Bombers TC Memories

Noeller

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I remember the 1976 & 77 seasons. We had Jay Washington & Steve Beaird as the two starting running backs. Beaird from Baylor could hold his own with Washington & Brock had 2 great backs to hand off to. Both were threats when they had the football. Our running game sure opened up the passing game. We'd never see that today.

The Baylor Bowling Ball was probably one of the worst nicknames of all time, but he was great...reminded me of Chad Kackert (sp.)

7 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

The Baylor Bowling Ball was probably one of the worst nicknames of all time, but he was great...reminded me of Chad Kackert (sp.)

I loved Beaird. What a tough, tough, TOUGH running back!! Always hit the hole hard. Wasn't tackled for losses very often. He was a great inside runner while Washington could run wide with the pitch, toss & sweep.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I remember a wr joshu bostick lighting camp on fire only to be cut for long in the tooth vets under the ritchie era. Loved him, but no one loved him as much as he loved his guys. 

Tony ortiz of course. TC MOP 2 years running. Think he came back for a 3rd camp a few years later.

I also remember an awful lot of vet days under ritchie, and a lot of TCF under taman. 

I remember blink just being a monster but fumbling soo much.

A lot more scraps in camp back then too. Matt sheridan, brandon dyson during his short time here, we had some really nasty OL back then. 

Vinny sutherland is another one. Guy had great football speed (and good track speed too) but if he had to do any thing but go in a straight line it was a disaster. 

I remember waiting for wane mcgarity to get it going. Still waiting. The old K9 posts. Before became kamau incompleterson. 

Mostly i remember soo many poor quality back up qbs. 

If Harry Knight hadn't torn his rotator cuff in 1978, we might be talking about him being a former great Bomber qb instead of Dieter Brock. He struggled at times with his reads & decisions under Bud Riley for 2.5 seasons starting in 1975. Riley had Brock rolling out & sprinting left & right virtually cutting the field in half to make things easier for Dieter. Harry Knight on the other hand seemed to have a better grasp of the offense than Brock did & was more comfortable throwing from the pocket.  During the 1977 season, some of the local media & fans began calling Brock a "dumb quarterback" when he struggled & they compared him to Knight.  Harry was beginning to have more & more playing time & having success during the 77 season although Brock remained the starter. Going into training camp in 1978, there wasn't a true number one qb for the Bombers as new HC Ray Jauch wanted to make the  qb position a competitive situation. At one point it looked like Knight would replace Brock as starting qb until he suffered that rotator cuff injury & was forced to retire. Jauch worked with Brock helping him to become a deadly pocket passer with his rocket arm. It was Ray jauch who spent hours with Brock & really advanced his knowledge of reading & exploiting defenses. Jauch virtually saved Dieter's career & made him not only a Blue Bomber HOF qb but a CFL HOF qb as well. Amazing how one injury would affect two players so much.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

26 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I was a huge Knight fan back in the day. Ralph Dieter Brock had a great arm and could put the ball anywhere he needed to, but Knight was the better QB until he tore his rotator cuff. 

One of the knocks on Dieter was that he was as smart as the average fern, but in the interviews, Harry Knight came across as quite bright. Plus he had a killer 'stache.

I know the dumb quarterback monicker really irked Brock. Brock had somewhat of an adversarial relationship with the media in the years after that. Even after he totally crushed their criticisms of his cognitive ability in the years after. I think it was unfair & I'd like to know what media member started it. Would have been interesting to compare the type of offenses both played in college as to which one was harder to grasp & more complex. That would put one ahead of the other if say, Knight had a more difficult playbook to learn before coming to the Bombers than Brock did. As well as competition. Which college of the 2 played better teams. Brock played at Jacksonville State while Knight played at the University of Richmond.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know the dumb quarterback monicker really irked Brock. Brock had somewhat of an adversarial relationship with the media in the years after that. Even after he totally crushed their criticisms of his cognitive ability in the years after. I think it was unfair & I'd like to know what media member started it. Would have been interesting to compare the type of offenses both played in college as to which one was harder to grasp & more complex. That would put one ahead of the other if say, Knight had a more difficult playbook to learn before coming to the Bombers than Brock did. As well as competition. Which college of the 2 played better teams. Brock played at Jacksonville State while Knight played at the University of Richmond.

Yes, the "dumb brute" rap hung heavily on him. Thanks for the insight on Jauch's mentorship, I wasn't aware of that side of things.

Do you remember him as a HC/QB coach while working with Wilkinson and Lemmerman in Edmonton?

11 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Yes, the "dumb brute" rap hung heavily on him. Thanks for the insight on Jauch's mentorship, I wasn't aware of that side of things.

Do you remember him as a HC/QB coach while working with Wilkinson and Lemmerman in Edmonton?

Vic Rapp was the OC for the Eskimos when Jauch was HC there along with Lemmerman & Wilkinson. I'm sure Jauch was still pretty much hands on as a HC working with them both.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, WBBFanWest, since you liked that I deleted a post, why don't you join in here & tell us your Blue Bomber memories? I'd be interested to know how long you've been a fan & the things you remember. Especially when you think somehow I'm a Stamps fan but not a Bomber fan.

First time I've every been slammed for a like, but seeing that you asked so nicely ISO...

My memories of the Bombers go back to the 60's.  Going to games with my family when we had the money to do it.  Really got interested in the Bombers in Grade 8 when we had Ray Watrin as a teacher and part time flag football coach at our school.  Days of Don Jonas and the boys.  I'd go on, but, that was then, this is now.  I prefer to discuss now.  

14 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

First time I've every been slammed for a like, but seeing that you asked so nicely ISO...

My memories of the Bombers go back to the 60's.  Going to games with my family when we had the money to do it.  Really got interested in the Bombers in Grade 8 when we had Ray Watrin as a teacher and part time flag football coach at our school.  Days of Don Jonas and the boys.  I'd go on, but, that was then, this is now.  I prefer to discuss now.  

Instead of sparring, we should have a discussion either here or on PM's about our memories. We look to be from the same generation. Don Jonas lived 2 blocks from my house. He used to go to the Riverview C.C to do some throwing. Used to see him driving around the neighbourhood with his family in his huge Chrysler station wagon with orange & green Florida plates.

On 6/12/2017 at 8:14 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Instead of sparring, we should have a discussion either here or on PM's about our memories. We look to be from the same generation. Don Jonas lived 2 blocks from my house. He used to go to the Riverview C.C to do some throwing. Used to see him driving around the neighbourhood with his family in his huge Chrysler station wagon with orange & green Florida plates.

I was in high school at the time and I got to shake hands with Don Jonas. His hand was so big it completely enveloped mine. It was like shaking hands with Shrek or Andre the Giant. Thinking back on those days is depressing. We lost that playoff game to Regina after being up 27-7 at half time and then the Mack Heron drug thing. Ugh. :(

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

I was in high school at the time and I got to shake hands with Don Jonas. His hand was so big it completely enveloped mine. It was like shaking hands with Shrek or Andre the Giant. Thinking back on those days is depressing. We lost that playoff game to Regina after being up 27-7 at half time and then the Mack Heron drug thing. Ugh. :(

The game was in Winnipeg vs the Riders. 27-24. The 1972 Western Final. Jack Abendschan with the last play FG to win it. That was a bitter loss.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The game was in Winnipeg vs the Riders. 24-21. The 1972 Western Final. Jack Abendschan with the last play FG to win it. That was a bitter loss.

Thought it was a 30-27 loss but yes, extremely bitter. Lost our MLB, Mickey Doyle, and George Reed ran it down our throats. I remember a receiver named Richardson dropped a 5 yard pass that would have won it for us. Have despised the Riders ever since.

Just now, J5V said:

Thought it was a 30-27 loss but yes, extremely bitter. Lost our MLB, Mickey Doyle, and George Reed ran it down our throats. I remember a receiver named Richardson dropped a 5 yard pass that would have won it for us. Have despised the Riders ever since.

Yes, Mike Richardson a replacement running back for Ed Williams who Jim Spavital had cut a couple of weeks earlier for disciplinary reasons. Williams would have made that catch.  Jonas threw a screen pass on third down to a wide open Richardson on the Riders 5 yard line & he flat out dropped it. Would have had clear sailing into the end zone. Mickey Doyle broke his ankle that game. They moved OLB Mike Kuhn inside but he was out of his element.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, Mike Richardson a replacement running back for Ed Williams who Jim Spavital had cut a couple of weeks earlier for disciplinary reasons. Williams would have made that catch.  Jonas threw a screen pass on third down to a wide open Richardson on the Riders 5 yard line & he flat out dropped it. Would have had clear sailing into the end zone. Mickey Doyle broke his ankle that game. They moved OLB Mike Kuhn inside but he was out of his element.

I was 17 years old and met Jonas at the track at Polo Park where we were qualifying for the provincials in track and field. Got an autographed J5V that year. Often met Bomber players at the Airport hotel where Gladys would let us sneak in for a pop. Bitter-sweet memories.

• 6 years later...

I am reaching out with a special request. My father, Peter Daniel Ribbins, was a receiver/defensive for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers from 1971 to 1976.

As Christmas approaches, I am on heartfelt mission to create a sentimental gift for my Mother and siblings by compiling a collection of memories, footage, pictures, and/or newspaper clippings from my father's football days with the Blue Bombers. 

If you have any material or know of potential sources that could help me in this endeavor, I would be eternally grateful!! 

Taylor Ribbins