How does our week 2 roster shape up?

Mike

This is why as a fan I come to this forum for Bombers news. Can't rely on mainstream media any longer to get it right or even really get it at all. I can't think of one unique insight or interesting tidbit I picked up from Freep or radio or Sun during TC and after ...... that we didn't already know. It's just a function of the disruption and marginalization of the news media that has occurred in the digital age. They can't compete on news and their opinions are almost worthless.

I wonder if it's DiAndre Campbell ... we released him after rookie camp, when I thought he looked pretty decent and I wondered if it was injury related ... he wore #19 in college/NFL ... he'd be about the right size

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Is Lankford a lock to be our 4th imp receiver? MOS was pretty high on L'Damian Washington in a recent interview

I would rather they start Lankford early in the season to find out whether he's going to be an impact player or just another place-holder.  He earned the nick-name "Klankford" in Sask. so his hands may be questionable and this is not a truth we want to discover going down the stretch.  They cut a lot of good prospects to keep him on and as a walk-on he has a degree of desperation on his side, so put his feet to the fire and let's see if he can contribute, otherwise cut bait and keep searching for the next Manny.  

Washington looks like he has the potential to be a game breaker but as a rookie he will benefit from watching a few games from the sidelines first, plus he's going to pickup plenty of reps. soon enough so he'll have plenty of opportunity to show his stuff.

Fogg can...Heath does too tho I'd wish they didn't risk injuring him there..Harris can too but same with Heath it's a risk.

Most likely will be Lankford sharing it with Fogg..Lankfrd being the DI...well both them as DI 

1 minute ago, BigBlue said:

After all these years I have never figured out why a punt returner (Fogg) can't do just as well returning kickoffs ....

My understanding is that that's like asking "Why can't a QB do just as well playing Defensive Tackle??"

13 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

After all these years I have never figured out why a punt returner (Fogg) can't do just as well returning kickoffs ....

I think a lot has to do with the blockers formations prior to the kick.  on a kick off the players are spread out a lot more across the field vs a punt return that sees most of your blockers start off at the LOS so you don't get many blocks till you take it a little ways.

I'd imagine the desired skill set might be a little different too. IE: punt returner should have a strong initial burst of speed after the catch  and a kick returner should have more shifty moves to navigate through the blockers that are more spread out

33 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Punt returns are more about catching the ball, finding holes and utilizing your shiftiness whereas kick returns have much less pressure in terms of catching the ball and a larger focus on straight-ahead speed and following your block.  It's a similar but different skillset, some can do both.  Fogg got a shot at it last year and was just average while he's great on punt returns.  I'd like to see him get another chance at it.

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Washington has the size but a bit on the thin side (6'4"and 198lb) but is no stranger to tragedy: Father was shot and killed in 1996 and his mother died from complications of a blood clot during one of his basketball games in his sophomore year of high school in Louisiana.

7 hours ago, Atomic said:

I could see Flanders on the roster only if he is also being used as a kick returner, which doesn't seem likely at this point.

Or of our offense could make use of a rotational piece like him. Packages with harris in the slot, and flanders for harris sub packs etc. But we saw last year plop really doesnt do that. With harris, mcduffie etc. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Or of our offense could make use of a rotational piece like him. Packages with harris in the slot, and flanders for harris sub packs etc. But we saw last year plop really doesnt do that. With harris, mcduffie etc. 

Yes.  If they really want him on the roster they can make it happen.  I just don't see it happening.