Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

10 hours ago, mbrg said:

On the heels of the Chambers trade, news today that Mike Jones is suspended for 2 games cuz drugs n stuff.

So apparently teams get a fair bit of notice on these things, long enough to orchestrate trades to prepare.

In Jones' statement he said he was told he failed a drug test on September 15. The suspension was official today as the League always announces disciplinary actions on Tuesdays.

He tested positive for Dehydrochlormethyltestosterone.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah I saw that. Which is why I was wondering what Happened lol

Drew Edwards wrote about it at 3 Down Nation:

The Edmonton Eskimos CEO and president Len Rhodes is walking back a Tweet he “liked” that was critical of Esks head coach Jason Maas.

Drew’s Views (no relation) wrote: “I never liked Maas as a QB because he was a hothead and I like him even less as a coach.”

The tweet showed up under Rhodes’s likes.

https://3downnation.com/2017/09/19/esks-prez-likes-tweet-critical-coach-jason-maas-says-accident/

Edited by Jacquie

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Riders signed Ellie Bouka DB.. CDN. Draft pick in 2016 i wanna say and Marc Olivier Brouillette also from retirement. They gotta be pushing the cap. 

http://www.tsn.ca/roughriders-to-add-brouillette-bouka-1.861174

Yeah, a pretty strange development. Retires before TC but then signs on with the team in late September. :huh:

I wonder how many more guys now will go on the 6 game injury list in Sask to account for these new adds...seems as tho since Jones got busted for the secondary practice roster they had last year he is totally abusing the 6 game injury list. Bet my left nut too most are getting paid well above the practice roster minimum to keep them hanging around too...and I kinda like my left nut

Be curious as to where they are cap-wise too...They did over pay for some marginal guys, and have a lot invested in some of their starters..even though Glenn is making low money they have to be pretty tight and all these signings kind of make you wonder

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/09/20/kevin-glenn-start-week-14/

REGINA — Saskatchewan Roughriders head coach and GM Chris Jones told reporters Wednesday that Kevin Glenn will be the team’s starting quarterback in Week 14.

The Riders take on the Calgary Stampeders at the new Mosaic Stadium on Sunday. Glenn missed the Riders’ 27-19 win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in Week 13, while backup quarterback Brandon Bridge stepped in and threw three touchdown passes in his place.

8 hours ago, Booch said:

I wonder how many more guys now will go on the 6 game injury list in Sask to account for these new adds...seems as tho since Jones got busted for the secondary practice roster they had last year he is totally abusing the 6 game injury list. Bet my left nut too most are getting paid well above the practice roster minimum to keep them hanging around too...and I kinda like my left nut

Be curious as to where they are cap-wise too...They did over pay for some marginal guys, and have a lot invested in some of their starters..even though Glenn is making low money they have to be pretty tight and all these signings kind of make you wonder

The Riders' transactions will probably take up 2 pages tomorrow. They have a few players that are due to come off the injured list but may also add up to 8 from last week's game.

I have no doubt most if their injuries are legit, but my question is what do they do with all the players when guys start to come off the 6 game,

On 9/19/2017 at 11:37 PM, Goalie said:

Riders signed Ellie Bouka DB.. CDN. Draft pick in 2016 i wanna say and Marc Olivier Brouillette also from retirement. They gotta be pushing the cap. 

Who wants to bet the riders get punished between now and after the season for violating the cap?

1 minute ago, blueingreenland said:

I have heard from Regina radio here that Glenn makes a very modest salary, so they probably have a lot more space to spend than we would.

But as to the Riders 6 game injury list...yes even the media has commented several times how many of those wounded seem to have no physical ailments whatsoever. 

200-300k. 100k cheaper then durant.  Even if he makes no more then 200k this year, that 200k was long gone in the off season.  With kienan lefrance back (and if owens comes back) on the roster it only goes up. 

http://3downnation.com/2017/01/25/kevin-glenn-contract-relative-bargain-for-riders/

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

200-300k. 100k cheaper then durant.  Even if he makes no more then 200k this year, that 200k was long gone in the off season.  With kienan lefrance back (and if owens comes back) on the roster it only goes up. 

http://3downnation.com/2017/01/25/kevin-glenn-contract-relative-bargain-for-riders/

Chad Owens is never getting on the field in the Riders uniform... his signing was complete a PR/leadership move...

9 hours ago, bearpants said:

Chad Owens is never getting on the field in the Riders uniform... his signing was complete a PR/leadership move...

Even if he stays on the IR his bonus counts towards the cap in atleast one year of his deal.  Even then I dont know i buy that chris jones would waste money on a move like that. but thats just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, BigBlue said:

I don't understand the cloak and dagger about Westerman ..... Irving interviewed him today but as I listened I missed his self description ... a lot of mumbo jumbo to me

He just said he doesn't want people talking about it. Says it's not important.