Stamps @ Bombers: Game Day Thread

Noeller

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

At the stadium they called #4 (Carmichael) - its entirely possible the refs just got the wrong number. Hurl would make more sense as its usually guys on the line that get called offsides in those situations. Per TSN's detailed log:

Tsn sportscentre showed it.. Number 4 was definitely offside.. By about a full yard 

11 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Couple things:

1. I wonder how much of this is Hall's schemes... I remember last year Johnson was a bit of a whipping boy, now everyone seems to be clamoring for him to get better.

2. Carmichael was awful - on top of getting eaten alive, he was the one called for offsides on that 3rd and 1 that gave Calgary another 3 cracks at scoring.

3. We need to be more aggressive on play offensive calling, it's the difference between playing to win, and playing not to lose. I also didn't like the call to take a knee going into the half.

And just before that drive there was 52 seconds left when calgary went to punt and MOS doesn't call a timeout?!?! 30 seconds ticked away by the time we snapped the ball . What the **** was he thinking?! I was screaming "call a ***ing timeout you jack***". Sometimes I really find it hard to figure out what is going on is MOS's brain. Combine brainfart coaching with wet paper bag D and Nichols s***ting all over the field in the 2nd half and it was Just a **** game altogether.

I dont like the Blame MOS after every loss stuff. I guess if i had to criticize him about something... He probably trusts his O and D coordinators 2 much but as Coach he probably should. 

IMO and i think 99 out of 100 players would put the blame on themselves. Its a team game. The team played like crap.. As a fan... Some were good .(Randle Heath Alexander Nevis Poop.. Harris hustles every play.. Dressler also...) But as a whole.. The team just wasnt good enough.. Adjustments? Sure... Penalties? Yup. Turnovers.. You bet.. Mistakes? A Bunch.. Bad decisions? Yup.. Nichols struggled.. Yup.. But they just were.. Off? Bad? For sure. Blame MOS for having trust in our very passive coordinators. But BLM has lost 7 regular season games in 6 years. 83 percent. Dude is one of the best QBs in the modern CFL. 

What I saw tonight was a bad day at the office for Nichols , and the O in general.  I actually thought the OL was giving Nichols plenty of time but he double clutched a few times when he really just needed to pull the trigger and go long.  The one play that stands out there was when Harris was wide open right down the middle of the field and Nichols just dropped it off for a short pass that ended up incomplete.  There were also a few plays where Nichols and his receivers just weren't on the same page... usually with the throw going long and the receiver curling short (happened with both Adams and Washington at least once each).

Turning point in my mind was the BS* illegal contact call on the challenge because that allowed Calgary to score early in the 3rd (helped also by a blatant missed holding call on the play when Wild got injured), and then the dagger was the pick 6 which just totally deflated the already struggling offence.

Unlike many of the callers on OB, I do not believe that the sky is falling and that we need to blow the team up... I chalk it up to an off day for a few guys... the season is early and there is plenty of football yet to be played.

* I say it was BS because the receiver initiated the contact, and put Randle on the ground... it also all happened within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, so the c'mon centre blew another call as far as I'm concerned

28 minutes ago, Sard said:

What I saw tonight was a bad day at the office for Nichols , and the O in general.  I actually thought the OL was giving Nichols plenty of time but he double clutched a few times when he really just needed to pull the trigger and go long.  The one play that stands out there was when Harris was wide open right down the middle of the field and Nichols just dropped it off for a short pass that ended up incomplete.  There were also a few plays where Nichols and his receivers just weren't on the same page... usually with the throw going long and the receiver curling short (happened with both Adams and Washington at least once each).

Turning point in my mind was the BS* illegal contact call on the challenge because that allowed Calgary to score early in the 3rd (helped also by a blatant missed holding call on the play when Wild got injured), and then the dagger was the pick 6 which just totally deflated the already struggling offence.

Unlike many of the callers on OB, I do not believe that the sky is falling and that we need to blow the team up... I chalk it up to an off day for a few guys... the season is early and there is plenty of football yet to be played.

* I say it was BS because the receiver initiated the contact, and put Randle on the ground... it also all happened within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, so the c'mon centre blew another call as far as I'm concerned

I thought they announced last season that if the play was on the opposite side of the field (it was) and had no effect on the play it would not be considered a challengeable infraction?

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

8 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

And just before that drive there was 52 seconds left when calgary went to punt and MOS doesn't call a timeout?!?! 30 seconds ticked away by the time we snapped the ball . What the **** was he thinking?! I was screaming "call a ***ing timeout you jack***". Sometimes I really find it hard to figure out what is going on is MOS's brain. Combine brainfart coaching with wet paper bag D and Nichols s***ting all over the field in the 2nd half and it was Just a **** game altogether.

Probably saving his timeouts until the 4th quarter.  Kinda smart considering the **** officiating that requires challenges to get a blatant call.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

9 hours ago, bustamente said:

Probably wont see Wild for a while, they seemed really concerned about his wrist, looked like he rolled over it on the replay, Calgary was missing 3 quality d linemen didn't seem to hurt there game

Looked busted to me the way they were holding it walking off. Hope not, that's a huge hole to fill.

28 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Probably saving his timeouts until the 4th quarter.  Kinda smart considering the **** officiating that requires challenges to get a blatant call.

By passing up potential points before the half in a 10-9 game? Considering we have the best kicker in the league, that's not what I call smart.

It absolutely was Carmichael who stood offside on that goal line stand. Maybe Knox can step in for Wild who does look to be out for a few days, but the coaching is the problem, and no better than last year. There seems to be a philosophy that changing the game plan mid-game is taboo. I am not as down on Nichols as some, but its hard to separate his performance from the coaching direction and not being in sync with his receivers.

Just now, Atomic said:

It was a bad game.  The team still has work to do.  The sun came up again today.  Take it to the Argos next week.

That game is not going to be a gimme. Who would you bet on- a team coached by Trestman or one coached by O'shea and company? Ricky Ray or Nichols?

Just now, tracker said:

That game is not going to be a gimme. Who would you bet on- a team coached by Trestman or one coached by O'shea and company? Ricky Ray or Nichols?

Never said it was a gimme but I'll take the Bombers at home for sure.  Argos will be on 4 days rest.  My confidence in this team isn't shaken by one loss to the best team in the league.

Just now, Atomic said:

Never said it was a gimme but I'll take the Bombers at home for sure.  Argos will be on 4 days rest.  My confidence in this team isn't shaken by one loss to the best team in the league.

And its not shaken by barely scraping by the worst team in the league and then playing the same the next game? Good teams step up against good teams and this edition of the Bombers played worse, if anything, against a wounded opponent.

Lapo continues to baffle and infuriate me. I realize running an offence is easier said than done but why he insists on calling routes that leave the receiver stationary when they catch the ball defies any logical reason I am come up with. This is the CFL. There is a ton of room in the middle of the field. Call some bloody slants and give the receiver the ball where they have room to run. I realize some of this is on Nichols, who was abysmal last night but Lapo put the team in a hole last night. And yes I realize JFG was solid last night but he sees way too many balls. Nichols struggles badly with that throw to the wide side.

I also am afraid that going into the season with only Fogg as a legitimate returner is going to be a huge mistake. McDuffie was a massive difference maker last year and it did not seem like we even tried to bring in any replacements for him. Lankford is awful. One of the worst returners we've ever had and doesn't even have the ball security to justify his terrible returns. 

It is a shame because Heath, Randle and the D Line is amazing on this team and the O-Line, Adams and Dressler are really good. 

1 minute ago, tracker said:

And its not shaken by barely scraping by the worst team in the league and then playing the same the next game? Good teams step up against good teams and this edition of the Bombers played worse, if anything, against a wounded opponent.

Nope.  I was never under the illusion that this was going to be the best team in the league.  I saw us finishing anywhere from 8-10 to 12-6.  All I know is that this is a playoff team and my opinion hasn't changed in that regard.  Get hot at the right time, get into the playoffs and anything can happen.  Sure I would have loved to see a win last night, but I wasn't expecting it.

Just now, AKAChip said:

I also am afraid that going into the season with only Fogg as a legitimate returner is going to be a huge mistake. McDuffie was a massive difference maker last year and it did not seem like we even tried to bring in any replacements for him. Lankford is awful. One of the worst returners we've ever had and doesn't even have the ball security to justify his terrible returns. 

Once a fumbler, always a fumbler.  You can see it in the way he carries the damn ball.  Lankford's gotta go.

This will also be an unpopular opinion but Harris is not nearly good enough as a running back to justify being featured so much. I will give him credit, he is a good blocker and very good as a receiver out of the backfield but at this point his number on the ground come purely out of the sheer volume he gets. It will never happen but Flanders is legitimately a far superior back.