Ledbetter) will fake it to you." Needless to say, I got cut shortly after.

Edited by Doublezero

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Use the "Insert Other Media" function at the bottom of the "Reply" box....copy and paste the image URL in there, and it'll show up....that's how I do it, anyhow.

Thanks Atomic for pointing me to Imgr. I think I got it now. I wast trying to post a pic from my computer home, there was no external URL. But IMgr fixes that. Thanks All!

Remember going to rookie camp Denmark first year. He was so much better than anyone else there kind of knew he was going to make the team after that practice. He would of also been characterized as TCF that's why I will never give the label to anyone if they show up they are expected to win a job.

48 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Remember going to rookie camp Denmark first year. He was so much better than anyone else there kind of knew he was going to make the team after that practice. He would of also been characterized as TCF that's why I will never give the label to anyone if they show up they are expected to win a job.

Remember this too.  Perry Floyd was getting all the hype but I thought Denmark was the best for one reason.... he simply never dropped the ball.  I mean most guys will have a drop or two in drills and whatnot but Denmark caught every single ball that came anywhere near him no matter the circumstances.  And I'd still put his hands up against anyone in the league.

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Yeah, I was at Smith's first practice (he was injured and just rode the bike on the sideline).  After practice the media wanted to talk to Roberts but he literally ran away from them and hid under the grandstand. Good times.

Onterrio Smith

Remember when (as a Viking) he tried to make it through customs and was caught with The Original Whizzinator?

Highlarious article: http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2061794 

4 hours ago, do or die said:

Tony Ortiz and Travis Ortega.  I remember we had them for 2-3 years and people were calling management idiots, for not ever getting them into the lineup .   We were always keeping guys around, and never ever knowing if they could play.....

Jim "Sarge" Spavital?   That first camp in Gimli was special.........in a brutal and horrible way.   Never saw anything like the verbal abuse in that camp...

Used to also do the bike thing to SJR.   Lovely setting.

For the record......that Western Final loss in 72 was the worst thing ever.

Well funny (but not so funny) that loss still stings 45 years later. I was at that game. Any Bomber fan who witnessed that 2nd half collapse at Winnipeg Stadium will never forget it.

14 hours ago, Atomic said:

Remember this too.  Perry Floyd was getting all the hype but I thought Denmark was the best for one reason.... he simply never dropped the ball.  I mean most guys will have a drop or two in drills and whatnot but Denmark caught every single ball that came anywhere near him no matter the circumstances.  And I'd still put his hands up against anyone in the league.

Wasn't Perry Floyd the one who always fumbled the ball? Like, every damn time?

I recall to in Charlie Roberts first camp I believe it was Taman commenting that Roberts prob will have issues and is in tough because of his size and particularly that his hands were too small and he would have fumble issues playing pro ball.

Quite the opposite as he very rarely dropped the ball, and he ran hard and took a lot of contact 

Deyonce Whitaker....many people thought he was like a Charles Roberts clone but he couldn't hang onto the ball to save his life. I seem to recall Coach Ritchie calling him Beyonce, but I could be mistaken on that. I do recall he had a special teams touchdown for us in week one of whatever season it was, but wound up cut because of the fumbling and eventually wound up in Montreal for a cup of coffee.

Great thread by the way.