3 stars plus HH first preseason game edition

wbbfan

42 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Nichols actually got better and better as the season went on. At first he was more or less a game manager but down the stretch when our secondary was being burnt pretty good he was holding his own against guys like Jennings, and Reilly. 

I thought he was great in the West Semi. He made plays. That loss was not on him.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

This is where we got our seats for Labour Day - 50 of them. Sounds interesting, actually but we were told it's rush seating? Our rep said they planned to undersell capacity though.

Its a pretty sweet area actually. I enjoy standing and walking so that area will be fun.

5 hours ago, JCon said:

Also in European football, they keep supporters in separate sections of the stadium, with barriers in between.

They also let people bring in flares and set the stadium on fire.

Personally I don't have that big of an axe to grind with the Riders, but for those who do, um, we got by as an 8 team league for a while.

Just saying.

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

A few other DBs, roc, and smalley have played out of their minds so far. I think most of us are shocked about frederick. Hes plays the same way randle does. Had some good coverage dunno. They prolly feel the other guys have more upside. We are stupid deep at DB. Especially with fogg, mo, and loffler.

Or, he is basing it off nichols individual performance and not the teams. Nichols even in his good games last year tended to disappear for quarters and halfs at a time. His play late in games, and in the western semi is what really showed promise. He threw a lot of passes that should have been picked, and got some great blocking up front, plus the turn overs. Imop this view is fairly representative of what most fans around the league think. The same way people thought about him in EDM. guy who you can grind out wins with. Wont blow your socks off with production but wont cost you games.

The first half against us last year he threw 3 or 4 tds didnt he? Yeah hes a guy who shows some great flashes then nothing. His mentality is a bit like jennings in bc. He will force some passes into bad spots and start throwing some real ugly passes out of the blue. That may be some thing thats coachable though.

If he hasn't been coached out of that yet.. in how many stops in the CFL, how do you think it will change here?  IMO its just his way of playing and its not conducive to success as a starter.  you pinpoint on his weaknesses and he becomes a liability..

16 hours ago, Nic16 said:

....and this was done without Adams for several games, and Dressler & Smith missing games. And Kohlert who had a bad case of the dropsies.

very good points.  With a better supporting cast, its easy to see (to me anyway) that he could be capable of even better production then his last season..

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Yeah, not going to lie ... I'm a bit nervous that it could get out of control. Normally everyone in Regina is super friendly when we go but ... standing room only leads to a lot more invasion of personal space which leads to the potential for a donnybrook.

excellent use of donnybrook.   bonus points!

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

He had more than 3 i'm sure. But it wasn't just that, it was when he dropped them, they didn't go down...they went up, which led to ints

yup.  he volley'd em up and then didn't fight for em. 

not to mention, if O'shea and Lapo wanted to give up on him... thats kind of telling, especially considering our depth.

35 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Donny Brook will be the next 4th string QB we cut. 

and the ire that it will cause will create such a stir that all the active threads with be overburdened with "Danny Mac and Ted Govia are teh sux" posts all over again..

look forward to it!

15 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

If you want to discuss Nichols' individual performance in 2016, that works. He was nominated team MOP for a reason.

In 15 GP (13 as the starting QB), he made 327 completions on 471 attempts (69.4 COMP %), passed for 3,666 yards, 18 TDs and 9 INTs. That's good for a QB efficiency rating of 97.15, which indicates he was an asset much more often than he was a liability. He also had to deal with a banged up receiving corps, as well as missing the team's top receiver for the bulk of the season. It would've been interesting to see how might have finished had he replaced Willy sooner, or even started the season.

And again: I still can't understand the assertion LeFevour will surpass Nichols in the future, or how it's justified at this point in time.

And among play off teams our offense was dead last in nearly every category and was among the lowest in the league in terms of passing yards, and tds. Despite an earth shattering number of turn overs from the D, we kicked a record number of field goals. All that with one of the better running games, and Ols in the league while nichols was under center. Not to mention very good teams out side of kicking and ever dangerous returners. 

17 hours ago, Kluchk said:

Honestly man pricing isn't the worst. It went up a few bucks for beer and food went up. But mosaic had **** for food before so I'm ok with paying what I'm paying. Yes has room for expansion. They have a standing area in the end zone side on the concrete that's pretty sweet.

I still have no idea how it's considered "roof ready" Lol. 

Davis could be a real athlete but he could also bud a dud. I have a feeling he will have a few starting games this year. I think Nichols just had one of those years last year and I'm not fully into him. 

Any idea how many will be packed in for LD? Ours and the battle of alberta should be the highest attendance games of the year. 

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

He had more than 3 i'm sure. But it wasn't just that, it was when he dropped them, they didn't go down...they went up, which led to ints

He had 1 maybe 2 of those. Nichols more then a half dozen games in a row with a pass that was a bad drop or great break up by the wr.  

6 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Nichols actually got better and better as the season went on. At first he was more or less a game manager but down the stretch when our secondary was being burnt pretty good he was holding his own against guys like Jennings, and Reilly. 

He got better in the post season. Towards the end of the year we saw the worst of nichols, behind a banged up OL though. But his play off game against BC was hands down his best. And he is that type that excels in the last minutes of a game. 

2 hours ago, SPuDS said:

If he hasn't been coached out of that yet.. in how many stops in the CFL, how do you think it will change here?  IMO its just his way of playing and its not conducive to success as a starter.  you pinpoint on his weaknesses and he becomes a liability..

Weve seen far older QBs turn over new leafs in the CFL. With that many stops it could very easily cause him to pay less mind to OCs n coaches. Some times it takes the right coach instead of a ton of coaches. Most on here are banking on a nichols turn around, so i dont think you can rule out one for fevour too. Im not saying its gonna happen, or even that its probable. But it certainly is possible. 

Eh weve seen gunslingers have great success in the cfl. I fully believe it can still works. If you are putting up 3 tds and 2 picks a game you are probably still gonna win a lot of games. Id say a 4/3 or 3/2 and maybe some higher ratios gives you a better chance to win then if you put up 2:1 every game.

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

And among play off teams our offense was dead last in nearly every category and was among the lowest in the league in terms of passing yards, and tds. Despite an earth shattering number of turn overs from the D, we kicked a record number of field goals. All that with one of the better running games, and Ols in the league while nichols was under center. Not to mention very good teams out side of kicking and ever dangerous returners.

All I'm saying is Nichols proved his worth last season as a QB and his individual numbers seem to reflect that. Despite not having played a full season, either.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

All I'm saying is Nichols proved his worth last season as a QB and his individual numbers seem to reflect that. Despite not having played a full season, either.

He proved he could qb a wining team, and play well enough to win in the play offs. Now we have to see him sustain that, and if he can do it with out a crazy amount of turn overs and record FGs. Also to nichols being team nominee for MOP, it hands down should have been mo or medlock. 

Thats some thing every QB in the league needs to reprove every year tbh. Even the elite qbs. You can go from MOP to back up to forgotten very quickly in the cfl. (ask khari) 

Individual stats dont mean a lot when the unit under performs. Like wes lysacks massive tackle total his last year here as a saftey. 

Nichols is in a similar spot and tier as the tigernaughts qbs, durant, glenn, and harris. All have won to some extent and proven they can excel giving the right win criteria. Any of em could be an elite qb this year. Any of em could be out of a job this time next year. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

He proved he could qb a wining team, and play well enough to win in the play offs. Now we have to see him sustain that, and if he can do it with out a crazy amount of turn overs and record FGs. Also to nichols being team nominee for MOP, it hands down should have been mo or medlock. 

Thats some thing every QB in the league needs to reprove every year tbh. Even the elite qbs. You can go from MOP to back up to forgotten very quickly in the cfl. (ask khari) 

Individual stats dont mean a lot when the unit under performs. Like wes lysacks massive tackle total his last year here as a saftey. 

Nichols is in a similar spot and tier as the tigernaughts qbs, durant, glenn, and harris. All have won to some extent and proven they can excel giving the right win criteria. Any of em could be an elite qb this year. Any of em could be out of a job this time next year. 

I honestly don't even know what you're going on about anymore. You basically made my point for me: he proved he could be a winning QB, something the Bombers haven't had in years.

And IIRC, isn't MOP nominated by the organization itself...?

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

I honestly don't even know what you're going on about anymore. You basically made my point for me: he proved he could be a winning QB, something the Bombers haven't had in years.

And IIRC, isn't MOP nominated by the organization itself...?

Nichols prove he could win, but with a crazy amount of turn overs and a record number of field goals. Also with a great OL and running game. Any qb projected to be the no1 starter going into the regular season in the cfl right now could win with that. That was the original point you couldnt understand. Of that sub elite tier of qbs mostly you are hoping they can stay healthy. With nichols you have to also hope it isnt mid night in Cinderella land. 

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Nichols prove he could win, but with a crazy amount of turn overs and a record number of field goals. Also with a great OL and running game. Any qb projected to be the no1 starter going into the regular season in the cfl right now could win with that. That was the original point you couldnt understand. Of that sub elite tier of qbs mostly you are hoping they can stay healthy. With nichols you have to also hope it isnt mid night in Cinderella land. 

I didn't misunderstand anything, so I have no idea where you came up with such nonsense. I disagreed with another poster's opinion on not being sold on Nichols and his claim LeFevour would surpass him at some point.

Edited by blue_gold_84

You can put me in the "not sold" on Nichols boat.

I like him.  I thought he was pretty great last year.  But his body of work is still so small and pre-2016 he was average at best.

I'm eager to see what he does this year and I'm hoping for the best.  But I've seen an awful lot of Bomber QBs who looked good one year and then like garbage the next.

I'm not sold on Nichols yet either.

Last year was the first time in his 5 year CFL career when he looked like a starting QB. He was invisible for major parts of a lot of games. He was was the 3rd luckiest QB in terms of catchable INT's vs real INT's. Our Turnover ratio gave him the ball back 59 times, the best in the league by far. Our redzone problems meant we ended up leading the league in FG's, not TD's.

It will be really interesting to see if Nichols can keep up last year's level of play, if he improves or if he goes back to the way he was before last year.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

What do you want from Nichols? He got us into the playoffs last year & played very well. The "We Can Do Better" Crowd. Always something to complain about. Never satisfied.

Edited by SpeedFlex27