Bombers cut Apodaca, Frederick and 9 more

Mike

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guess it doesn't matter who recruits who, it's who ends up starting where.

I wouldn't totally say that... BC ended up with Danny Vandevoort because of good QB recruiting...

I'd be surprised if Franklin doesn't get a decent haul

14 minutes ago, yogi said:

I'd say every team but Montreal, Hamilton, and us have scouted and developed a quality starter in that period. Even Ottawa found Kerry Joseph.

Could be. But like I said teams signs free agents so does it really matter? Teams have to keep the qbs they develop. Other than Mitchell, Durant (until Jones showed up) &Lulay, qbs go where the most money or best deal is.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Surely some of you don't think there's a conspiracy here, really? Players get cut.

the question is not conspiracy bu a questioning of MOS's judgment ... there has been reason to question part of it in the past and the suggestion that certain blind spots continue to exist to the detriment of the whole club ... others who see the flaw/s may end up in sharp disagreement ... that is the nature of the current discussion/emerging problem identification

8 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Not every GM can be a QB guru like Wally Buono (Garia, Dickenson, Burris, Pierce, Lulay, Reily, Jennings).

Hell, you can add Printers in there, sure he turned to chicken **** but dude had an MOP season in 2004 and a decent season in 2005.

Barker also has had a pretty good run in TO .. half the Eastern Division is starting Barker QBs.  Funny how the Argos aren't one of them.  Totally pulled a Vancouver Canucks there, turning two excellent prospects into zero excellent prospects.

15 hours ago, Mike said:

I do wonder if they're going to install any packages for The Fever to run. I don't necessarily know that I want him taking any snaps that are going to result in many throws, but I'd like to see some gadget stuff. He's athletic enough to work it.

Maybe do the old Double QBerooski with The Fever behind center and Dom Davis at wideout.

Would be nice to see a short yardage/goal line package for him to run the read option.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Surely some of you don't think there's a conspiracy here, really? Players get cut.

I think you are missing the point. The question was really about the initial  assessment of Apodaca as a potential CFL quarterback. 

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean, we got Faith Ekakitie because of good QB recruiting too.

I feel like that was more due to a complete implosion of the Toronto Argonauts management ha

Don't get me wrong, I'd be pumped if this team signs James Franklin or picks up Brock Jensen too

1 hour ago, tracker said:

I think you are missing the point. The question was really about the initial  assessment of Apodaca as a potential CFL quarterback. 

Yeah but every single team brings qbs up and cuts them, just because a guy doesn't work out doesn't mean the initial assessment was wrong. As I said in a previous post, they likely saw the physical tools and wanted to get an up close look and see if there was anything there to work with. After seeing the guy in a preseason game and through camp they decided that there wasn't. Happens with tons of players every single year in every city in the league. 

37 minutes ago, Mike said:

Still counts!

Yup... but so does missing out on the FA competition for Collaros and then Burris.

I just want to be excited about a potential franchise QB that the bombers have found - really thought Joey Elliott was that guy... hoped Marve might be...  

Will be good to see what Davis can really do, hopefully they give him most of Thursday's game - doesn't seem like he's really lit up a team yet...

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Yup... but so does missing out on the FA competition for Collaros and then Burris.

I just want to be excited about a potential franchise QB that the bombers have found - really thought Joey Elliott was that guy... hoped Marve might be...  

Will be good to see what Davis can really do, hopefully they give him most of Thursday's game - doesn't seem like he's really lit up a team yet...

Nichols gets the 1st half +........Davis and The Fever split the 2nd half...

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Something we agree on.

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Elliott was a bit mystifying because he didn't really play his way off the roster. He was a very productive QB at the time we let him go. Purely a decision based on his personality and willingness to buy into the system...not skill. Had Joey Elliott stayed within the playbook more often I still think he could have been a franchise QB.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Had he not had a coach who threw him under the bus, that might have helped also.

For all the talk of Mike Kelly and Joe Mack, etc, etc ... I think it is quite honestly Tim Burke who set this franchise back the most in his time here. He was an absolute disaster.

Burke didn't really want to be a H.C. in the first place, so I'm not sure you can put the blame squarely on his shoulders.

20 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Listen around 20:00, Bauming speaks to McManus about bringing in Apodaca.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/cfl-60-may-29-2017-1.764721

He scouted him for years. Could've been watching 5 minutes of tape a year for all we know. Doesn't mean anything other than he was on McManus's radar for a while....probably like a hundred other QBs.  At any rate, my point remains, there is no way that McManus would've known more about Apodaca or any other Bomber QB he recruited than the coaching staff would learn after a couple weeks of practice.

this thread is seriously coming unglued, BUT....I just want to make sure there's no revisionist history: At the time, Tim Burke was heralded as the next great HC-In-Waiting. He'd had one interview already for Als HC, and we knew it was just a matter of time before he got his shot, so Mack jumped the queue and gave him a position before someone else did. It just turned out that it completely backfired....