3 stars + HH 2nd pre season game

wbbfan

Qb's all came as advertised. Nichols looked solid, Davis looked a bit shy still, but became more comfortable as he got more time. Danny, sandlot all the way. The O in general was really moving the ball nicely. The pass from Nichols to Adams for the TD was a thing of beauty! Too bad about thorpe, the one catch and run he had really showed some flashes.

Hurl, well as advertised. Did a solid job filling gaps. but never seemed to be around the ball. At this point I think he's the game 1 starter and I hope our OLB really pick it up. For all the talk all TC about how hurl wasn't enough. Where the F was WILD last night?

I think a surprise cut may be Fogg. Didn't look to solid out there playing in the 2nd half. His first return was a nice one though so that helps. But with Lankford and Thorpe able to return, plus all the talent in the backfield I could see him being the odd man out.

I wondered about Wild last year.  I remember that I thought he seemed to be chasing the ball carrier more than you would like, but I don't know if he was covering for someone else who missed a play, or  was himself out of position.

We might be missing Bass this season.

But before the passing game got rolling harris was the spark

So lucky to have that guy.... He was the spark last season too. He hates losing.

Hope that somehow or other the refs do not ruin games this year as they did last season. So far, not looking promising.

But, Two Enjoyable preseason games, despite some lapses into snoozery. glad to hear about the O line, from people that were at the game.

The chat room sure makes the game more entertaining.

I was not sure about our receivers, but looks like no worries there, and it certainly seems as though  the O is not going to be field goal dependent to the same extent as formerly. Red zone problem solved!

Edited by Mark F

12 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Also.. This is the best set of Quarterbacks the Bombers have had in years. I feel super comfortable going into the season with Nichols, Davis, and the fever.

best set of QBs and O-line too.. great building blocks.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

best set of QBs and O-line too.. great building blocks.

I don't care who gets the official #2 QB spot, I just hope O'Shea plays them to their strengths and ignores the ranking.  If Nichols struggles in the red zone again this year, Dan is the man, he's the "poor man's" version of Collaros and he can make things happen when it looks like nothing exists.  If they can earn some comfortable leads against Eastern opponents this year it would be nice to see Davis get sizeable chunks of playing time in those situations. O'Shea is now in his 4th year as H.C. so I hope he demonstrates that he's learned how to manage his QB's more effectively.

17 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Lots of good bomber players tonight. Nichols had a great first half though a slow start. 19/24, we'll over 200 yards, no ints, extrapolate those yards and it shows the qb did a fine job 

Harris was a beast. 

Davis had a hell of a time taking the snaps in the third. Then he found a groove. What a groove it was. The pass to Washington was a 59 yard gain. I'm not sure how effen far he threw that rock but Christ, to me that pass was the most spectacular play of the game. That ball must have travelled 70 -75 yards in the air and #77 really bust his butt to get under it. 

The rookie kicker mermaid-briere didn't hurt himself at all. He's no Medlock but he was composed and performed. He had the length, but was wide on 50 yard FG but darn, he has potential. He's far from being an Alex Serna. 

On special teams #32 Rush made several solid punishing hits. 

That O.L. Is mean. Well after a play, during a mild scrum, #60 Bond laid a huge vicious forearm to a Edmonton d lineman that sent him back. There was no penalty call but that O.L. Looks like it wants to punish people.

They had bond in at centre. And couture at guard. Im guessing they wanted to diversify guys. Moving them around so in case of injury during the season its easier to move em.

Merrman was solid and did well punting and kicking off. I dont think he would be out of place punting and kicking off in the cfl this year. But another year of college and he could be some thing really special. 

After soo many years of thin OLs. We finally seem to have a nasty OL with tons of depth. I think our best back ups would be about as good as our starting OL of not so long ago. 

17 hours ago, Stickem said:

Menard-Briere impresses the heck out of me...This kid is cool and has one heckuva leg...That was a nice pic by Walters and down the road will pay big dividends...If he can ever perfect his field goal attempts, folks we have a winner...Right now he's up against the best in the CFL in Medlock so I can see he'll be heading back to school BUT IF and when things change, I think we can call upon this guy in the future

Liked Langford in this one and I thought Dom Davis played up to par....as for some of our acquisitions defensively...I'll reserve comment until after the first 'real' game in 17 for comment.

Ive liked lankford in pre season. He reminds me of denny. Smooth runner who brings it and makes the most of his chances. Washington has better up side, but lankford is probably the most ready, and versatile guy we have for the final wr spot.