Michael Sgarbossa

If you're like me, you knew nothing about this guy when his signing was announced.  So I did some research to find out more about the player.

Michael Sgarbossa

• Undrafted in 2010, signed after the draft as a free agent by San Jose
  • Went back to Junior
  • Won the OHL Scoring title in 2011-12 with 102 points (47 goals)
  • San Jose traded his rights to the Avalanche
  • Spent most of his time in the AHL between 2012 and 2016, with 2 points in 10 games in the NHL. His rights were traded to Anaheim in 2015.
  • He finally got into 9 games (0G, 2A) with Anaheim in 2016-17 before being acquired by Florida in November.
  • Scored 7 points (2G, 5A) in 27 games including a stretch of 6 points in 8 games in January-February.
  • Was an RFA after the season but the Panthers didn't give him a qualifying offer so he became a UFA.

Fight (He loses):

Assist:

Interview:

Edited by Atomic

Analysis:

Michael is the type who uses his speed and outworks his opponent in the corners. It’s safe to say that Sgarbossa isn’t afraid to get his “hands dirty”.

He is the type of player the Panthers need more of. Heart, determination, and grit. Those are 3 aspects to Michael’s game in which he excels at. Sgarbossa will never be a player who puts up 20 goal seasons. However, he is a reliable call-up who will get the job done for you on any night. 

http://therattrick.com/2017/05/26/florida-panthers-keep-michael-sgarbossa-depth-purpose/

AHL:

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

My analysis... The guy will be lucky to see NHL time with us.

IMO he is battling to be the #5 option at Centre.  Probably slots into the depth chart as our 13th/14th forward.  Might start the season in the pressbox.