I like Matt Nichols

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Man, some Bomber fans here.... They could win $25 million on Lotto Max. Then turn around & ***** they never won when it was $50 million & feel ripped off. Just enjoy the freaking win...

just absolute losers tbh, the Riders were FIRED up, their crowd was into it, their guys were just flying around. Like Nichols said, the game slowed down for them in the second. First game of the season it's gotta be tough to come in to that atmosphere. Little bit of a collapse at the end but all in all, we deserved the win.

Did anybody here actually watch overtime? Harris was absolutely steamrolling guys. That late in the game I don't think they're stopping us even if we need a TD.

Edited by Gotmilt

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

O'Shea was a gambler. Lucky he had Medlock so he knew when to fold 'em when it came to running the ball then.

Meh, not that big of a gamble at that time. Even though we have Medlock I am much more confident kicking the 30 yd fg than 40. 

If you don't try to even pick up a first down in that situation you're just playing scared.

Edited by Gotmilt

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

Meh, not that big of a gamble at that time. Even though we have Medlock I am much more confident kicking the 30 yd fg than 40. 

If you don't try to even pick up a first down in that situation you're just playing scared.

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

Have to worry about the ball popping out when a back struggles for more yards. That happens a lot.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Have to worry about the ball popping out when a back struggles for more yards. That happens a lot.

Yeah but you really can't be worried about that because those extra 10 yards are so valuable in my opinion. If Harris fumbles it's a tie, if Medlock misses its a tie with the potential for the run back.

Okay. I did forget about Khari Jones.

So Nichols MIGHT be the best QB we've had since Khari Jones. (with apologies to Kevin Glenn...Glenn was a decent QB for us and we should not have cut him years ago, but Nichols at this point is maybe better than Glenn was at his prime...very hard to gauge that of course cause I think Nichols has a very good offensive line and good receivers...best offensive set we have had for many years.

Nichols is definitely surprising me. Managing the game well. Throws deep well. His scrambling is pretty crappy, but oh well.

On 7/2/2017 at 6:19 PM, TBURGESS said:

Typical Blue Kool Aid chuggers. Only want to look at the good side of the equation. We won ugly. I'll take the 2 points, but 20 great minutes doesn't make the whole game good and we barely won.  Nichols got 87 of his 331 yards on a single big play.

I don't agree with everything you say... but I do appreciate your contributions... If someone read this thread without watching the game, one would assume Matt Nichols was dominant from beginning to end... and that simply wasn't the case... it's nice to get a differing of opinions too... makes for healthy discussion...

my take... Nichols and the entire offense started off rusty... which wasn't completely unexpected given the circumstances... once they started to click they offense looked dominant... my concern is the last 8 or so mins of the game... neither side of the ball came up big when we needed it... when sask made it 37-30, we needed either a big stop from the D or a nice time killer from the O (capped by any score) to close out the game... and we didn't get either... I fear if we let Edm or Cgy back into a game like that it won't even get to OT...

In conclusion, I liked most of Nichols' game on Saturday... but he needs to work on some consistency and play a complete game...  

Edited by bearpants

17 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Yeah but you really can't be worried about that because those extra 10 yards are so valuable in my opinion. If Harris fumbles it's a tie, if Medlock misses its a tie with the potential for the run back.

I don't know.  I think that was tempting fate a touch.  I mean Medlock from 42 sounds like a good proposition to me.  If he hit it badly enough to miss from there straightaway he'd pretty much miss that kick from any distance with his leg.  That's an extremely routine kick for him.

46 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't know.  I think that was tempting fate a touch.  I mean Medlock from 42 sounds like a good proposition to me.  If he hit it badly enough to miss from there straightaway he'd pretty much miss that kick from any distance with his leg.  That's an extremely routine kick for him.

I disagree,

That final series seemed to unfold exactly how it should.  Use Harris to move the ball downfield with a minimum of risk, and on the last carry, you could see that he just wanted to make sure he put the ball on the "right" side of the field for Medlock.  It was pretty clear that they were doing what had to be done in order to set up the field goal.  Nothing more, nothing less.  You don't try for six when three (one actually) is all you need.  That's the sort of showboating that ends up causing fumbles/interceptions and has fans screaming "What was he thinking?".  

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'd say the chances of Harris fumbling at that point was about the same as Medlock missing a 42 yarder, that is to say, very low.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'd say the chances of Harris fumbling at that point was about the same as Medlock missing a 42 yarder, that is to say, very low.

When you have a guy like that, you pay him a lot of money and he's an all star. You expect him to be able to at minimum hold on to the ball in that situation.

Edited by Gotmilt

fact remains that you use the tools you have available to make the game winnable.  Why not use our all-star RB who is 99.95 percent of the time going to advance the ball into the position you want it to be moved and make the kick easier for our kicker?  

its kind of a simple concept to me..  its not like Lapo called for passes to move the ball.. that would have been dumb, yes.

45 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

When you can find a play that works 100% of the time, please let us know.  It's called playing the percentages.  It's what smart coaches do.  

Sure, and I'm betting on Medlock hitting what's a chip shot field goal to him, over the chance of Harris not fumbling and the chance of Medlock missing a shorter chip shot field. 

42 to 32 yards is a negibile difference for a kicker like Medlock.

Just now, Blueandgold said:

Sure, and I'm betting on Medlock hitting what's a chip shot field goal to him, over the chance of Harris not fumbling and the chance of Medlock missing a shorter chip shot field. 

42 to 32 yards is a negibile difference for a kicker like Medlock.

So, you've never seen Medlock ever miss a field goal?  And you know what, if they had simply set up for a field goal without trying to move the ball forward at all, and then he had missed, what do you think people would have said?  It's easy to sit at your keyboard and draw up these scenarios.  It's  a little different when you actually have to do it for a paycheque.  

I'd suggest that there isn't a coach in the CFL who would have done things any differently that O'Shea did because there is a difference between kicking a 32 yard FG and a 42 yard FG, even for someone like Medlock, who's attempted 281 FG's in that CFL and missed 34 of them.  That's 87.9%.  Harris has 1033 rushing attempts.  For him to fumble at the same rate that Medlock misses (87.9) he would have had to fumble about 125 times.  I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that statistically, it is more likely that Medlock misses a 42 yard FG than Harris fumbles.  So if that's the case, O'Shea is playing the percentages, moving the ball forward until the risk/reward favours the FG.  

In my opinion, O'Shea played this one just about as well as one could.

20 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Okay. I did forget about Khari Jones.

So Nichols MIGHT be the best QB we've had since Khari Jones. (with apologies to Kevin Glenn...Glenn was a decent QB for us and we should not have cut him years ago, but Nichols at this point is maybe better than Glenn was at his prime...very hard to gauge that of course cause I think Nichols has a very good offensive line and good receivers...best offensive set we have had for many years.

Nichols is definitely surprising me. Managing the game well. Throws deep well. His scrambling is pretty crappy, but oh well.

Nichols has also never started a full season...

Never passed for 20 TDs...

Never won us a play off game...

Maybe let him be our starter for one full season before you anoint him over Glenn, who did a lot of good things while a Bomber.

34 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Nichols has also never started a full season...

Never passed for 20 TDs...

Never won us a play off game...

Maybe let him be our starter for one full season before you anoint him over Glenn, who did a lot of good things while a Bomber.

is it an argument of Glenn as a bomber or Glenn as he is now?  Nichols is better then Glenn as he is now, imo.. Glenn as our starter.. thats a tough call..

32 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

is it an argument of Glenn as a bomber or Glenn as he is now?  Nichols is better then Glenn as he is now, imo.. Glenn as our starter.. thats a tough call..

The post I quoted was talking about Glenn in his prime.

I can't put any QB who hasn't played a full season ahead of a guy who brought us to the Grey Cup.

That said, I do really like Matt Nichols, but we can't use what we think he might do to put him ahead of a guy who has already done it.

Just now, Jesse said:

The post I quoted was talking about Glenn in his prime.

I can't put any QB who hasn't played a full season ahead of a guy who brought us to the Grey Cup.

That said, I do really like Matt Nichols, but we can't use what we think he might do to put him ahead of a guy who has already done it.

then yup, you have a very good point.  Glenn when he was at his best here.. I think is pretty on par with what I expect Nichols will be when he gets firing on all cylinders.  Both managed the game very well and both have (had?) the ability to win.. I think Nichol's gets the extra nod tho because he does play with emotion and doesn't seem to get rattled like Glenn would.