Penalties Galore

BigBlue

I don't know quite what to make of all the penalties tonight ...

For a moment I thought someone had hired the zebras to help with a Vegas bet on beating the odds of both preseason games ending in a tie; that would be quite a payout but then I slapped myself in the face: "Nah that coudn't be it"

So I am not sure what was behind all those pass interference and roughing the passer calls .... I don't think the zebras could have called that many in the huddle.... was it just new Yankee DBs not knowing our rules ... or do we have a coaching problem?

Or maybe the DB's were tickling the receivers with a feather?

BTW when was the last time we have seen an offensive pass interference call .. they seem to occur much more below the border but I can't think of why that would be fair ...

It must be that I am just blind and can't see without the benefit of the TSN broadcast crew

Tomorrow I will be interested in seeing the statistics .... I want to check to see if Edmonton's penalty yardage gained exceeded their total offensive output

10 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

On Edmonton's last touchdown an Esks receiver was clearly 5 yards offside yet there was no penalty.  

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Westerman roughing the passer was a joke, he was getting held blatantly with no call but then they throw the flag on the hit.

Sounds like CFL officiating to me. Inconsistent and generally lousy.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

Did anyone see the penalty on 3rd down that extended the game?... I didn't see it live and they didn't show a replay... I always find it suspicious when there's no replay...

I couldn't figure out what that roughing the passer call was all about... all I could figure from the extremely zoomed out replay was that maybe someone touched the QBs helmet... it looked marginal at best.

For all the flags they threw last night how they didn't throw one when (Lankford?) got popped out of bounds on a return was beyond me.  It was pretty damned obvious, official  right there .. and the entire sideline reacted to it.

As a general comment, I hate how much the CFL errs on the side of the offence when it comes to PI calls .. more than a few instances last night where the refs threw flags (against both teams) where I thought to myself, "Really?" Let defenders play for Christ sake.

12 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

On Edmonton's last touchdown an Esks receiver was clearly 5 yards offside yet there was no penalty.  

These are the ones that drive me absolutely bananas.  The officials are staring right down the line and yet miss this call at an alarming rate.  Yet, in short yardage situations, they can't wait to throw the flag on the defense when a DT has a finger nail inside the one yard.  Ridiculous.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

He was flagged for hitting Franklin low, not because the actual hit was late. As horrendous as CFL officiating is, they are quite consistent on this point.

I believe that was the first one but he received another later in the game, Irving said it was for a late hit but he may have made contact with the QB's helmet.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I believe that was the first one but he received another later in the game, Irving said it was for a late hit but he may have made contact with the QB's helmet.

On the post game show, Osh said she should have challenged the one late in the game.  He said he thought it was for a hit to the head but was told that  wasn't the reason for the flag.  I don't think he said what the actual reason was though, his point was more about that's the call he should have challenged but didn't.

I have been totally unable to find last nights game stats listed any where let alone details on same ... not on cfl.ca tsn or BB site    who keeps/posts these things

Stumbled across this site:

In scoring we were just above average but 3rd in the league in lowest points against per game ... just under 26

http://www.oddsshark.com/cfl/defensive-stats

Ed Tait:

"The inability to finish will drive the coaching staff bonkers. The Bombers gave up a last-second field goal in the tie to Saskatchewan last week and held a 38-23 lead into the final minute before giving up a TD, an onside kick, another TD with nine seconds left and then a two-point convert. Winnipeg was nailed for five defensive penalties in the final 1:48 of the game – three pass interference infractions, a roughing the passer and an offside. Those five gaffes totalled 64 yards and breathed life into the Edmonton rally."

Just now, BigBlue said:

Ed Tait:

"The inability to finish will drive the coaching staff bonkers. The Bombers gave up a last-second field goal in the tie to Saskatchewan last week and held a 38-23 lead into the final minute before giving up a TD, an onside kick, another TD with nine seconds left and then a two-point convert. Winnipeg was nailed for five defensive penalties in the final 1:48 of the game – three pass interference infractions, a roughing the passer and an offside. Those five gaffes totalled 64 yards and breathed life into the Edmonton rally."

While it's a fair point. Talking about the last minute mistakes the past two weeks doesn't make sense to me. Most if not all of the players won't be in game one. And our Defence will be running it's actually scheme all game. If this continues into weeks 3-4-5 etc than that's something. But right now, the guys who gave that up won't be remembered in 2 weeks. I didn't read the article but I hope he takes that into account.

There was also at least one play where the refs missed a call to our benefit. Can't remember exactly when, 3rd quarter I think, but one our pass rushers ended up absolutely clotheslining the edm QB in the head just as the pass was thrown with no call made by the refs. 

15 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

It happened right in front of us and the guy just went off. Even his dad that is usually very grumpy told him to relax it's only preseason.

Haha yeah. We were laughing at it moreso. Regular season I would have been pissed. But I doubt they let that go in regular season.