3 stars plus HH first preseason game edition

wbbfan

35 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What do you want from Nichols? He got us into the playoffs last year & played very well. The "We Can Do Better" Crowd. Always something to complain about. Never satisfied.

He got us to the playoffs. I'll be satisfied if/when he wins a playoff game or 2, gets us to the Grey Cup and wins it.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

You can put me in the "not sold" on Nichols boat.

I like him.  I thought he was pretty great last year.  But his body of work is still so small and pre-2016 he was average at best.

I'm eager to see what he does this year and I'm hoping for the best.  But I've seen an awful lot of Bomber QBs who looked good one year and then like garbage the next.

IIRC he was viewed as the next up and comer before Nichols' multiple injuries and hence the need for Reilly to do it all

Funny how I remember so many posters that thought Reilly was overrated when he signed with the Eskimos. That he'd never amount to much with Edmonton. Why can't we just be satisfied that the Bombers seems to be on the upswing? That Nichols gives us the best chance to win.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

54 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

And then will come the inevitable "now he has to prove that last year wasn't a fluke".

The "having to prove himself" thingie is true to an extent. The CFL and even the NFL have had a lot of one-hit/one season wonders who amazed and then disappointed, Nichols doesn't necessarily have to win the Grey cup but he does have to play as he did for the last half of the season. The bar has been raised for him and the team.

It's a QB driven league and Nichols isn't a top 4 QB, which make him average at best.

I get that most folks around here are just happy we finally made the playoffs last year and assume that were going to win at least as many games this year as we did last. Personally, I think the bar should be raised from just making the playoffs to winning a playoff game or two.

I think overly much gets made of the top teir qb stuff to be honest. Ultimately the only question is can you win with your guy at qb? And we know that this team can win with Nichols at qb. Like I said, he won't be the reason the team loses if they do lose. Does it matter if he's not a top teir qb? No not really, he's got the right attitude for this team and can do enough at the position to put the team in a position to succeed. After that it's still a team game and the rest of the team needs to take advantage of that. 

Truthfully I am much more concerned about the coordinators than I am the quarterbacking. If anything is going to hold this team back it's going to be the soft vanilla prevent defense Ritchie Hall likes and the conservative to a fault offense Lapo is in love with. 

3 hours ago, tracker said:

The "having to prove himself" thingie is true to an extent. The CFL and even the NFL have had a lot of one-hit/one season wonders who amazed and then disappointed, Nichols doesn't necessarily have to win the Grey cup but he does have to play as he did for the last half of the season. The bar has been raised for him and the team.

how?!  he proved himself in Edmonton and then here.  Hes proven himself.   all hes done is win when he has been a starter.  how much more proving does a guy need to do?

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think overly much gets made of the top teir qb stuff to be honest. Ultimately the only question is can you win with your guy at qb? And we know that this team can win with Nichols at qb. Like I said, he won't be the reason the team loses if they do lose. Does it matter if he's not a top teir qb? No not really, he's got the right attitude for this team and can do enough at the position to put the team in a position to succeed. After that it's still a team game and the rest of the team needs to take advantage of that. 

Truthfully I am much more concerned about the coordinators than I am the quarterbacking. If anything is going to hold this team back it's going to be the soft vanilla prevent defense Ritchie Hall likes and the conservative to a fault offense Lapo is in love with. 

totally agree.  Nichols has proven that being a smart, savvy QB who doesn't make many mistakes and cause turnovers can be successful.  Its not like his arm is garbage or he cant run either.  Hes not an athletic freak like some people need as a QB but hes a very smart game managing QB who is more then capable.   I have no issues going forward with Nichols at the helm until we see Davis progress further or we find the next diamond in the rough..

The Bombers goal is to improve on their offence, which finished 6th overall last year. They have Harris back, Nichols back, Denmark,and Dressler. These are important pieces for continuity. Put them behind and offensive line that was gelling last year and is getting loaded up again to have an even better year, and there is reason to smile. Add in a receiver, Darrin Adams, who looked to be a game breaker for us, and the smile gets bigger.

Everybody, including newcomers Thorpe, Liggins and Washington, among others, will be Coached once again (continuity) by Paul LaPolice.

This unit, with last year’s knowledge, should be able to start faster, and this is vital. For all the talk about the Bombers being fortunate to win only because of Medlock, most critics forget that we still won those games while playing ‘catch-up’. 

Start faster, start stronger and this offence should be fine

25 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

how?!  he proved himself in Edmonton and then here.  Hes proven himself.   all hes done is win when he has been a starter.  how much more proving does a guy need to do?

I would suggest that in order for a quarterback to be validated as a good pivot, he would have to string together at least  2 consecutive good seasons. 

16 minutes ago, tracker said:

I would suggest that in order for a quarterback to be validated as a good pivot, he would have to string together at least  2 consecutive good seasons. 

Fair, but then if he has 2 consecutive years where he averages out, either through play or injury irrelevance, does that count against him? Durant? Collaras? Reilly? Are they tumbling out of top tier or all is forgiven?

What about team performance? Would BLM be that star in Saskatchewan? Or Montreal?

More likely, each year will present new challenges and injury-avoidance to better slot any QB where, we the fans, determine who is deserving of our high fives...

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

The Bombers goal is to improve on their offence, which finished 6th overall last year. They have Harris back, Nichols back, Denmark,and Dressler. These are important pieces for continuity. Put them behind and offensive line that was gelling last year and is getting loaded up again to have an even better year, and there is reason to smile. Add in a receiver, Darrin Adams, who looked to be a game breaker for us, and the smile gets bigger.

Everybody, including newcomers Thorpe, Liggins and Washington, among others, will be Coached once again (continuity) by Paul LaPolice.

This unit, with last year’s knowledge, should be able to start faster, and this is vital. For all the talk about the Bombers being fortunate to win only because of Medlock, most critics forget that we still won those games while playing ‘catch-up’. 

AMEN!

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

That's true, I would hope they are trying to improve everywhere though

32 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

AMEN!

that tweet has nothing to do with anything you've been talking about.

21 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What do you want from Nichols? He got us into the playoffs last year & played very well. The "We Can Do Better" Crowd. Always something to complain about. Never satisfied.

How about an offense that isnt among the worst in the league in many  categories and the worst among play off teams?

3 hours ago, SPuDS said:

Proved him self in edmonton soo well they practically  gave him away. Remember how nichols played his first partial year here?

Look at the 2nd tier qbs in the league and ask your self how many games would they have won/lost on our same team around them. How would nichols have done in sask last year? 

7 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

It's a QB driven league and Nichols isn't a top 4 QB, which make him average at best.

I get that most folks around here are just happy we finally made the playoffs last year and assume that were going to win at least as many games this year as we did last. Personally, I think the bar should be raised from just making the playoffs to winning a playoff game or two.

QFT. Being content with the previous year and finally getting out of the basement is the quick way to go right back down. 

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Fair, but then if he has 2 consecutive years where he averages out, either through play or injury irrelevance, does that count against him? Durant? Collaros? Reilly? Are they tumbling out of top tier or all is forgiven?

What about team performance? Would BLM be that star in Saskatchewan? Or Montreal?

More likely, each year will present new challenges and injury-avoidance to better slot any QB where, we the fans, determine who is deserving of our high fives...

To counter your point- how many quarterbacks are remembered as good to great if they couldn't string together enough wins to make two consecutive seasons or more? How many times have you said, "Good quarterback but loses a lot of games?"  Mitchell might not have won as many games in green livery, but he still would have been a good quarterback and put together strong seasons.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Proved him self in edmonton soo well they practically  gave him away. Remember how nichols played his first partial year here?

Look at the 2nd tier qbs in the league and ask your self how many games would they have won/lost on our same team around them. How would nichols have done in sask last year? 

QFT. Being content with the previous year and finally getting out of the basement is the quick way to go right back down. 

Who says we don't want to win??? Of course we do. The team wants to win a championship. The GM, coach & players do. Wbbfan & TBurgess, both your expectations are ridiculous. Win or the season is a failure??? Nichols is a loser. C'mon man, that's just stupid.