Regular Season - Bomber News, Developments & Speculation

BigBlue

Yeah the single biggest thing the Bombers did to improve last year was put the third american on the OL. Changed everything and turned a weakness into a strength. I expect it to continue this year. Give the rbs lots of holes to run through and the qbs time to make some throws and it's tough to stop. 

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I don't think people around the league realize how dominate the Bombers oline was in the last 13 weeks of the season. They gave up only 19 sacks that works out to 1.4 a game while Calgary over that same period gave up 14 or 1.1 Edmonton gave up 24 for 1.8 a game while BC gave up 26 for 2 a game. This was after giving up 16 sacks or 3.2 a game in the first five.

This OL is the best i have seen in blue in gold probably ever. And when you consider the depth we have its just insane what they have managed to do. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

100% what it was....cripes. Glad Harris is fine, tho...

We could survive (again) with out harris. But itd mean hurl is a lock. It would hurt a lot, but flanders et al could handle the load. Medlock would be some kind of awful. I mean we sent the flyin frenchie back to school. I dont even know what we would do. I shutter to think about it. 

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

We coped last year just fine with Flanders.

Wonder what the least damaging ratio change we can make is ... Coates in full time, maybe?

Took a look at the Bomber roster and noticed that Richards is back on the active roster; also noticed they don't have an injury list published so I guess he's still hurt?

Hurl, thomas,westerman, loffler, 2 ol, and 1 wr. We would be locked into hurl, and wouldnt get the extra DI. With flanders starting, we could rotate normand in for blocking and imp wr. I dont think any one was theory crafting our line up with hurl starting and the extra DI. If it cost us a back up imp id guess jeffcoat or poop. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah the single biggest thing the Bombers did to improve last year was put the third american on the OL. Changed everything and turned a weakness into a strength. I expect it to continue this year. Give the rbs lots of holes to run through and the qbs time to make some throws and it's tough to stop. 

No doubt. Bob wiley to the resuce... and american ol. Games in the CFL are often won by offensive out put. And OL is the first possible point of failure in every single play. Not a spot to be stingy for ratio reasons. 

Some people talked about NI quality falling off some what in the off season. It maybe that the next gen type athletic big OL from the us have surpassed the old NI ol. Gray is cut of that cloth, but guys like him are few and far between. There is a 350 lbs OL in the ncaa that is also very productive in track and field. And not in weight throwin, relay and sprinting. If you grow up in canada, are big and can move your feet hockey tends to get you. The athletes That used to become NI OL didnt really have much of a hockey chance other then being a tough guy. 

58 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We could survive (again) with out harris. But itd mean hurl is a lock. It would hurt a lot, but flanders et al could handle the load. Medlock would be some kind of awful. I mean we sent the flyin frenchie back to school. I dont even know what we would do. I shutter to think about it. 

Brett Maher was recently cut by the Ticats, he could fill in as a temp. fix.

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I don't think people around the league realize how dominate the Bombers oline was in the last 13 weeks of the season. They gave up only 19 sacks that works out to 1.4 a game while Calgary over that same period gave up 14 or 1.1 Edmonton gave up 24 for 1.8 a game while BC gave up 26 for 2 a game. This was after giving up 16 sacks or 3.2 a game in the first five.

Not just keeping the sack totals low, but Harris really got his running game going after we bonded up the OL.  He looked like a brand new back.

37 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Not just keeping the sack totals low, but Harris really got his running game going after we bonded up the OL.  He looked like a brand new back.

I see what you did there. ^_^

18 hours ago, wbbfan said:
18 hours ago, 17to85 said:

No doubt. Bob wiley to the resuce... and american ol.

When the Oline was still struggling, before they put in the final key player..... some people were starting to question how good Wylie was.

Remember the discussion  still last season, "Is it Willy slow decisions, or is it the bad O line not giving him enough time."

"Players play and coachs coach"  applicable here I guess.

Yesterday I read on Kevin Glenn's website a humourous  thing, guess it was from when he was still here...

question:  "if  your team had a battle royal, who would be the last player standing?

Glenn answer "Jermarcus Hardrick"

must be a seriously tough dude.

My biggest concern going into the season is the defensive backfield.  Last year's group just wasn't good enough.  There are reasons why teams play zone and you want to mix it up, but I saw a lot of zone that left a lot of holes last year.  Zone will get you picks, but you can't rely on interceptions to bail you out every time.  And despite bringing in lots of talent, we still have the same names here for the most part.  I hope I am wrong.

12 minutes ago, MC said:

My biggest concern going into the season is the defensive backfield.  Last year's group just wasn't good enough.  There are reasons why teams play zone and you want to mix it up, but I saw a lot of zone that left a lot of holes last year.  Zone will get you picks, but you can't rely on interceptions to bail you out every time.  And despite bringing in lots of talent, we still have the same names here for the most part.  I hope I am wrong.

There's only 5 positions and one guy (Frederick) has been replaced so who else should they have gotten rid of?  Randle?  Heath?  Loffler?  Pretty sure none of those guys are going anywhere so that leaves Johnson.  I don't think he's on the same level as Randle or Heath but I don't think he's as bad as some people would make it seem either.

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

Good on Davis! Happy for him.

I wonder who will do short yardage work?

I was at practice this morning. Cold north wind bringing a miserable rain. The squad practiced on the field to the west of the soccer facility, due to IGF being rented for a private event. Players participated using no shoulder pads, but conducted situational drills at a very spirited and vocal pace. 

There didn't appear to be much difference between the three quarterbacks as each took a regular rotation of plays. If Davis is the second string, I couldn't argue with that. #13 Lefevour is the most physical of the three and seemed to call his own number more so than the others. That might answer who will be getting the short yardage work.  

Two noticeable D observations. #16 Loffler looks like a real leader in the D back field. #31 Mo was totally active as a full time participant. 

Edited by Rod Black

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I think our group, MLB aside, is as talented as any other in the league. In fact, I think it's at or near the top.

It comes down to system, IMO.

Will Hall adapt his system to be more effective? Unknown at this time.

In his presser Hall said that the D is ahead of where they were at this time last year. 

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

When the Oline was still struggling, before they put in the final key player..... some people were starting to question how good Wylie was.

Remember the discussion  still last season, "Is it Willy slow decisions, or is it the bad O line not giving him enough time."

"Players play and coachs coach"  applicable here I guess.

Yesterday I read on Kevin Glenn's website a humourous  thing, guess it was from when he was still here...

question:  "if  your team had a battle royal, who would be the last player standing?

Glenn answer "Jermarcus Hardrick"

must be a seriously tough dude.

I didnt know he had a site interesting.

I remember a few threads on bob wiley and a surly interview around camp last year. Wasnt it both bond and hardrick drawing in after a few weeks last year? Or was some one playing out of position? Either way the shift was gigantic. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I didnt know he had a site interesting.

I remember a few threads on bob wiley and a surly interview around camp last year. Wasnt it both bond and hardrick drawing in after a few weeks last year? Or was some one playing out of position? Either way the shift was gigantic. 

That's correct, Hardrick was at left guard and Neufeld was at right tackle.  Neufeld came out and Hardrick shifted over and Bond came in.

And what's this?  Ah yes the interview you referenced: https://www.bluebombers.com/2016/06/15/tc-day-18-coach-wylie/

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

That's correct, Hardrick was at left guard and Neufeld was at right tackle.  Neufeld came out and Hardrick shifted over and Bond came in.

And what's this?  Ah yes the interview you referenced: https://www.bluebombers.com/2016/06/15/tc-day-18-coach-wylie/

Thanks! he was getting a lot of heat at that time. Sure is good to listen to that, and see what was put together by him and the GM/scouts.

In retrospect, he/they were right on the money.

Edited by Mark F

24 minutes ago, Atomic said:

johny on the spot good stuff. gotta love wylie :lol:

Its amazing to listen to him in retrospect talking about how the 5 starters are NOT set, and how good the new guys brought in were. With both bond and hardick coming over that off season. 

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/06/browns_offensive_line_coach_bo.html

another great one from bob. Such an interesting test for players!