New CFL QUAR Rating

TrueBlue

Many of you may find this boring, but if you are a stats junkie like myself, you should appreciate this.  

The CFL has put together a new stat called QUAR, which is a new rating to establish a more accurate OVERALL reading of CFL quarterbacks.  

This new rating factors in many important categories that the typical QBR does not including: Win/Loss %, Offence/Possession (net yards and points), and second down conversion rates. 

This gets a big thumbs up from me.  Not only do I like this specifically, I like the innovation and thought process of the CFL Head Statistician, Steve Daniel.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/06/22/quar-tradition-meeting-innovation/ 

Noeller and I had a discussion about this yesterday and I honestly need to wait and see if this is worth anything or not. My initial suspicion is that it places too much emphasis on wins, because let's be honest teams that win a lot in the CFL generally have good qb play because there are so many other things going well for the team that it makes the qbs job easier. It's also unfair to a qb who plays really well and has the defence crap it's pants on him, like Nichols in the playoff game last year. 

One of those things where I think they are trying too hard to make an individual stat work in a game that is so reliant on team work. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Noeller and I had a discussion about this yesterday and I honestly need to wait and see if this is worth anything or not. My initial suspicion is that it places too much emphasis on wins, because let's be honest teams that win a lot in the CFL generally have good qb play because there are so many other things going well for the team that it makes the qbs job easier. It's also unfair to a qb who plays really well and has the defence crap it's pants on him, like Nichols in the playoff game last year. 

One of those things where I think they are trying too hard to make an individual stat work in a game that is so reliant on team work. 

Wins only account for 10%, I believe,