Quest for Middle Linebacker

BigBlue

On 6/16/2017 at 6:00 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

You honestly think those guys are going to start as rookies?

Never said that.  My point is that if they had a sliver of an inkling a few months ago that there was a possibly of starting a Natl. at MLB this season, then it stands to reason that they probably should have considered bringing in more than one candidate in that category.  After all, Sam Hurl is not quite as unique as Andrew Harris and should not win his job by default. 

7 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Never said that.  My point is that if they had a sliver of an inkling a few months ago that there was a possibly of starting a Natl. at MLB this season, then it stands to reason that they probably should have considered bringing in more than one candidate in that category.  After all, Sam Hurl is not quite as unique as Andrew Harris and should not win his job by default. 

Those guys aren't candidates.  Thomas Miles has played and started.  Is he not depth?

On 2017-06-16 at 2:57 PM, Atomic said:

In general perhaps, but this regime has proven thus far that they cannot find an MLB and they are more than capable of finding good DB's.  Play to your strengths.

It's sad that "Good enough" has become the new standard around here.

for the role expected of the MLB in our defense, why is that so crazy to you?  We have been trying to find a dominant D-line (which is the reason why our LB core can be less then spectacular.   People get so hung up on preconceived notions around here.   MLB doesn't NEED to be a stud. they can be a game manager just like a game manager QB..  Hes got the smarts to make sure everyone is where they need to be and hes got the skills to make the tackles when they need to be.  Hes also very much a systems guy so when hes assigned a gap, he sticks to it until the very bitter end and thats why he gets caught "out of position" he usually is in his position but then has to cover for either a blown gap by the D-line or by the WIL. 

Hes far from a superstar but hes definitely solid and dependable and more then capable of the handling the mental side of things.

I love watching the d because it's fun to cheer and be loud the whole time.

MLB is one of my favorite positions to watch, along with the DEs. It can make tackles off the run, off the pass, etc. It can move forward on blitzes and drop back for interceptions. I want a stud LB core because it's fun as a fan to watch.

But what's more fun? Winning.

If Hurl is the guy because it means $$ is freed up elsewhere, then so be it.

Just win, baby, and I'll have fun.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:49 PM, BigBlue said:

I find it remarkable that with our head coach having been one of the great mlb's that has ever played in this league he can not produce a clone of himself .... 

We have been recruiting for this position forever and our only success has been Muamba ... and we couldn't keep him

We could have had a certain all star out of Montreal this spring but stuck our nose up in the air ... don't say salary cap, say something about management's attitude towards cap management,  adjustments and tradeoffs ..... schemes fit the personnel not vice versa .... you fit plans to personnel

Hurl is a STer and nothing more ... never will be

When in the last decade have we  brought in a stud MLB?

What is the real problem here?

SIGH !!!

With your wealth of knowledge you should be the next GM of the squad.