Solving Our Goaltender Problem

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Oh absolutely, but a big part of his problem was getting absolutely hung out to dry in Edmonton too. 

He had pretty decent numbers in Edmonton minus 1 season. Condidering the crap team he played behind. 

He played more than 30 games for the oilers 4 seasons... 

His save percentage in those 4 seasons were 916. 914. 921. And his last year there... 894. 

Those are good numbers actually. 

Edited by Goalie

56 minutes ago, Goalie said:

He had pretty decent numbers in Edmonton minus 1 season. Condidering the crap team he played behind. 

He played more than 30 games for the oilers 4 seasons... 

His save percentage in those 4 seasons were 916. 914. 921. And his last year there... 894. 

Those are good numbers actually. 

I know, that .894 year was I believe the Eakins year where the defensive coverage was a mess, which further illustrates the point, goalies who don't get support from the D don't look good and good goalie play and good D play go hand in hand in todays NHL.

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I know, that .894 year was I believe the Eakins year where the defensive coverage was a mess, which further illustrates the point, goalies who don't get support from the D don't look good and good goalie play and good D play go hand in hand in todays NHL.

I think it always did. Except for the Oilers in the 80's who just outgunned everyone with their offensive firepower. Fuhr could let in five goals, they'd score 6.

18 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think it always did. Except for the Oilers in the 80's who just outgunned everyone with their offensive firepower. Fuhr could let in five goals, they'd score 6.

And Fuhr wouldn't let that sixth in. Somehow, he knew how to win by one.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Fuhr was also coke-head but Oilers fans always overlook that.

I have been a rabid Grant Fuhr fan my whole life. I wore 31 through a lot of minor hockey. Read his "Grant Fuhr On Goaltending" book on the ride to away games and tournaments all the time. 

When he was suspended for drugs, I was 10 years old and INCREDIBLY upset....I remember tearing his poster off the wall.

Now, as an adult, having read everything that went on with that team, I have a much better understanding. The entire TEAM were "partiers" and were just bonkers around the city. Fuhr just happened to be the guy that got busted, but it really could have been any of them. Even Gretz. 

It was the 80s...they were rock stars in a small market.....of course they were doing blow!

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I have been a rabid Grant Fuhr fan my whole life. I wore 31 through a lot of minor hockey. Read his "Grant Fuhr On Goaltending" book on the ride to away games and tournaments all the time. 

When he was suspended for drugs, I was 10 years old and INCREDIBLY upset....I remember tearing his poster off the wall.

Now, as an adult, having read everything that went on with that team, I have a much better understanding. The entire TEAM were "partiers" and were just bonkers around the city. Fuhr just happened to be the guy that got busted, but it really could have been any of them. Even Gretz. 

It was the 80s...they were rock stars in a small market.....of course they were doing blow!

Are you suggesting that Gretzky was doing lines???

I always hate when people say Fuhr was overrated because of the scoring in front of him....that guy might have done more with the least defense than anyone. Their D pinched so much, he was constantly facing odd-man situations...only way you could get away with cheating that much offensively was to have a superstar 'tender back there to bail you out...

Just now, Noeller said:

I always hate when people say Fuhr was overrated because of the scoring in front of him....that guy might have done more with the least defense than anyone. Their D pinched so much, he was constantly facing odd-man situations...only way you could get away with cheating that much offensively was to have a superstar 'tender back there to bail you out...

Well, it helps the goalie to know that if he whiffs on one or two bad ones, his team will bail him out. That's what the Oilers did for Fuhr.