Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

39 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

there's also a lot of band on the cusp of big things around canada that would love to play a packed stadium of 20-30K

yup.  It's a lot of exposure for a young band, and a big thrill to play in front of that many people.

2 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Sean Paul? wasn't he big once for like a few months in 2004.. I doubt anyone who wasn't attending the game would go just to see Sean Paul.

Edmonton brought in Flo Rida to play at half time last year as well so it's not just guys 20 years past their heyday.

44 minutes ago, tracker said:

If there are bands, it might bring in a few extra people, but what the team needs is a winning tradition and entertaining football, not a team that plays occasional quarters and flubs winnable games with the same passive play selection.

that is true in terms of getting those fans hooked on football, but the way I see it, is there are a lot of people who generally wont watch football on the game alone,  but will tune into games like the Grey Cup or Superbowl strictly because of the half time show.  I'm sure if a market like Toronto had the side appeal of a band like Billy Talent or Vancouver had i dunno lets say Theory of a Deadman as part of a regular season game day appeal they would increase ticket sales.

I'm sure the organizations don't really care why the people are there, they just want them there period. 

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Wasn't it in the mid-90s that the Bombers were struggling at the gate that they had bands play before the game in hopes up increasing attendance. 

I also recall around 07-08 the Bombers had bands play at the south end tailgate area.

Cal brought in Roxette once. That's the only one i remember.

21 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

There's currently a band that plays covers in the tailgate area but it lacks the appeal of seeing an actual band playing their own big catchy tunes. I do enjoy their rendition of Fight for your Right by the Beastie Boys tho

The band was there for the home opener but not last game. I didn't mind them overall but bands shud be outlawed against covering The Hip. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Ugh....they have destroyed my bar.....

I spent a lot of time in Brandon i guess coming on 2 years ago now, every time I went to play VLTs at the Royal Oak (next door to Houstons) it was always full of what appeared to be preppy dbags. It turned me off from ever wanting to go for drinks there.  Spent more time at the Keystone motor inn for the peelers or the 40 if i was out see live bands

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I spent a lot of time in Brandon i guess coming on 2 years ago now, every time I went to play VLTs at the Royal Oak (next door to Houstons) it was always full of what appeared to be preppy dbags. It turned me off from ever wanting to go for drinks there.  Spent more time at the Keystone motor inn for the peelers or the 40 if i was out see live bands

It was a MUCH different place circa 2000, trust me.......but, then again, so was Brandon, itself...

I think most clubs have decided that there are two reasons not to spend money on half time shows.  First, it really doesn't do much for attendance if you don't spend the money on a band with significant draw - who is spending the coin on a ticket to hear a 10 minute concert on a makeshift stage.  The second reason is that you want everyone to get up and spend money on concessions. 

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

yeah I should have reiterated on preppy dbag, i think it depended on the night, but for the most part it was akin to U4ia back in the late 90's

I was at u4ia quite a bit in the late 90's and it was more so full of outcasts and ravers in 1999.      I rarely saw preppy people going to that bar.  That was more of a wise guys type of thing. 

40 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I was at u4ia quite a bit in the late 90's and it was more so full of outcasts and ravers in 1999.      I rarely saw preppy people going to that bar.  That was more of a wise guys type of thing. 

If you can't spot the preppy D.B.'s......

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

5 hours ago, MC said:

I think most clubs have decided that there are two reasons not to spend money on half time shows.  First, it really doesn't do much for attendance if you don't spend the money on a band with significant draw - who is spending the coin on a ticket to hear a 10 minute concert on a makeshift stage.  The second reason is that you want everyone to get up and spend money on concessions. 

Super dogs are the way to go for every half time. Watching dogs jump over stuff and catch frisbees is ten times more entertaining than some band with terrible sound in an inappropriately-sized venue. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

I found this interesting, even though it's coming from Jones...

Wasn't  it in the Calgary game where the receiver ran into Randle, on the other side of the field from where the ball was thrown, and Dickenson challenged it and won?

I believe the same thing happened in Calgary last year too.

I know you guys don't like Jones, but it was about time someone said it out loud. Bowman does it all the time, runs right at the db until contact is made.

Calgary seems to have things quite in order in regards to challenges. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed this. They are ever ready to signal the Coach for a challenge and their spotters are vigilant in that regard. Any minor offence, away from the play, is duly noted and relayed to Dickenson in case they need a call.

I can't go as far as Jones has stated, but it doesn't seem too far off the mark.

This is result of these 'fishing calls' that I'm sure Calgary leads the league in. It's tiring and shouldn't be part of this otherwise highly entertaining sport. 

28 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I know you guys don't like Jones, but it was about time someone said it out loud. Bowman does it all the time, runs right at the db until contact is made.

the offenses are playing within the rules and using them to their best advantage.. is that not the name of the game on offense?  score points, move the ball however it needs to be done?

I think the problem is more so that DB's need to realize how the rules work and play off the receiver when they can and close when the ball arrives.   I don't believe we have drawn a ton of PI flags this season.. 

*shrug*  I think this is more Jones just being Jones and looking for yet another thing to slag another team over to try and deflect from his own woes.