Second Round Final Cuts

Noeller

11 minutes ago, yogi said:

Any source in this? 

Walters in the post draft combine, (mentioned with the gray pick and the not having to pay a 2nd first round pick right away) in the freep and to bob irving (first pre season game) in response to bear woods release,  again just before and after early free agency etc. 

9 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think we're fine. We just cut Stafford. We're at a competitive salary cap for sure but if the bombers were really that tight they would of traded down from the first overall pick. 

Unless you spend like a drunken sailor (popp in montreal) its hard to be in that bad of a spot sms wise. We allways have the ability to free up room by moving away from newfie with out hurting our active core at that. So id say we are ok. If we were in a good spot, we'd a signed bear woods. The difference between woods and hurl as our starting MLBer is like the difference between bond at centre and guard :lol: or the difference between bennett in TC vs pre season. 

How often after the draft order is known has the first over all been traded? i dont think its nearly that simple. But in general we have the young guys to be able to replace vet salary if we really need. 

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

At a key position it sure can hinder. I'd rather be meh at half back, nose quard, safety than at linebacker.

Think back to some of the mid 2000s teams and think about the good linebackers and crappy halfbacks we had and see if you still hold that same line of thinking. 

No one has stood out at mlb in the last few years, even good players (though naturally outside guys not inside guys admittedly) so that to me indicates that the defense we are running isn't set up to make the mlb the playmaking star. 

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

At a key position it sure can hinder. I'd rather be meh at half back, nose quard, safety than at linebacker.

Sure can. Look at the difference in our OL last year with and with out newfie. Look at our grey cup when glenn was hurt. Look at the struggles we had at various points in time when we had bad centres and guys who couldnt snap playing centre. Good teams with no qb etc. In a team sport the weakest link is the most important position and one weak link can ruin you with ease.

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Defensive halfback is an immensely important position. If you'd rather be weak there you are crazy.

In the cfl if i had to pick a position to sacrifice at it would be DT.  The last position would be any DB. 

6 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Defensive halfback is an immensely important position. If you'd rather be weak there you are crazy.

I'm obviously not saying it's unimportant but more than linebacker if you absolutely had to chose? Not on my defense. If you have 12 starters and two of them are average, not linebackers please.  And I don't think I'm crazy and I'd rather have a better linebacking core than my half back core. I do agree with 17to85 that it depends on who is profiled more in your defensive scheme. I'd rather profile my linebacking core. That's just my preference. And the thing that no one can get around is Hurl's performance. Great effort, average performance.

9 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'm obviously not saying it's unimportant but more than linebacker if you absolutely had to chose? Not on my defense. If you have 12 starters and two of them are average, not linebackers please.  And I don't think I'm crazy and I'd rather have a better linebacking core than my half back core. I do agree with 17to85 that it depends on who is profiled more in your defensive scheme. I'd rather profile my linebacking core. That's just my preference. And the thing that no one can get around is Hurl's performance. Great effort, average performance.

When passing is 80 percent of the game I'll take the half.

So we PR'd Spooner and released Intzandt? How does Neufeld keep surviving cuts lol.  

so this second round sees us cut;

2016 5th rounder (37th overall) Zach Intzandt

2016 6th rounder (46th over all) Rupert Butcher

2017 6th rounder (50th over all) Ian Marouf

2017 7th rounder (59th overall) Brendon Thera-Plamondon

and we already cut 2017 8th rounder Taylor Henry....

I realize a lot of these guys have slim chances to make any impact,  but If we're just going to waste late rounders,  is there nothing we can do with these picks ahead of time via trade for something we could use? I understand that's very Taman-esque, but it just appears we are wasting these picks anyways. 

19 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

So we PR'd Spooner and released Intzandt? How does Neufeld keep surviving cuts lol.  

so this second round sees us cut;

2016 5th rounder (37th overall) Zach Intzandt

2016 6th rounder (46th over all) Rupert Butcher

2017 6th rounder (50th over all) Ian Marouf

2017 7th rounder (59th overall) Brendon Thera-Plamondon

and we already cut 2017 8th rounder Taylor Henry....

I realize a lot of these guys have slim chances to make any impact,  but If we're just going to waste late rounders,  is there nothing we can do with these picks ahead of time via trade for something we could use? I understand that's very Taman-esque, but it just appears we are wasting these picks anyways. 

Just how often are you expecting to see 6th rounders (and about) actually making an impact?   Sure, it will happen from time to time, but not often enough to worry about.  Every team "wastes them".

Edited by WBBFanWest

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

Just how often are you expecting to see 6th rounders (and about) actually making an impact?   Sure, it will happen from time to time, but not often enough to worry about.

that is my point, were hanging onto these picks, and subsequently releasing them. Could we not offer them up for a trade to a team looking to dump some sms space that could help us?

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

And you expect other teams to give us anything of value for them???  Good luck with that.

It's not a matter of them "wanting" to give us something of value as much as teams recently have found themselves in situations of either needing to unload $$ due to SMS limits or they were likely to lose these players for nothing via FA. This is where these later picks have the most value as it's "better then nothing" to those teams with the assets.

I'm not in favor of trading away high draft picks (I'd say 1-3 round) but these later ones who are clearly doing nothing for us the last few years could be turned into something more promising, but Walters doesn't seem like a wheeling and Dealing kinda guy when it comes to trades as far as I can tell for the most part 

**Edit** other than the drew willy trade, but anyone would make that trade 1000x over

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

2 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Overall this is our deepest team we've had in years and probably the best depth we've had at NI. For that I'll give Walters a lot of credit he's built a good fundamental team.

I'd agree and the funny thing is that it wasn't so long ago that many people wanted to blow the whole thing up or didn't believe in our "rookie" GM.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It was not too long ago that the Bombers proudly displayed one of the best middle linebackers in the league while having a "meh" defense elsewhere...

Henoc Muamba and 2013, methinks? That turned out swell didn't it?

Just now, Eternal optimist said:

It was not too long ago that the Bombers proudly displayed one of the best middle linebackers in the league while having a "meh" defense elsewhere...

Henoc Muamba and 2013, methinks? That turned out swell didn't it?

It was good while it lasted. It will be interesting to see how well he fares this year in Regina with a suspect D-line in front of him.

44 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Only 21 NAT on the 46. includes 4 NAT OL - Goossen, Chungh, Couture & Neufeld,

Does that means we carry 7 OLs on gameday this year? 

I counted 20 but then I counted 22 lol. Looks like both reserve positions will be oline men. One national, one import.

Couture and Foketi? A lot can happen before the first game.

We still need to put guys on IR too

Edited by BBlink