How does our week 2 roster shape up?

Mike

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Man can we ever not scout receivers. Even Washington was not a find of ours.

What is it with this group of scouts?

Glad Thorpe is sticking around.

That's what happens when you recruit so heavily from open free agent camps.  No one else operates that way.

Just now, Atomic said:

That's what happens when you recruit so heavily from open free agent camps.  No one else operates that way.

Can't say I agree with that. Plenty of teams operate like that. Besides ... what would that have to do with anything, even if it were true? There are probably more receivers than nearly any other position in football and we can't find ANY?

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can't say I agree with that. Plenty of teams operate like that. Besides ... what would that have to do with anything, even if it were true? There are probably more receivers than nearly any other position in football and we can't find ANY?

None of the good teams operate like that.  It's highly unusual that we run totally open free agent camps and charge prospects to come try-out.  It's outdated.  Most teams run camps but they are invite only, with MAYBE a few open ones in densely populated areas.  I'd bet we run the most open camps by far.

It has everything to do with everything!  It's not like receiver is the only position we struggle to recruit for.  Yes we have found some DBs.  Every other position group is basically a desert in terms of our recruiting.

35 minutes ago, Atomic said:

None of the good teams operate like that.  It's highly unusual that we run totally open free agent camps and charge prospects to come try-out.  It's outdated.  Most teams run camps but they are invite only, with MAYBE a few open ones in densely populated areas.  I'd bet we run the most open camps by far.

It has everything to do with everything!  It's not like receiver is the only position we struggle to recruit for.  Yes we have found some DBs.  Every other position group is basically a desert in terms of our recruiting.

The funny thing is, I remember the opposite argument when Joe Mack didn't do it at all. It's not highly unusual that we run open camps at all.

Saskatchewan runs just as many open cam ... ah, dammit. :(

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

The funny thing is, I remember the opposite argument when Joe Mack didn't do it at all. It's not highly unusual that we run open camps at all.

Saskatchewan runs just as many open cam ... ah, dammit. :(

I never agreed with that argument, and Mack brought in way more quality prospects, IMO, at least in his first 2 years here.

It's not that open camps are unusual.  It's that we run so damn many of them that's unusual.

58 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Winnipeg, Calgary, BC, Montreal, Saskatchewan I know for sure with 100% certainty run open camps...so not sure where you get your info from. I pretty sure Edm does too as that is a Paul Jones trait.

Nothing wrong with those kind of camps as many excellent players have come from them. I believe Ricky Ray was found at one..Leggett, as well

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Winnipeg, Calgary, BC, Montreal, Saskatchewan I know for sure with 100% certainty run open camps...so not sure where you get your info from. I pretty sure Edm does too as that is a Paul Jones trait.

Nothing wrong with those kind of camps as many excellent players have come from them. I believe Ricky Ray was found at one..Leggett, as well

Never said the other teams don't run open camps.  Also never said you can't find good players at open camps.

I believe we simply do it more, and rely upon it more heavily than others and more heavily than we should.

But sure, everyone can point at me and tell me I'm so wrong, because look at all the awesome players we bring in.  Go Bombers!!  Blue and Gold for life!!!  Yum-yum kool-aid!

You said none of the good teams do it...so I guess Edm/Cgy/BC aren't good teams either.

And the point of holding many is to cover all areas of the U.S to have a broader brush looking for talent. Has nothing to do with Kool Aide drinkers and kind of points a bit too some immaturity issues and a bit of ignorance on how teams scout and allocate budgets for it.

At a lot of these camps there are invited/scouted players too, who are brought there to evaluate against other players...much like a mini camp and it saves the teams money and time in not bringing in a player come training camp just to be evaluated and cut within days. Allows you to bring in the best scouted players for camp.

Teams have been doing it for decades now, it's just more widely known due to the age we live in. 

Also the charging of the prospects is to eliminate the chances of every highschool superstar wannabe from coming out and wasting everyone's time.  

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

You said none of the good teams do it...so I guess Edm/Cgy/BC aren't good teams either.

And the point of holding many is to cover all areas of the U.S to have a broader brush looking for talent. Has nothing to do with Kool Aide drinkers and kind of points a bit too some immaturity issues and a bit of ignorance on how teams scout and allocate budgets for it.

At a lot of these camps there are invited/scouted players too, who are brought there to evaluate against other players...much like a mini camp and it saves the teams money and time in not bringing in a player come training camp just to be evaluated and cut within days. Allows you to bring in the best scouted players for camp.

Teams have been doing it for decades now, it's just more widely known due to the age we live in. 

Also the charging of the prospects is to eliminate the chances of every highschool superstar wannabe from coming out and wasting everyone's time.  

While I greatly respect your opinion, it's also clear you are hugely biased towards the Bombers and I don't believe you have any more info on this particular facet of the business than I do.

And once again, never said ANYONE doesn't do it but instead that we do it more often.  Teams like CGY/BC/EDM may run the open camps but not with nearly the same frequency as we do.  And consequently they bring in more quality prospects, and that's not up for debate.

Not biased at all...but have been heavily involved in the sport...in Canada and the U.S, and in the business side and recruitment methods, not to mention still have ties with higher ranking management people on many teams so I think that I do have a pretty intimate amount of info into these things, moreso than most people on here.

As well as being involved in player recruitment and development in the U.S  and whats involved in it, and who and where a lot of the deep thinkers are this is not an uncommon practice and it's actually promoted....but hey...opinions vary and people will say/post/vouch for what they believe in or think they know...

Fair enough.  No one has more intimate knowledge about this than CFL GM's themselves and yet they still make mistakes and bad decisions.  Access to information doesn't necessarily mean one's opinion is correct.  But I have no interest in ****-measuring about how well-connected we are.  You can say we do it exactly the same as every other team, I would disagree and say that there are flaws in our recruitment.  The proof is in the pudding as they say.

There's hits and misses all over, and no GM ever gets everything correct. 

No we don't do everything the same as every other team, and every other team doesn't do things the same as each other either, but I would bet 90 percent of the teams do these free-agent camps...cause that's basically what they are, and agents are constantly calling GM's about when and where they are going to be held. 

The NFL hold camps too, but not to the extent of CFL teams, tho you'de be surprised where they are paying people to scout players year round..China..Europe...which probably seems like a major waste of money and resources...but hey you never know

I bet 80 percent of players are directed to them via Sports Management Agencies and in a lot of the cases the Agencies pay the registration fee for it...probably something most people didn't realize.

The more avenues you use to find players, and the more stones you overturn, the better chance you have of it paying off. It's just tougher in the CFL as depending on how your roster is built, and how your ratio is constructed it makes it more difficult to fill spots in with the best Imports because you just can't make it wotrk.

Just now, JCon said:

Why? Debate is good.

this is the most useless conversation I've ever heard.

Different regimes, different scouts, different coaches, different systems, different qbs.

Walters has been bringing in good talent in my books, couple holes but not like they aren't still bringing in guys. Talking about what Taman and Kelly did is really a waste of time.

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

this is the most useless conversation I've ever heard.

It's literally one of the more interesting discussions we've had on this board in the past little while, but if you don't like hearing about the processes of a front office from a guy like Booch who would most certainly know ... to each their own.