Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

58 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

where is home for him now?  I'd expect he'll wind up as special teams guy for some third rate college in the US South, with Mike Kelly being the receivers coach at the same school. 

actually, Mike Kelly just won a national champion ship as a Head Coach for Widener University as well as MAC coach of the year..

4 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

actually, Mike Kelly just won a national champion ship as a Head Coach for Widener University as well as MAC coach of the year..

Good for him.  As long as he's not employed by the Bombers, I hope all his days are rosy and his sewer never backs up.

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Was the national championship handled internally?

I get a lot of people were rubbed the wrong way by Kelly in his time here.. I'm just sayin' its not like hes a coach of reinbold failure levels.  Hes won and done it at a few different levels.    his second go round here was an epic failure on many levels but it wasnt due to his inabilities to coach.

3 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I get a lot of people were rubbed the wrong way by Kelly in his time here.. I'm just sayin' its not like hes a coach of reinbold failure levels.  Hes won and done it at a few different levels.    his second go round here was an epic failure on many levels but it wasnt due to his inabilities to coach.

Oh I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this...I mean, his philosophies on offense, alone...........

5 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Kelly was, at best, a mediocre head coach with a Trumpian ego and temperament.  He might have eventually become a respectable head coach at the pro level if he had just checked his ego and mouth at the door.

6 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Reinebold was part of a staff that turned around a SMU that was given the death penalty and never expected to come back to any relevance.  Not to mention being part of the a Hawaii team that went to the Sugar bowl that is not spouse to happen.

8 hours ago, TheSource said:

It's amazing how much the game was changed. The physicality of the DB's, quarterbacks often under centre, lots of play action. Quite something to watch.

Also, so many great names from the past. Alfred Jackson, Chris Walby, Miles Gorrell, and of course Matt Dunigan. Captain Obvious statement but Damn could he ever sling that ball.

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

Oh I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this...I mean, his philosophies on offense, alone...........

call bullshit all you want man, he had Lefors and Michael Bishop as his QBs.. what are you gonna do with that offense beyond, throw it a million miles and hope for the best?

you telling me he went from being a horrific coach to coach of the year and winning a championship in 5 years?

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

call bullshit all you want man, he had Lefors and Michael Bishop as his QBs.. what are you gonna do with that offense beyond, throw it a million miles and hope for the best?

you telling me he went from being a horrific coach to coach of the year and winning a championship in 5 years?

You telling me you cant see the difference between coaching pro ball and college? 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You telling me you cant see the difference between coaching pro ball and college? 

oh christ.  of course I can.  but at the end of the day, its still pretty telling if you can win a championship AND a coach of the year honour at  the american university level (even if its not in a big conference or division) 

Like i said, it wasn't his coaching abilities that did him in here.. it was his attitude and style of trying to run things.  You and Noeller can disagree all you want, you'll both still be wrong..

(for the record, I'm not saying hes a great coach or even a good one.  I'm saying his coaching skills are not as piss poor as people try to make out)

12 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

he chose those guys as his qbs!!!!

Just now, 17to85 said:

he chose those guys as his qbs!!!!

was he the GM? I didn't believe so..  regardless, Lefors wasn't a horrible choice until he blew his shoulder out.   the list behind him?  Casey Bramlet, Richie Williams and Bryant Randall.   

you honestly think any HC looked at those QBs and went, yup! thats who I wanna roll with, lol.   come on man.

Just now, SPuDS said:

was he the GM? I didn't believe so..  regardless, Lefors wasn't a horrible choice until he blew his shoulder out.   the list behind him?  Casey Bramlet, Richie Williams and Bryant Randall.   

you honestly think any HC looked at those QBs and went, yup! thats who I wanna roll with, lol.   come on man.

He was the GM! And part of his problem as a coach was that once Lefors showed himself to not be up to snuff he drove the bus right over top of him, and then the next qb, and the next one and the next one. I started calling the guy the bus driver for a while because rather than admit his own faults he kept throwing players under the bus. 

I dunno why you are trying to defend the guy but he was a horrible coach because his ego kept him from admitting that he might have been wrong about some things and that is what led to his down fall. It's a bit like Chris Jones in Saskatchewan. No one to tell him no and he's letting the ego run wild and torpedo his team. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

He was the GM! And part of his problem as a coach was that once Lefors showed himself to not be up to snuff he drove the bus right over top of him, and then the next qb, and the next one and the next one. I started calling the guy the bus driver for a while because rather than admit his own faults he kept throwing players under the bus. 

I dunno why you are trying to defend the guy but he was a horrible coach because his ego kept him from admitting that he might have been wrong about some things and that is what led to his down fall. It's a bit like Chris Jones in Saskatchewan. No one to tell him no and he's letting the ego run wild and torpedo his team. 

was he really?   huh.  I honestly didn't think he was the GM, making the personnel decisions.  regardless, I'm defending the guy because I feel differently then you do, clearly.  I'm allowed my own opinion of someone, crazy concept, I know.   again.. I'm defending his coaching accumen, not is ego, not his inability to listen to people when it pertained to not letting his ego run amok.    His coaching abilities were overshadowed by the rest of this shitshow that surround him (that he created, yes I know) but he still almost managed to squeak into the playoffs..

I feel hes a decent coach, you guys dont.  agree to disagree.  Why do you feel the need to push your opinion of him so hard on me?  you know we are allowed to think individually, right?

14 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

was he really?   huh.  I honestly didn't think he was the GM, making the personnel decisions.  regardless, I'm defending the guy because I feel differently then you do, clearly.  I'm allowed my own opinion of someone, crazy concept, I know.   again.. I'm defending his coaching accumen, not is ego, not his inability to listen to people when it pertained to not letting his ego run amok.    His coaching abilities were overshadowed by the rest of this shitshow that surround him (that he created, yes I know) but he still almost managed to squeak into the playoffs..

I feel hes a decent coach, you guys dont.  agree to disagree.  Why do you feel the need to push your opinion of him so hard on me?  you know we are allowed to think individually, right?

y9ff.jpg

24 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

...and his first decision as General Manager/Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach was to release Kevin Glenn.  Then he tossed the playbook in the garbage, because "QB's in shotgun is for flag football."  A case could be made that every one of those QB's failed because of the horrifically outdated playbook they were forced to use against defenses that wondered if they were still in high school.

First rule of internet arguing: If you don't even have all the facts (Was he the GM???) then don't argue in the first place.

Spudsy, I don't often call you out, because frankly, it's too easy and it's not nice to pick on lessers.........but this is just an egregious case of talking out your ass, and those kinds of things can't be allowed on the internet.

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

First rule of internet arguing: If you don't even have all the facts (Was he the GM???) then don't argue in the first place.

Spudsy, I don't often call you out, because frankly, it's too easy and it's not nice to pick on lessers.........but this is just an egregious case of talking out your ass, and those kinds of things can't be allowed on the internet.

I mistakenly assumed he wasn't the GM.. doesn't change the fact that those were the QBs available to him.  REGARDLESS that wasn't even the fecking debate! it was his coaching ability.   christ, why is this so difficult to explain and comprehend.  I don't feel hes the worst coach to walk the earth.  period.  end of my point. 

nothing you nor anyone else is going to say is suddenly going to make me go "oh, gee willickers you are so right.  how could I have not seen this or thought that!"

smfh.   I'm so done with this ridiculous thread and discussion. forgive me for having a bloody opinion that differs. 

58 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Kelly was a good O.C./assistant coach under Cal Murphy, obviously he didn't have the personal skills or the acumen to handle the big job.