Quest for Middle Linebacker

BigBlue

I think the question here is not why cant we sign one. Its why cant we find / develop one. And idk. Maybe its our system. A guy who can plug up the run and do some pass rushing shouldnt be hard to find. god knows BC and other teams have managed. But then some teams struggle to find DBs while we find tons. 

I have not been a fan of Hurl. If he is standing in the right spot and the play comes to him, he can cope. He doesn't seem to be able to recognize  the unfolding play in time to flow to the right spot. If Poop Johnson is as good as or better than Okapalaugo, there's money to saved there, and maybe we can trade him for a good MLB.

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

I have not been a fan of Hurl. If he is standing in the right spot and the play comes to him, he can cope. He doesn't seem to be able to recognize  the unfolding play in time to flow to the right spot. If Poop Johnson is as good as or better than Okapalaugo, there's money to saved there, and maybe we can trade him for a good MLB.

again they play different position. 

7 minutes ago, tracker said:

The point is that Okpalaugo is earning a big dollar and hasn't stood out for two games now. The money could be better spent elsewhere-ie: MLB.

I get the point he's trying to make. 

We only have Jeffcoat, Green as the other DEs on the roster. I've seen enough of Green. Jeffcoat, yeah sure he showed pretty well the last 2 pre-season games but I've seen that before with the other DEs brought to camp the previous years - Hubbard, Cole to name a few - and where are they now? 

You have to pay for top-end talent.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

6 minutes ago, tracker said:

The point is that Okpalaugo is earning a big dollar and hasn't stood out for two games now. The money could be better spent elsewhere-ie: MLB.

He was outstanding with the Argos and he's Canadian which lets us have more flexibility. Not singing Okpaluago means we probably start an American at DE which means we're likely starting Hurl at MLB regardless. 

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He was outstanding with the Argos and he's Canadian which lets us have more flexibility. Not singing Okpaluago means we probably start an American at DE which means we're likely starting Hurl at MLB regardless. 

Okpalaugo is an international. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

5 minutes ago, tracker said:

Kinda too late now as these decisions are made in January & February when it comes to setting budgets for free agency at each position. Myself, I think  if we have to rely on Hurl as our starter because of ratio &/or money then we entirely missed the boat as an organization. He never showed in 2015 he was capable of being a starting Mac lber. Why do they think he is capable now?

My guess what will happen...

The DL will be Westerman/Corney | Nevis/Johnson | Thomas/Butcher | Okpalaugo

I think Ekakitie will be at the 46 to start the season.

The LB will be Wild/Briggs/Gauthier | Hurl/Knox/Thomas | Leggett 

I think the rotation will be...

- If Thomas or Butcher is in the other DT spot, we see Knox (or any Intl MLB) in the middle.

- If Johnson is in the other DT spot. Hurl will be in the middle. 

13 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

My guess what will happen...

The DL will be Westerman/Corney | Nevis/Johnson | Thomas/Butcher | Okpalaugo

I think Ekakitie will be at the 46 to start the season.

The LB will be Wild/Briggs/Gauthier | Hurl/Knox/Thomas | Leggett 

I think the rotation will be...

- If Thomas or Butcher is in the other DT spot, we see Knox (or any Intl MLB) in the middle.

- If Johnson is in the other DT spot. Hurl will be in the middle. 

Butcher couldn't even figure out how to line up properly on Thursday night.  I'd be shocked if he makes the roster and I really only think he sticks around if they think they can turn him around to OL.  Doug Brown has expressed this as well, that Butcher "is an O-lineman."

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Butcher couldn't even figure out how to line up properly on Thursday night.  I'd be shocked if he makes the roster and I really only think he sticks around if they think they can turn him around to OL.  Doug Brown has expressed this as well, that Butcher "is an O-lineman."

if that happens that willbe a wasted pick again. and we will see other teams benefiting from our original pick. see Lattanzio.

1 minute ago, M.O.A.B. said:

if that happens that willbe a wasted pick again. and we will see other teams benefiting from our original pick. see Lattanzio.

A 6th round pick.  Why do you think Butcher will be like Lattanzio?  Lattanzio was a hell of a CIS player who is undersized, there wasn't much doubt he could play somewhere in the CFL, at least special teams.

14 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

he said he looks like an oline man. hes built more like a guard then a traditional DT. 

10 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Another option the Bomber could have drafted either of the Herdman bros. in a later round if they were planning on using a Natl. MLB.

I think the original plan was to start an International @ MLB. 

It' so happens that with Poop Johnson's play they are considering to start to International @ both DT position and a National @ MLB to alter the ratio.