Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

Over the last couple weeks, haven't our depth charts showed 8 starting Canadians? (Harris, JFG, Chung, Goose, Westi, Jake Thomas, Loffler, Hurl) So why couldn't Bass be put in the middle without other changes needed?

Quite honestly, I'm not a fan of Hurl so my analysis is going to be biased, and Im not sure how well Bass would be suited for a MLB role vs weakside, but I just dont think Hurl is a starting MLB. Stantos-Knox looked good at weakside LB last week, its only one game but it was promising so Im not sure I would want to move him just yet to make room for Bass. 

Just now, Atomic said:

Why is Manziel a problem and not Chris Rainey?  Extremely hypocritical by the league office.

probably due to the fact Rainey is already in the league with a contract.  Ambroise is being proactive now. it would have been on Cohon or whomever else was in power when Rainey's contract was approved.

4 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

probably due to the fact Rainey is already in the league with a contract.  Ambroise is being proactive now. it would have been on Cohon or whomever else was in power when Rainey's contract was approved.

That's garbage!  The "rule" should apply to everyone or no one.  We don't need to grandfather in wife-beaters.

Just now, Atomic said:

That's garbage!  The "rule" should apply to everyone or no one.  We don't need to grandfather in wife-beaters.

"sorry Wally and Chris, I know we said you could play but now.. we changed our mind even tho we authorized your contract a year ago and you've played many games.."

you don't think the CFLPA and.. well any court really.. would have an issue with the league just suddenly up and cancelling the contract of a player after the fact?

he passed muster with a previous regime..  it sucks but it is what it is..  when his contract is up.. who knows what happens then but really, I can't see a position the league could take that wouldn't blow up in their faces trying to out Rainey at this point.

7 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

"sorry Wally and Chris, I know we said you could play but now.. we changed our mind even tho we authorized your contract a year ago and you've played many games.."

you don't think the CFLPA and.. well any court really.. would have an issue with the league just suddenly up and cancelling the contract of a player after the fact?

he passed muster with a previous regime..  it sucks but it is what it is..  when his contract is up.. who knows what happens then but really, I can't see a position the league could take that wouldn't blow up in their faces trying to out Rainey at this point.

Just to be clear, this is the guy you are defending as a model citizen:

Rainey, a University of Florida grad who’s played for — and was cut from — the Steelers and the Colts, has been arrested and charged twice for domestic violence: The first time as an undergrad, when he pled guilty to stalking his then-girlfriend and sending her a text saying “time to die, *****”; the second time for slapping his girlfriend, for which he pled no contest to disorderly conduct.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Just to be clear, this is the guy you are defending as a model citizen:

Rainey, a University of Florida grad who’s played for — and was cut from — the Steelers and the Colts, has been arrested and charged twice for domestic violence: The first time as an undergrad, when he pled guilty to stalking his then-girlfriend and sending her a text saying “time to die, *****”; the second time for slapping his girlfriend, for which he pled no contest to disorderly conduct.

K whoa, gear down big rig.  Don't ever say I'm defending a guy who assaults women.  not cool, at all.  I'm playing the devil's advocate here, thats it.  riddle me this smart ass, how would you remove a player who has already been approved by the league and its governing body, including the CFLPA without causing a massive **** storm and all types of conflicts?

go ahead, I'll wait. 

defending this guy, gtfo with that garbage, maybe pick up some reading comprehension while you are at it. 

Just now, mbrg said:

He didn't.  Not once, not even a single word.

You asked why?  He gave the correct answer.

thank you.  I'd never ever advocate for a criminal being allowed to stay in the game I love, let alone one who assaulted a women.  that is despicable and one of the cardinal sins in my mind.

There's other issues with Rainey. According to a friend who is a Lions fanatic and attends a lot of the practices, Rainey is a me-first sort of player and not well-liked by his team mates.  But he did sneak into the league and turfing him as an afterthought would be difficult.