Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Bring back Tino Sunseri :P 

Redblacks are in a pickle,  they won't be able to airlift anyone in that can help them out on the spot.  Crompton sadly would be the best free agent they could get...

There's a name that need not be mentioned in any CFL threads ever again :lol:

...unless Jones needs a new QB, that is. 

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Bring back Tino Sunseri :P 

Redblacks are in a pickle,  they won't be able to airlift anyone in that can help them out on the spot.  Crompton sadly would be the best free agent they could get...

Lefevour for their... something.

Second rounder!

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Durant looks like Burris did toward the end of his Calgary career. Of course, Burris had a last career surge with the Ticats & RedBlacks. It'll be interesting to see how Durant does next year when he probably goes into the season as a backup somewhere.

It will be interesting to see how Durant does this week. He will be starting again.

On 17/09/2017 at 10:41 PM, tracker said:

I thought that Lindley didn't look all that worse than either Tate, Durant or Willy.  There has to be something wrong with Durant- mentally or physically. I have never seen him look that bad as he has in the last three games- he is making bad reads or his throwing arm is screwed up, because his passes were nothing short of terrible.

I've never thought he was all that good. Elusive due to his strong legs, a strong arm but not overly accurate, and never that good at reading a defense. Meh.

Yeah the Lefevour signing to me was kind of a meh...and I figured a waste, but what he is here for and does during games, and the veteran presence here in case if it happens Davis has to take over for a game or two, and doesn't produce is actually a good thing.

Pretty sure he could be that actual "game manager" to get us a few wins if it came to it, and with his running threat could open up a lot of other options with what we have on offence. Wouldn't want to hang my hat on him as the full-time starter, but if he is a cap friendly salary I would say he should be a must re-sign come this offseason

LeFevour is a large, mobile QB who can get first downs (or TDs) on short-yardage plays. He keeps the ball secure and can always throw it downfield, keeping the D 'honest'.

I know some of the plays where he stays in following a short-yardage trying to catch the defence off guard have not worked out but I do like that the defence has to pay attention.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

LeFevour is a large, mobile QB who can get first downs (or TDs) on short-yardage plays. He keeps the ball secure and can always throw it downfield, keeping the D 'honest'.

I know some of the plays where he stays in following a short-yardage trying to catch the defence off guard have not worked out but I do like that the defence has to pay attention.

Ya I didn't think too much about LeFevour prior to him signing here.. my opinion has since changed.  Best short yardage guy in the league,  solid backup option if push came to shove.   Doesn't seem like he rocks the boat and is ok with being a backup.  If the price is right and he is content, I have no issues keeping him in the fold.

I do like how he is our change of pace QB at times too but we don't seem to utilize it properly at times.   I can't believe how good he is at the short yardage tho.. its like he always gets 2-3 yards when we need 1, if not more.

Completely off topic here... but I was at a friend's wedding a few weeks ago... the bride is originally from Tampa, now lives in MB (long story)... so some of her friends from Tampa were at the wedding... I was talking to one girl at some point in the night and I only thing I remember from the conversation is she told me she had a friend that played in the CFL.... when she said James Wilder, I knew she was legit b/c who else would know the 3rd string (at the time) RB for the Argos...

turns out he might be a good one...

58 minutes ago, JCon said:

It worked well at the start of the year because defences were not expecting it.  Now they are.

There are 7 or 8 plays that LeFevour could run in that package regularly and still keep defences guessing, but over the last few games it's strictly been running the read-option.  They've gone from taking a package that caught defences unprepared to one where defences are prepared and added predictability to the playcalling.

It could still work as well as it did in the beginning, but read-option to the left side has to be retired for a while.  If only faking a read-option and throwing downfield had a chance we could catch teams cheating, but odds are that wrinkle just leads to a fumble and some dental work for LeFevour.

Ah, the annual 'our short yardage QB is the best in the league' thread...  then he'll be replace in a year or two with another great short yardage QB...

LeFevour is 30 and a proven backup who, unlike Nichols when we signed him, has never proven he can lead a winning team...  team won't even blink if he's not here