SASKATCHEWAN @ MONTREAL

Mr Dee

Game Day notes - Saskatchewan at Montreal 

Only four clubs - BC, Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto - appear to be starting the same QB in Week #1 in 2017 as they did in 2016 (Jennings, Mitchell, Reilly & Ray)

The average CFL player enters 2017 at 27.4 years of age and carries 2.9 years, and 38 career games with 23 starts

The average CFL veteran Quarterback carries much more experience at 29 years of age, 71 games played and 5.0 seasons

Calgary has by far the most veterans returning with 51 on their roster and just nine first-year players.

- Ottawa has the roster with the fewest first-year players with just seven out of their 51 in total.

- Saskatchewan's roster has only 29 players returning from 2016 with 14 free agent from other clubs and 12 first-year players.

- The Argonauts are in the same 'boat' with only 28 of their own back alongside 31 new players (free agents and rookies).

• Winnipeg's growth is starting to show as they have 35 of their own vets back and just 16 new players (7 F/A's, 9 first-year).

Among the 18 players selected in the first two rounds in 2017, 14 of those players (78%) made it onto CFL rosters.

The West returned to dominate the inter-divisional play winning 28 of 39 games (one was tied), the most by one Division over the other in a 9-team CFL since 1993 (29 wins out of 40 games that year)

Game Stats

have added the following new "stats" and/or reports (with some definition):

1) QB Pressure

Defined: "Credited to a defender who either forces the QB to move off his initial drop back point to avoid contact, contacts the QB in the act of throwing, or has the QB in his grasp at the time an Intentional Grounding penalty is called"

Reporting: Compiled by defensive player and for QBs in terms of the number of times pressured.

2) Dropped passes

Treatment: Entered as a note into each play-by-play and for those plays where the drop is clear and uncontested. Reporting: Compiled for QBs in terms of the number of passes dropped; Receiver reporting to be primarily internal

3) Individual 2nd Down Conversion Defence

Defined: Defensive plays made that result in a failed opponent 2nd down conversion via: Tackles, QB Sacks, Pass knockdowns, Forced fumbles, Interception or fumble recovery.

Reporting: Compiled for all defensive players and league leaders reported the same as other defensive statistics.

4) Play-by-play entries and other reporting

Reporting: Printed play-by-plays will be much more explicit showing for example split yardage (Total, YAC portion) along with receiver depth for all pass attempts including incompletions. Play-by-plays will also include more "tags", notations for special plays such as Fake kicks, Challenges, Two-point converts and more. We have created an immediate post-game summary of key data that has in the past been unavailable until the following week. This will include much more in-depth breakdowns of many key pieces of game data.

CFL Player Performance Evaluation - QUAR: for a comprehensive look at these explanations, see

Edited by Mr Dee

Saskatchewan at Montreal

?‍?Anxious to see the game between the Riders and Montreal on Thursday. Not for the obvious reasons but to see Duron Carter and his highly touted blocking skills. It seems like only yesterday when we first saw the signs of his blossoming skill. He took out HC Rick Campbell with barely a touch. Imagine what he could do if he imagined the enemy was Rakeem Kato.

And, oh, I do want to see Durant dismantle Chris Jones ego..

AND

“We’re going there to win. We’re going there to set the bar for the season. We’re going there to show not only Winnipeg but everyone around the league what kind of defence we are, what kind of team we are, the way we get after the football, the way we move the football. -Zach Minter

Saskatchewan’s linebacking corps will start one veteran (Henoc Muamba, in the middle) and two CFL rookies (Erick Dargan on the weak side and Sam Williams on the strong side) 

?‍?Montreal’s offence vs. Sask. defence…Montreal wins

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I took Durant and Ernest Jackson on my draft kings team. I fully expect to see a focused Darian Durant put up big numbers against his former team. 

Me, too -- here's hoping!

20 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

“We’re going there to win. We’re going there to set the bar for the season. We’re going there to show not only Winnipeg but everyone around the league what kind of defence we are, what kind of team we are, the way we get after the football, the way we move the football. -Zach Minter

If they are focused on Winnipeg this week, they might be in for a surprise when it's Montreal lined up against them.

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/06/2017-Depth-Chart-Game-1-vs.-Montreal.pdf

SASK depth chart is up.

Cam Judge is immediately the backup MLB upon arriving in camp.  Jovon Johnson starts at corner.  Denzel Radford, a Montreal 6th round pick who Ssk traded for, backs up at receiver.  Cam Marshall starts at RB.  Jeff Hecht starts at Safety, Dyakowski at guard.

God have mercy on Saskatchewan and their poor depleted roster.  Looks like they've already been through half a season of injuries with the skeleton crew they are fielding.

Plus the fact I think Durant is going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder and have lots of fire and is really going to want to light them up...and who can blame him

Can't wait to read the Rider forum and conversations about Durant and Glenn performance's

just looked at allouettes team page, to see who their O line is, but noticed

Chip Cox   5 foot 9 inches 185 pounds.

I guess he's unusual though, his football smarts must be very high.

33 years old, wonder if he's going to get picked on a bit this season.

Hope durant glenn stay upright, and I hope they sell a lot of tickets. 

Montreal still has knapton and Bowman, so could be dicey for Kevin.

wonder how shologan will do.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/06/2017-Depth-Chart-Game-1-vs.-Montreal.pdf

SASK depth chart is up.

Cam Judge is immediately the backup MLB upon arriving in camp.  Jovon Johnson starts at corner.  Denzel Radford, a Montreal 6th round pick who Ssk traded for, backs up at receiver.  Cam Marshall starts at RB.  Jeff Hecht starts at Safety, Dyakowski at guard.

God have mercy on Saskatchewan and their poor depleted roster.  Looks like they've already been through half a season of injuries with the skeleton crew they are fielding.

I want no mercy for the Riders. a season of 0-18 with every loss by a minimum of 20 is what I hope for that club every year!

34 minutes ago, LeBird said:

My most enjoyable part of a Riders' loss is watching Jones on the side lines burning a long fuse.

TBH Jones hasn't looked all that riled up on the side lines even when they get thumped. I guess knowing you have a long leash, full autonomy and getting paid fists full of money, I probably wouldn't get all that pissed off either. Probably laugh myself to sleep each night. 

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Montreal actually looks like they have an ok roster.... decent NI's, probably a good OL, good QB, decent DL.  They might be a playoff team in the east if Durant stays healthy.

6 to 7 wins is a playoffs spot in the east. some years a hell of a lot less than that.  Nothing scary about that roster when you stack it up against the teams in the west. Defense is getting old, they have been good in the past however. Offense is horrible. Gave up the most sacks by a lot, hope Darian is ready to run, something he didn't want to do here

9 minutes ago, Ripper said:

6 to 7 wins is a playoffs spot in the east. some years a hell of a lot less than that.  Nothing scary about that roster when you stack it up against the teams in the west. Defense is getting old, they have been good in the past however. Offense is horrible. Gave up the most sacks by a lot, hope Darian is ready to run, something he didn't want to do here

Scary, maybe not.... but many are predicting them to finish last in the east and maybe the league... but when I look at that roster that's not what I see.

However coaching is a big wildcard in Montreal.

20 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Calgary has by far the most veterans returning with 51 on their roster and just nine first-year players.

- Ottawa has the roster with the fewest first-year players with just seven out of their 51 in total.

These two statements appear to be contradictory ;)...

I don't particularly care about tonight's game... but I wouldn't mind seeing* Durant put up 400+ yards with 5 TDs and and about 50 on the scoreboard... :D

*I won't actually be watching the game... so more like reading the boxscores...