Bombers cut Apodaca, Frederick and 9 more

Mike

My feeling about the who's worse Kelly or Burke is that Burke just seemed like a guy who wasn't ready and suddenly realises that he didn't know what the heck he was doing (blank stare) whereas Kelly was like Jones a blow hard who really thinks he knows what he is doing. They think by doing something no one else is doing (Jet set or jetting in an over the hill NFLr) they are sooo smart. I hated those guys. I have had the pleasure of working for those kind of guys and the guys who are over the head. The actively bad are worse than the passively bad. 

2 hours ago, gcn11 said:

He scouted him for years. Could've been watching 5 minutes of tape a year for all we know. Doesn't mean anything other than he was on McManus's radar for a while....probably like a hundred other QBs.  At any rate, my point remains, there is no way that McManus would've known more about Apodaca or any other Bomber QB he recruited than the coaching staff would learn after a couple weeks of practice.

Okay, you have to admit you're starting to really reach here...  I think the argument that Danny Mac is not our point man for QB recruitment is officially dead.

24 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I am sort of ok with low risk Lapo and controlling turnovers but if our new DLine fails to get pressure on the QB .... it could be a long year if we are repeating last year's defensive stats .... as it stands we are totally dependent on winning the giveaway takeaway battle

Everyone is dependent on winning that battle.  If you hate football and this team so much, why bother?

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Plus you can basically scratch the top 200 QBs on the continent off your list and then start scouting.  Any QB who ends up in the CFL has significant flaws, it's just a matter of how they adapt to buttress around that.

this.  bang on.

its tough sledding to get a QB thats effective to come down to the CFL. NFL gets first crack of all the top guys.  then the next level guys too as they sit on developmental roster spots or camp fodder.. dreaming of playing in  the NFL..  we get the odd ones that fall thru the cracks who have potential but lack something.. and they flame out or cant get rid of the desire to chase the NFL dream..

then the 4th tier or scraps.  The cfl has to kiss a ton of frogs before they end up with their prices unfortunately.. its been this way for as long as I can re-member.

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

I remember that game. Never have I felt so disgusted by a Bomber coach and team in my entire life. I worked harder getting myself up out of bed at 6 AM on the Saturday to drive out to watch them than they did over that entire 60 minutes of football.

The worst part about that game is it wasn't even like we were making mistakes left, right and center. We just didn't care. I think we had two turnovers all game and we got smoked 52-0.

You know it's bad, when still in the first half yet, Rider fans were coming up to our group and thanking us for coming, sorry you have to witness this etc.  Nice of them, sure. I was still mad as hell the team showed absolutely no heart, no passion, nothing.  That's on Burke.

...I spent more energy than the Bombers that weekend doing beer bongs at 10am and stuffing bacon & sausage in my to-go cup at the breakfast buffet. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

You know it's bad, when still in the first half yet, Rider fans were coming up to our group and thanking us for coming, sorry you have to witness this etc.  Nice of them, sure. I was still mad as hell the team showed absolutely no heart, no passion, nothing.  That's on Burke.

...I spent more energy than the Bombers that weekend doing beer bongs at 10am and stuffing bacon & sausage in my to-go cup at the breakfast buffet. 

Dark days indeed. Those were the times I actually turned the TV off in disgust, but somehow managed to keep my gorge down long enough to watch the post-game highlights/lowlights. It was like watching your 8 year old kid being beaten up by a teenager but helpless to intervene beyond impotent rage.

Edited by tracker

Jonathon Jennings really reminds me of Elliott - he's a guy that I could see as an elite QB or completely out of the league in two years...

As for those quoting stats - in his last season, Elliott was 60% with 2100 yards in 7 games (on pace for 5000+ yards) and a zillion INTs... ahem...

He needed a QB coach - instead he went thru two crap OCs and a garbage OL - then Burke benched him for 'freelancing'

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I suspect you may have mistaken passive-aggressive "rubbing it in" for kindness.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

You're clearly not a Jets fan who has twitter.  This resembles 95% of our fanbase, it seems. But I digress...

Everybody wants to over simplify and label ... better to live off emotion than to think discretely with judgment .... sort of reminds me of the American political system

I see people talking about burke and kelly. Ill chime in. You can say what you want about mr kelly but you cant question his passion and his love of the bombers and this city. Coaching the bombers was his dream job. Yeah he was a loudmouth and did things that embarassed the team but... In football all that matters is winning and mike kelly was the last game of the season away from making the playoffs. Burke? Man oh man.. He was the opposite really... Nice guy... But very little passion showed. Bottom line tho... Mike Kellys bombers woop tim burkes bombers every day of the week. 

49 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

My feeling about the who's worse Kelly or Burke is that Burke just seemed like a guy who wasn't ready and suddenly realises that he didn't know what the heck he was doing (blank stare) whereas Kelly was like Jones a blow hard who really thinks he knows what he is doing. They think by doing something no one else is doing (Jet set or jetting in an over the hill NFLr) they are sooo smart. I hated those guys. I have had the pleasure of working for those kind of guys and the guys who are over the head. The actively bad are worse than the passively bad. 

I don't think Kelly was over his head.  He went on to win coach of the year for Widner College and run a pretty good program there.  I think he was too big for his britches and any adversity he had to deal with really rocked his ship.  His personal life coupled with the teams struggles really did him in..

his attitude at the time was also a detriment but I think if he was winning, it wouldn't have been considered so negatively..  I found it refereshing to see someone put the media in its place after they had creative control for so long.

Just now, Goalie said:

I see people talking about burke and kelly. Ill chime in. You can say what you want about mr kelly but you cant question his passion and his love of the bombers and this city. Coaching the bombers was his dream job. Yeah he was a loudmouth and did things that embarassed the team but... In football all that matters is winning and mike kelly was the last game of the season away from making the playoffs. Burke? Man oh man.. He was the opposite really... Nice guy... But very little passion showed. Bottom line tho... Mike Kellys  Mark Nelson's bombers woop tim burkes bombers every day of the week. 

fixed that for you

1 minute ago, BigBlue said:

Everybody wants to over simplify and label ... better to live off emotion than to think discretely with judgment .... sort of reminds me of the American political system

You seem to be quite negative all the time.. Theres nothing wrong with judging the team and talking about their flaws... The problem is when you do it all the time and you mr curious George are certainly guilty of that. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I remember that game. Never have I felt so disgusted by a Bomber coach and team in my entire life. I worked harder getting myself up out of bed at 6 AM on the Saturday to drive out to watch them than they did over that entire 60 minutes of football.

The worst part about that game is it wasn't even like we were making mistakes left, right and center. We just didn't care. I think we had two turnovers all game and we got smoked 52-0.

I was driving through Montana at the time and had asked my wife to text me updates. I think part of her enjoyed the suffering she was inflicting on me with each new text sent.

57 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Okay, you have to admit you're starting to really reach here...  I think the argument that Danny Mac is not our point man for QB recruitment is officially dead.

I don't think anyone was disputing that. The original thoughts that I was responding too was a poster insinuating that the Bombers coaches would know less about Apodaca than McManus even after seeing him in the April camp, rookie camp, and the first half of training camp. It is my argument that in that time span they would have learned as much, or more, about Apodaca than what McManus would have during scouting.

Edited by gcn11

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I see people talking about burke and kelly. Ill chime in. You can say what you want about mr kelly but you cant question his passion and his love of the bombers and this city. Coaching the bombers was his dream job. Yeah he was a loudmouth and did things that embarassed the team but... In football all that matters is winning and mike kelly was the last game of the season away from making the playoffs. Burke? Man oh man.. He was the opposite really... Nice guy... But very little passion showed. Bottom line tho... Mike Kellys bombers woop tim burkes bombers every day of the week. 

That's the bottom line...? That's like comparing two dumpster fires and debating on which one burns hotter. :huh:

A dumpster fire is a dumpster fire. The only difference is Burke didn't make personnel decisions like Kelly did. 

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That's the bottom line...? That's like comparing two dumpster fires and debating on which one burns hotter. :huh:

A dumpster fire is a dumpster fire. The only difference is Burke didn't make personnel decisions like Kelly did. 

Kellys team was 1 win away from making the playoffs. Burkes team? Did they win 5 games? I feel ppl misremeber that kelly team a bit because their judgment or memory only remembers the bad. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Kellys team was 1 win away from making the playoffs. Burkes team? Did they win 5 games? I feel ppl misremeber that kelly team a bit because their judgment or memory only remembers the bad. 

Yeah, so many years of trainwreck followed that its sad that Kelly looks good now...

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You seem to be quite negative all the time.. Theres nothing wrong with judging the team and talking about their flaws... The problem is when you do it all the time and you mr curious George are certainly guilty of that. 

that's quite a judgment and untrue .... I just will pick certain issues and stick with them until addressed .... I am upbeat on the Blue this year as most .... this is the best team and the best hope we have had since the Milt Steagall days ... I like MOS's leadership but he has flaws that are not minor and may cost us the championship this year or next .... I have lived and died by the Bombers since 1961 when I wasn't old enough to read the newspaper .... I love the Bombers and everything CFL (and in the last 15 years the New England Patriots)

Its far easier to label someone a Negatron than to have a fair and open discussion about the issues of the moment

You confuse Bomber loyalty with conformity and party line .... why do you think Kyle Walters has sharp disagreements with MOS .... do you put him in your  Negatron category too?

You seem as unreasoned as a babbling Democrat waving the Hillary flag mindlessly uttering party propaganda

Edited by BigBlue

2 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

that's quite a judgment and untrue .... I just will pick certain issues and stick with them until addressed .... I am upbeat on the Blue this year as most .... this is the best team and the best hope we have had since the Milt Steagall days ... I like MOS's leadership but he has flaws that are not minor and may cost us the championship this year or next .... I have lived and died by the Bombers since 1961 when I wasn't old enough to read the newspaper .... I love the Bombers and everything CFL (and in the last 15 years the New England Patriots)

Its far easier to label someone a Negatron than to have a fair and open discussion about the issues of the moment

You confuse Bomber loyalty with conformity and party line .... why do you think Kyle Walters has sharp disagreements with MOS .... do you put him in your  Negatron category too?

You seem as unreasoned as a babbling Democrat waving the Hillary flag mindlessly uttering party line

Whoa whoa whoa - that was an option?!?

This could have saved us a BUNCH of time lately.

Consider yourself labelled.

;)