Edmonton at Winnipeg June 15

Mr Dee

Was at the game. Bombers O line is in good form, hope they stay healthy. The running game is excellent - Harris and Flanders took full advantage of the gaps created by the line. Overall, the offence looking pretty sharp. Conversely, the defence is woeful. Last year they relied on turnovers but gave up the big play. If anything, this group looks to have regressed. Virtually no pressure up front or contain. Esks rook QB Kline reminded me of Tom WIlkinson - pudgy little fella but put heat on the ball in a way Wilkie never gcould. He had all day back there to throw. Hurl is not good enough to play MLB, Edmonton's O line was batting him around like a flea and he was either out of popsition or too slow to react to the play. Not sure if it is poor personnel or poor coaching but if I was MOS/Walters I'd be pretty worried right now after what I have seen of the D vs Riders and Esks. Honestly, I don't see this team making the playoffs with this D - it's bad.

Edited by Doublezero

36 minutes ago, BBlink said:

The refing was terrible. Chaosmonkey and I were having a hoot watching #84 on Edmonton go offside every play in the 4th quarter. It wasn't even close. 

That and some of the PI calls were pretty laughable.

The 4th quarter was comedic but wouldn't have been funny if it was regular season

Saw a couple of offsides early in the game as well, but yeah, they were pretty bloody obvious in the 4th.  Not sure where the refs were looking on those ones.

Overall a pretty exciting game for pre-season though, and it was great to see almost 25,000 people show up for the game on what turned out to be a pretty great night for football.  Thank God it's June!!

12 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Was at the game. Bombers O line is in good form, hope they stay healthy. The running game is excellent - Harris and Flanders took full advantage of the gaps created by the line. Overall, the offence looking pretty sharp. Conversely, the defence is woeful. Last year they relied on turnovers but gave up the big play. If anything, this group looks to have regressed. Virtually no pressure up front or contain. Hurl is not good enough to play MLB, Edmonton's O line was batting him around like a flea and he was either out of popsition or too slow to react to the play. Not sure if it is poor personnel or poor coaching but if I was MOS/Walters I'd be pretty worried right now after what I have seen of the D vs Riders and Esks. Honestly, I don't see this team making the playoffs with this D - it's bad.

Agree on Oline. Agree on running game. Agree on O. On D, I saw pressure from Westerman a few times, Nevis and ocopogo did well. You'll see them knocking down passes in due time, just like they do in practice. but Franklin is a pretty darn good qb and showed how he created some time for himself. And I agree on Hurl and he makes me want to...

.I'm hoping the D isn't as bad as you feel they are and I would also like see the Lb's being less porous. 

Edited by Rod Black

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not sure why people are worried about our defense considering they didn't do anything on the DL other than bullrush. It was as vanilla as it gets, and I noticed a lot of the breakdowns were when Butcher and/or Scott were in.

Mike, it's like this:

giphy.gif

Edited by Rod Black

So I took in the preseason game with my 7 year old brother. He was on the jumbo tron so pretty memorable experience for him I imagine.

anyway, didn't get to see allll of the game but I think I definitely saw enough.

...looks like our boys can play ball. The offence looked great, with all 3 qbs connecting on good throws. Not to mention the running game looking great with a few big runs/ catches from both Harris and Flanders. Offence line opened holes all night and was great in protection. Davis did have a bad " I'm under pressure" interception that was turned over because of penalty, but yeah, the kids got an arm. Made some great throws with great zip on the ball. Both Davis and lefleveur provide some great mobility in the pocket. Nichols just looked like an elite qb out there to me tonight. Slow start but the offence was really on for the rest of the night.

Lankford also found a way to be effective, with a couple good returns , a td, and drew some penalties too.  I was excited to see what Thorpe had but in his only touch ( I think?) he looked good.

lots of penalties tonight and some bogus calls imo... I also noticed John Rush making an impact on special teams. Chris Randle looked good too, but there is something missing with the bomber defence right now it seems....

......maybe a middle linebacker 

Edited by CodyT