3 stars plus HH first preseason game edition

wbbfan

10 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

i don't get the not aggressive thing. They take plenty shots down the field. But like Nichols said if the higher percentage play is short he is taking that and not throwing it deep . 

Agreed.

Plus, they use the high percentage plays to create better opportunities downfield. When it's there, they go for it.

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

People have to find a way to fit the narrative. Because he doesn't throw a lot of interceptions it must be he's boring and safe. 

Maybe they haven't caught up.... I think Nichols early in his career was a bit careless the ball.

He recognized the problem and he fixed it.

Our backup threw a sixty yard completion the other day.

Easy to be happy with our QB group this season.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

i don't get the not aggressive thing. They take plenty shots down the field. But like Nichols said if the higher percentage play is short he is taking that and not throwing it deep . 

It's a Lapo thing to me. Not that they never take shots, it's that Lapo is a pretty conservative coach and will default to trying to not lose when some times they would be better off knowing when to take a shot to try and beat the other guys. I mean you don't want to be balls to the walls all the time, but you gotta identify when those moments to go for it are and I think Lapo overall doesn't excel in that area. He's more of a play it safe, try and win the field position battle kind of guy. 

4 hours ago, SPuDS said:

playoff performers are just as important as full season ones.   Our playoffs come down to 1 game x 3.  if you can't get up for the playoff games (see Glenn,Kevin or in some ways Mitchell,Bo levi)  then who cares what you did during the season.. You can set a record for the best CFL season and still not get the Grey cup or even play in it..

play off performance is only important if you make the play offs. Its no secret nichols plays his best ball in crunch time. But if we dont make it to crunch time thats the problem. 

4 hours ago, SPuDS said:

pre-season or not, we have all seen how QBs can look in pre-season when they are hot garbage lol.  Nichols showed that he is still Nichols.  Accurate, smart with the ball and very few risky plays for the offense or for himself..

weve also seen guys look really good in pre season and be hot garbage in the regular season. Nichols isnt hot garbage by any means though. 

4 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

People have to find a way to fit the narrative. Because he doesn't throw a lot of interceptions it must be he's boring and safe. 

I think the offense is boring and safe, more then nichols FWIW. Nichols strength isnt the deep ball by any means, but he doesnt often throw the deep ball in a spot that is prone to a pick. 

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's a Lapo thing to me. Not that they never take shots, it's that Lapo is a pretty conservative coach and will default to trying to not lose when some times they would be better off knowing when to take a shot to try and beat the other guys. I mean you don't want to be balls to the walls all the time, but you gotta identify when those moments to go for it are and I think Lapo overall doesn't excel in that area. He's more of a play it safe, try and win the field position battle kind of guy. 

Right and that's the kind of coach you have to be when you don't have an overabundance of talent. Give him an abundance of talent and you may see a different approach. I think his coaching style may depend on what you give him to work with.

10 hours ago, J5V said:

Right and that's the kind of coach you have to be when you don't have an overabundance of talent. Give him an abundance of talent and you may see a different approach. I think his coaching style may depend on what you give him to work with.

It's Lapo, we've seen him with all sorts of teams over the years, I got sick of his **** when we had Khari Jones, Milt Stegall, Arland Bruce, Charles Roberts and Mike Sellers on the same team so how much talent does the guy need? 

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's Lapo, we've seen him with all sorts of teams over the years, I got sick of his **** when we had Khari Jones, Milt Stegall, Arland Bruce, Charles Roberts and Mike Sellers on the same team so how much talent does the guy need? 

Apparently more than that. :unsure: