Bombers cut Apodaca, Frederick and 9 more

Mike

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

What scares me about Lankford is that he had hands problems in Saskatchewan... and first thing he does here is bobble a punt.  I don't see that issue going away.  Could be a decent depth player but that kinda stuff costs games.

I agree entirely. I don't really consider him an option to make the team at all.

Sadly, I don't think the coaches agree.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

What scares me about Lankford is that he had hands problems in Saskatchewan... and first thing he does here is bobble a punt.  I don't see that issue going away.  Could be a decent depth player but that kinda stuff costs games.

Yah, I'm worried about consistency, he might look good for a couple of games and then disappear.  If they are looking for a physical receiver to fill the last spot (which they should be) a lot of the current contenders drop away.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm thinking Stafford is going to make the roster due to his history with Nichols. Don't know if he finishes the year starting, but I think game 1 he's out there.

I feel like this is going to depend on what Thorpe shows over the course of this week. He's been on the shelf for awhile now, but if he comes in this week (both in practice and the game) and lights it up, he could lock down a starting spot because he can return kicks and play on offense...

I feel like Lankford is basically going to assume Mayo's role of on and off again PR player who is emergency injury relief. I thought he's had a pretty good camp so far, and I like the fact he paid us $100 to try out at a mini camp. If he makes the team, I think it's because he's earned it, not because there are no better options. Can't wait for PS game 2

15 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Thanks for ruining my day. I'm gonna lose all kinds of sleep that Michael Oshea hasn't used your diagnostics and superbly refined skill to become a leader. Please post more about leadership. Your explanations are enlightenment to the unwashed. 

It's almost as if he wants to prove he memorized the text book.

The preseason is so tough to gauge when it comes to new guys and making the roster unless you can watch the practices and games in person.

We heard all week from the media about Apodaca and he is in the first round of cuts, everyone is now on board the Lankford hype train while guys like Thorpe/Walker Jr have been injured all camp and they survive the first cuts. Makes you see how big the disconnect can be between the media and coaching staff. That is why I for the last two years to see what Tait puts out there and who is he hyping up, he would have much more intimate knowledge of what the coaching staff is thinking (although I would have said this before he started working for the team anyways).

FWIW, from the videos I saw of the game I thought Liggins made a nice grab on that TD and the D-line got some nice pressure from both the interior and outside but it's hard to get a good feel for them based on the o-line that they faced (with exception to Jeffcoats strip sack)

11 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I feel like Lankford is basically going to assume Mayo's role of on and off again PR player who is emergency injury relief. I thought he's had a pretty good camp so far, and I like the fact he paid us $100 to try out at a mini camp. If he makes the team, I think it's because he's earned it, not because there are no better options. Can't wait for PS game 2

When you watch Lankford run you just think "smooth", while i'll hold back my reservations about his hands I really like his speed and returning kicks doesn't hurt his value either.

That being said, Fogg is back.

21 hours ago, bearpants said:

I only watched about an hour and a half of TC... but from what I saw Apodaca definitely had a rocket arm... but as we've discussed ad nauseum, it takes more than an arm to be a professional QB...

When Dieter Brock came to the Bombers in 1974, that's all he had was a rocket arm. Bud Riley saw something in him he liked. I guess Mike O'Shea didn't see the same potential in Apodaca.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

amazing what you can do with Adobe these days, and put in a frame...I myself have a law degrees from the University of Aruba.

Funny, my roommate is about to go get his degree in medicine from Aruba lol

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When Dieter Brock came to the Bombers in 1974, that's all he had was a rocket arm. Bud Riley saw something in him he liked. I guess Mike O'Shea didn't see the same potential in Apodaca.

The similarity is that they both have the physical tools of which Apodaca has better mobility.  The difference is Brock had years to develop his game and Apodaca was given 2 weeks.  Something about this doesn't sit right, considering there are no other QB's on their radar.

5 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Are we really comparing Dieter Brock to Apodaca?

As rookies, yeah. Both had strong arms. Brock was totally clueless about the CFL (probably like Apodaca was) when he first came up here. Knew nothing about it. Both struggled like every other rookie qb in their first training camp with the different rules, wider field, bigger end zones, 3 downs compared to 4, one more man on O & D as well as motion. But that's the point. Had Riley not seen something in Brock, even with his struggles we'd not be talking about a HOF career. Sometimes even just a series in an exhibition game can catch a coaches eye & in turn make a career. I guess O'Shea didn't see any potential in Apodaca. That was my point.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The similarity is that they both have the physical tools of which Apodaca has better mobility.  The difference is Brock had years to develop his game and Apodaca was given 2 weeks.  Something about this doesn't sit right, considering there are no other QB's on their radar.

Again a coach sees potential & then allows it to develop. If he doesn't then a player is cut.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It is a bit weird (IMO) that they're content with only having 3 QB's right now.  I wonder if they talked to him about sitting on the PR and he wasn't interested. 

I just hope Apodaca doesn't end up on someone else's roster and comes back to haunt us....cuz I'm gonna poop...Kid showed something and I think he was looking at a couple of guys ahead of him who are pretty good and thought he might do better elsewhere???Just a guess.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Again a coach sees potential & then allows it to develop. If he doesn't then a player is cut.

Well if there is one criticism of MOS that doesn't wash is that he is quick with the trigger in cutting guys...he gives guys more than ample time to prove themselves or not.

Look at the Bomber qb'ng situation. Nichols is 30-31 years of age who just signed a big long term deal. He's not going anywhere for awhile unless he totally craps the bed like Willy did. LeFevour must be late 20's & may be just a stop gap answer as I don't think he unseats Nichols anytime soon. He was signed as the veteran qb behind Nichols which may only be for this season. Then there's Dom Davis who is getting into his late 20's. He's the development qb who may take the #2 spot or settle in again at #3. The Bombers really don't need a raw rookie qb to develop right now. They have their 3 qbs. The question is who will be #2? That's why Apodaca was cut.

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It is a bit weird (IMO) that they're content with only having 3 QB's right now.  I wonder if they talked to him about sitting on the PR and he wasn't interested. 

That's my bet, but I don't think he knows enough about the CFL if he thinks he will find a better opportunity elsewhere.  He needs to spend a year on a PR to digest the game and develop as a pro, it could be he has other plans.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

how do you know who Mcmanus and Walters have on their radar?

57 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Look at the Bomber qb'ng situation. Nichols is 30-31 years of age who just signed a big long term deal. He's not going anywhere for awhile unless he totally craps the bed like Willy did. LeFevour must be late 20's & may be just a stop gap answer as I don't think he unseats Nichols anytime soon. He was signed as the veteran qb behind Nichols which may only be for this season. Then there's Dom Davis who is getting into his late 20's. He's the development qb who may take the #2 spot or settle in again at #3. The Bombers really don't need a raw rookie qb to develop right now. They have their 3 qbs. The question is who will be #2? That's why Apodaca was cut.

Agreed but Lefevour is not a stop gap as a backup, imo he's a solid backup option. He'll be a solid replacement if it is necessary to come in. Dom Davis could also be great coming in off the bench. I don't really get what the concern is at this point.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Could be a possibility. Seems strange for an unproven rookie QB to decline such an offer, though.

56 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

MOS said yesterday that they wouldn't have the PR room for a 4th QB at this time.

That's odd. A PR QB seems like a given.

18 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Agreed but Lefevour is not a stop gap as a backup, imo he's a solid backup option. He'll be a solid replacement if it is necessary to come in. Dom Davis could also be great coming in off the bench. I don't really get what the concern is at this point.

People want a proven commodity as a backup, we all know what happens when the franchise QB goes down. The season is basically over.

Problem is that 1A starters are hard to find. Guys like Lulay, Tate, Burris (temporarily) all got their jobs taken by a younger guy. I think that circles back to why there is such a thirst for the Bombers to have a "homegrown" QB prospect from fans, so that once the prospect is ready he can take over all the while there is a capable backup waiting.

For the time being, Lefevour is fine. I think that this team can win games with him if need be but I don't think it's an optimal or long term solution. Who knows what we have in Dom Davis, he played once two years ago in a meaningless game so maybe he becomes that guy but at almost 30 he has to make the jump right now.