3 stars plus HH first preseason game edition

wbbfan

I am reserving judgement on Lefevour.  He has always had a ton of potential, but he still has not shown that he can consistently play well in the pocket. 

He should have shown well in the preseason game.  He is an experienced professional QB who was able to play against the third string defense.  He should be able to pick that apart.  He did and that is encouraging...but it is not an indicator of whether he has taken the next step.

51 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

Season ticket holder yup. Honestly I was surprised how well LeFevour did as well. I still don't think Nichols is the answer and I see him being passed by LeFevour later on. But who knows he could surprise me again (I've never been sold on Nichols). I really do like Davis though. You guys need to keep that kid around.

Based on a single pre-season game...? That's a pretty silly claim.

22 minutes ago, MC said:

I am reserving judgement on Lefevour.  He has always had a ton of potential, but he still has not shown that he can consistently play well in the pocket. 

He should have shown well in the preseason game.  He is an experienced professional QB who was able to play against the third string defense.  He should be able to pick that apart.  He did and that is encouraging...but it is not an indicator of whether he has taken the next step.

this is exactly my opinion of how things played out as well.. I ain't sold on him after one pre-season game as he has done this before.  Hes always looked well enough in spot duty but struggled once teams can pinpoint his strengths and take them away..

To me LeaveittoFeaver has athletic gifts and a sandlot style.  He'll run around and chuck the ball up there.  Sometime his receivers will make the catch.  Sometimes he will win the game.

The problem is this never translates well to professional football because it can't be done with any consistency.  Coaches have a playbook and they want it executed.  Sometimes plays break down and the offence has to improvise, but this shouldn't be happening every other play.

Having an athletic guy who has seen CFL defences and is familiar with our game has value coming off the bench in case of emergency.  He's a good guy to have on the roster.  I'd still expect Davis to slot ahead of him just because it looks like Davis has reached a point in his career where he can execute with greater consistency than LeFevour.

2 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

I've watched enough of Nichols to not care for him, just an opinion that's all. Its not based off of one game.

And it's a personal opinion based on seemingly nothing substantive. Nichols demonstrated his value last season in what was easily his best campaign in his career. You saying you don't care for him sounds like more like a subjective approach rather than an objective one, BTW.

Also, I can't understand the logic behind stating LeFevour will surpass Nichols at some point. What evidence is there to even make such a claim?

16 minutes ago, mbrg said:

To me LeaveittoFeaver has athletic gifts and a sandlot style.  He'll run around and chuck the ball up there.  Sometime his receivers will make the catch.  Sometimes he will win the game.

The problem is this never translates well to professional football because it can't be done with any consistency.  Coaches have a playbook and they want it executed.  Sometimes plays break down and the offence has to improvise, but this shouldn't be happening every other play.

Having an athletic guy who has seen CFL defences and is familiar with our game has value coming off the bench in case of emergency.  He's a good guy to have on the roster.  I'd still expect Davis to slot ahead of him just because it looks like Davis has reached a point in his career where he can execute with greater consistency than LeFevour.

That's a good description of LeFevour, he's a handy-dandy spark plug on wheels but in the long-run his successes diminish quickly.  The contrast in his game can be illustrated by his two TD passes against Sask..  The toss to Liggins was a thing of beauty, perfectly placed and caught in full stride.  The pass to Lankford in the end-zone probably would have been intercepted if thrown against experienced defenders, as he threw it off his back foot into double coverage and put it up for grabs.  With LeFevour you get the ying with the yang.

5 hours ago, Kluchk said:

Season ticket holder yup. Honestly I was surprised how well LeFevour did as well. I still don't think Nichols is the answer and I see him being passed by LeFevour later on. But who knows he could surprise me again (I've never been sold on Nichols). I really do like Davis though. You guys need to keep that kid around.

Was there much of a jump in price from old stadium to new? The new digs look pretty sweet, gonna make LD classic soo much better. Also, does it have room for expansion?

Im probably the most down on nichols among bomber fans. I feel like what we saw from him in the first game was similar to what we saw last year, but with rust. Lefevour did come in awful late. His performance has to be taken with a grain of salt. I had lefevour as favorite to become the no2, especially with his experience. But if davis plays at the same level in the next game he could be the no2 qb going into the season. Lefevour also fits the system very well. 

5 hours ago, Kluchk said:

I totally forgot you guys had LeFevour as a back up. That's a solid backup encase anything goes down.

Surprised Frederick was released. You guys got any info on him?

A few other DBs, roc, and smalley have played out of their minds so far. I think most of us are shocked about frederick. Hes plays the same way randle does. Had some good coverage dunno. They prolly feel the other guys have more upside. We are stupid deep at DB. Especially with fogg, mo, and loffler.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And it's a personal opinion based on seemingly nothing substantive. Nichols demonstrated his value last season in what was easily his best campaign in his career. You saying you don't care for him sounds like more like a subjective approach rather than an objective one, BTW.

Also, I can't understand the logic behind stating LeFevour will surpass Nichols at some point. What evidence is there to even make such a claim?

Or, he is basing it off nichols individual performance and not the teams. Nichols even in his good games last year tended to disappear for quarters and halfs at a time. His play late in games, and in the western semi is what really showed promise. He threw a lot of passes that should have been picked, and got some great blocking up front, plus the turn overs. Imop this view is fairly representative of what most fans around the league think. The same way people thought about him in EDM. guy who you can grind out wins with. Wont blow your socks off with production but wont cost you games.

4 hours ago, SPuDS said:

this is exactly my opinion of how things played out as well.. I ain't sold on him after one pre-season game as he has done this before.  Hes always looked well enough in spot duty but struggled once teams can pinpoint his strengths and take them away..

The first half against us last year he threw 3 or 4 tds didnt he? Yeah hes a guy who shows some great flashes then nothing. His mentality is a bit like jennings in bc. He will force some passes into bad spots and start throwing some real ugly passes out of the blue. That may be some thing thats coachable though.

55 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Last year Nichols was 326 for 467 (68.9%), 3662 yards, 17 td passes with 9 ints in 13 starts. That = 5070 passing yards, 24 td passes, 12 ints over a full season. Likely better than some think.

Its tough to project a partial good season over a full year when that player hasnt had a good season like that in the past. The question really is can he sustain such production? The missed turn overs, and big gaps in performance (halfs of games, late in the regular season etc) are reason for pause. I think at the very least he will have to play better then last year to produce at a similar level. But either way we are on the cusp of finding out. 

Nichols is kind of a Reilly/Glenn hybrid...  he has the grit and pocket awareness of Reilly but is a lot like Glenn in terms of dink-and-dunking a team to death - and if he doesn't throw a pick for a TD, will usually win you a game...  but he might throw that pick

Nichols from last year - looked like the guy that came into the league...  not the injured train-wreck that we traded for

15 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Nichols is kind of a Reilly/Glenn hybrid...  he has the grit and pocket awareness of Reilly but is a lot like Glenn in terms of dink-and-dunking a team to death - and if he doesn't throw a pick for a TD, will usually win you a game...  but he might throw that pick

Nichols from last year - looked like the guy that came into the league...  not the injured train-wreck that we traded for

Having an offensive line that blocks helped a lot as well.

23 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Thats a pretty decent comparison. Id probably go buck pierce instead of glenn. Glenn has gotten by on quick release and good touch. Nichols doesnt have as good deep ball touch or the release. But he has a stronger arm. Last year he came up with a huge TD saving tackle on a fumble, or volley ball'd pick 90% of qbs in the league dont make that play. 

Im not worried about the pick 6. Im worried DBs do a better job of jumping his passes this year. And that tds wont go up.

Lots of guys break out, fewer sustain it or improve. This year will probably be the first time cfl teams are game planning for him. Or atleast doing so with a decent sample size of video and stats. 

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Last year Nichols was 326 for 467 (68.9%), 3662 yards, 17 td passes with 9 ints in 13 starts. That = 5070 passing yards, 24 td passes, 12 ints over a full season. Likely better than some think.

....and this was done without Adams for several games, and Dressler & Smith missing games. And Kohlert who had a bad case of the dropsies.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Was there much of a jump in price from old stadium to new? The new digs look pretty sweet, gonna make LD classic soo much better. Also, does it have room for expansion?

Im probably the most down on nichols among bomber fans. I feel like what we saw from him in the first game was similar to what we saw last year, but with rust. Lefevour did come in awful late. His performance has to be taken with a grain of salt. I had lefevour as favorite to become the no2, especially with his experience. But if davis plays at the same level in the next game he could be the no2 qb going into the season. Lefevour also fits the system very well. 

Honestly man pricing isn't the worst. It went up a few bucks for beer and food went up. But mosaic had **** for food before so I'm ok with paying what I'm paying. Yes has room for expansion. They have a standing area in the end zone side on the concrete that's pretty sweet.

I still have no idea how it's considered "roof ready" Lol. 

Davis could be a real athlete but he could also bud a dud. I have a feeling he will have a few starting games this year. I think Nichols just had one of those years last year and I'm not fully into him. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Or, he is basing it off nichols individual performance and not the teams. Nichols even in his good games last year tended to disappear for quarters and halfs at a time. His play late in games, and in the western semi is what really showed promise. He threw a lot of passes that should have been picked, and got some great blocking up front, plus the turn overs. Imop this view is fairly representative of what most fans around the league think. The same way people thought about him in EDM. guy who you can grind out wins with. Wont blow your socks off with production but wont cost you games.

If you want to discuss Nichols' individual performance in 2016, that works. He was nominated team MOP for a reason.

In 15 GP (13 as the starting QB), he made 327 completions on 471 attempts (69.4 COMP %), passed for 3,666 yards, 18 TDs and 9 INTs. That's good for a QB efficiency rating of 97.15, which indicates he was an asset much more often than he was a liability. He also had to deal with a banged up receiving corps, as well as missing the team's top receiver for the bulk of the season. It would've been interesting to see how might have finished had he replaced Willy sooner, or even started the season.

And again: I still can't understand the assertion LeFevour will surpass Nichols in the future, or how it's justified at this point in time.

9 hours ago, Kluchk said:

Honestly man pricing isn't the worst. It went up a few bucks for beer and food went up. But mosaic had **** for food before so I'm ok with paying what I'm paying. Yes has room for expansion. They have a standing area in the end zone side on the concrete that's pretty sweet.

I still have no idea how it's considered "roof ready" Lol. 

Davis could be a real athlete but he could also bud a dud. I have a feeling he will have a few starting games this year. I think Nichols just had one of those years last year and I'm not fully into him. 

This is where we got our seats for Labour Day - 50 of them. Sounds interesting, actually but we were told it's rush seating? Our rep said they planned to undersell capacity though.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

This is where we got our seats for Labour Day - 50 of them. Sounds interesting, actually but we were told it's rush seating? Our rep said they planned to undersell capacity though.

European football style. I love the idea of standing room spaces. That could be a whole lot of fun or, possibly, a whole lot of trouble.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

European football style. I love the idea of standing room spaces. That could be a whole lot of fun or, possibly, a whole lot of trouble.

Yeah, not going to lie ... I'm a bit nervous that it could get out of control. Normally everyone in Regina is super friendly when we go but ... standing room only leads to a lot more invasion of personal space which leads to the potential for a donnybrook.

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah, not going to lie ... I'm a bit nervous that it could get out of control. Normally everyone in Regina is super friendly when we go but ... standing room only leads to a lot more invasion of personal space which leads to the potential for a donnybrook.

Also in European football, they keep supporters in separate sections of the stadium, with barriers in between.