Solving Our Goaltender Problem

Best case:  trade involving Raanta, Grubauer or Pickard.

Worst case: sign a FA from the not too great, but better than what we have group.

AGE GP WINS GAA SV% 2016/17 Cap
Steve Mason PHI UFA 29 58 26 2.66 0.908 $4,100,000
Ryan Miller VAN UFA 36 54 18 2.8 0.914 $6,000,000
Brian Elliott CGY UFA 32 49 26 2.55 0.91 $2,500,000
Michael Condon OTT UFA 27 41 19 2.48 0.914 $575,000
Jonathan Bernier ANA UFA 28 39 21 2.5 0.915 $4,150,000
Chad Johnson AZ UFA 31 36 18 2.59 0.91 $1,700,000
Anders Nilsson BUF UFA 27 26 10 2.67 0.923 $1,000,000
Keith Kinkaid NJD UFA 27 26 8 2.64 0.916 $725,000
Curtis McElhinney TOR UFA 34 21 8 2.7 0.917 $800,000
Darcy Kuemper MIN UFA 27 18 8 3.13 0.902 $1,550,000

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Best case:  trade involving Raanta, Grubauer or Pickard.

Worst case: sign a FA from the not too great, but better than what we have group.

I can't see NYR or WAS trading their back-ups right now.

I would imagine that VGK see Pickard as their future number 1.

The Jets are in no way giving up on Hellebuyck yet. He has dominated at every level he has played prior to the NHL, and was thrown into the fire 2 years ago when he could have had more seasoning in the minors. The Jets don't want a new #1 to replace him, they want a veteran goalie who can be a safety valve starter for 2-3 years if Hellebuyck craps out, or who can groom Hellebuyck to be the full-time starter by year 3. And Comrie is even more highly valued in the minors, but they don't want to rush him too. So going after the same type of young goalie to become the full-time starter is pointless unless they have already decided that Hellebuyck can't cut it. So goalies like Raanta and Grubauer (and Scott Darling before them) don't fit that profile. With Fleury and Bishop off the market, in my opinion the fit the Jets want is a Steve Mason or a Brian Elliott, who can be the starter for sure if needed but won't carry a 60-65 game load, but rather split duties and play 40-45 games while "coaching" the younger goalie, and will sign shorter term rather than demand a 6 year contract with a promise of being "the guy" for the next half decade. Elliott did well in St. Louis with a lighter workload splitting time with Jake Allen (and before him Jaroslav Halak).

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I can't see NYR or WAS trading their back-ups right now.

I would imagine that VGK see Pickard as their future number 1.

ugh I wish the playoff prone teams would be less reluctant to trade with us, we keep getting players from the BJ's or bottom rung teams. Not that getting someone from Colorado is a bad thing (matthias has been pretty good, just wish he wouldn't be injury prone)

Small minded thinking to say the Jets have a "goaltender problem". Jets have a team defense problem, for sure. Stop giving up so many quality scoring opportunities on a young goalie. Throwing him to the wolves and getting him mind-****** before he's ready....

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Small minded thinking to say the Jets have a "goaltender problem". Jets have a team defense problem, for sure. Stop giving up so many quality scoring opportunities on a young goalie. Throwing him to the wolves and getting him mind-****** before he's ready....

I think we have a back-up goalie problem. I think Hutch has been a bit of a scapegoat for a lot of problems with defense but I still think we need a better back-up.

Along with a poorly organized defensive system.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Helle/Hutch 2018!

Whats the point in this. They will get a goalie. Who? Dunno but they will. Its hysteria here it seems cuz its 1230 and they have done nothing. The draft is tomorrow. July 1st is coming. Hold the horses here. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Whats the point in this. They will get a goalie. Who? Dunno but they will. Its hysteria here it seems cuz its 1230 and they have done nothing. The draft is tomorrow. July 1st is coming. Hold the horses here. 

There's no hysteria and no rush. Everyone knew that the draft would have to come and go before anything was done.

Chevy has lots of time. Lots of UFAs out there and not many places looking any longer.

I'm sort of inclined to agree on the back-up situation. Two young guys still learning is not ideal for any team. I still don't understand how Hutch's game seemingly (key word) fell apart so quickly...

Just now, Noeller said:

I'm sort of inclined to agree on the back-up situation. Two young guys still learning is not ideal for any team. I still don't understand how Hutch's game seemingly (key word) fell apart so quickly...

Some teams change goaltending coaches to find the right match for their goalies.  The Jets prefer to change goalies to find the right match with their coach. 

22 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Until they do it's Helle/Hutch 2018.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Some teams change goaltending coaches to find the right match for their goalies.  The Jets prefer to change goalies to find the right match with their coach. 

So... What does a goalie coach do? Nobody knows. Hutch just isnt good. Pav was bad also. Montoya had the best numbers in his career here. Maybe the problem is more than just the goalie or goalie coach. 

25 minutes ago, Goalie said:

So... What does a goalie coach do? Nobody knows. Hutch just isnt good. Pav was bad also. Montoya had the best numbers in his career here. Maybe the problem is more than just the goalie or goalie coach. 

Yes, its also poor defense.  Pens just fired their goalie coach.  I think when we have a succession of under-performing goalies its fair game to look at the coach. 

Except it's not fair to say "under performing goalies".....the entire team is playing shitty D and giving up way too many high quality scoring opportunities. If the entire team cinches things up, those goalies start looking a LOT better...

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Except it's not fair to say "under performing goalies".....the entire team is playing shitty D and giving up way too many high quality scoring opportunities. If the entire team cinches things up, those goalies start looking a LOT better...

Nothing better supports this then the year we made the playoffs.  We got a .920 season out of a career .907 guy.  There shouldn't be any excuses anymore to not get that, or close to it, from Helle & Elliot/Mason/Bernier etc.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:24 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

The Jets are in no way giving up on Hellebuyck yet. He has dominated at every level he has played prior to the NHL, and was thrown into the fire 2 years ago when he could have had more seasoning in the minors. The Jets don't want a new #1 to replace him, they want a veteran goalie who can be a safety valve starter for 2-3 years if Hellebuyck craps out, or who can groom Hellebuyck to be the full-time starter by year 3. And Comrie is even more highly valued in the minors, but they don't want to rush him too. So going after the same type of young goalie to become the full-time starter is pointless unless they have already decided that Hellebuyck can't cut it. So goalies like Raanta and Grubauer (and Scott Darling before them) don't fit that profile. With Fleury and Bishop off the market, in my opinion the fit the Jets want is a Steve Mason or a Brian Elliott, who can be the starter for sure if needed but won't carry a 60-65 game load, but rather split duties and play 40-45 games while "coaching" the younger goalie, and will sign shorter term rather than demand a 6 year contract with a promise of being "the guy" for the next half decade. Elliott did well in St. Louis with a lighter workload splitting time with Jake Allen (and before him Jaroslav Halak).

I think Elliott is the best of what is out there.

I would go with Elliot on a two year deal. I think he's a good goaltender and should come relatively cheap. I still have faith in Hellebuyck as a number one goaltender, and obviously another year or two of Comrie in the minors will be good for him. In the long term picture I don't think the Jets goaltender situation is as doom and gloom as most people think. 

On 2017-6-22 at 2:10 PM, Noeller said:

Look around the league, guy like Devan Dubnyk was **** behind a terrible D and he goes on to a team that knows how to play a sound defensive game and he's a vezina candidate. There's lots of goalies that can make saves these days, the key is getting a team in front of them that can avoid making the big mistakes. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Look around the league, guy like Devan Dubnyk was **** behind a terrible D and he goes on to a team that knows how to play a sound defensive game and he's a vezina candidate. There's lots of goalies that can make saves these days, the key is getting a team in front of them that can avoid making the big mistakes. 

Not giving Dubnyk enough credit he changed his style of play and how he tracks the puck....he is a different goalie compared to earlier in his career.

Edited by bb1

5 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Not giving Dubnyk enough credit he changed his style of play and how he tracks the puck....he is a different goalie compared to earlier in his career.

Oh absolutely, but a big part of his problem was getting absolutely hung out to dry in Edmonton too.