Omar Khadr cashes in

37 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think $150 million would have been money well spent to have prevented Khadr from getting that blood money from Trudeau. Again, I don't care about the UN & their resolutions. The UN is about as corrupt as the IOC, FIFA or any other huge world organization.

Lather, rinse, repeat 

On 13/07/2017 at 1:17 PM, SPuDS said:

this is what sticks in my craw most definitely.  nobody knows, everything is in a grey area.  why give someone 10.5 million dollars (which may or may not stay here in canada or get funnelled right back into Al-Queda as his father was a financier for said group) on a maybe/possibly/etc. 

I do understand that he was wronged and I get that he was "just a boy" but we've tried 15 year olds as adults in extreme circumstances (this is pretty f'in extreme) so why wouldn't that have been a consideration here?

this whole fiasco stinks.  I hate that the country I love now looks like we cater to terrorists.  I hate that my tax dollars at work are going towards this and this kangaroo court and I despise the fact that on an international stage, our PM looks like a pushover. 

There is no grey area when it comes to the settlement. It has nothing to do with what did or didn't happen in that compound in Afghanistan. The settlement is strictly regarding the actions and non-actions of the Canadian government when Khadr was held at Guantanamo Bay. 

The Harper government went to court to have Khadr's sentence declared an adult sentence. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled against them. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/omar-khadr-youth-or-adult-question-decided-by-top-court/article24421830/

It amazes me that people rely on anything that came out of Guantanamo Bay as being the truth. It opened in 2002 and still has detainees there as of January, 2017. Of the 775 people who were detained there, there were a grand total of 8 convictions and 4 of those have already been overturned on appeal. The American government ignored international law - holding people for years without charges and no access to counsel, torturing/killing detainees and the list goes on. The only kangaroo court in this case is the US military commission. 

11 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

There is no grey area when it comes to the settlement. It has nothing to do with what did or didn't happen in that compound in Afghanistan. The settlement is strictly regarding the actions and non-actions of the Canadian government when Khadr was held at Guantanamo Bay. 

The Harper government went to court to have Khadr's sentence declared an adult sentence. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled against them. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/omar-khadr-youth-or-adult-question-decided-by-top-court/article24421830/

It amazes me that people rely on anything that came out of Guantanamo Bay as being the truth. It opened in 2002 and still has detainees there as of January, 2017. Of the 775 people who were detained there, there were a grand total of 8 convictions and 4 of those have already been overturned on appeal. The American government ignored international law - holding people for years without charges and no access to counsel, torturing/killing detainees and the list goes on. The only kangaroo court in this case is the US military commission. 

Not surprised that you gloss over the major role played by the former Liberal governments and try to pin it all on Harper.  The liberals started this mess and botched it at the finish just as badly.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Not surprised that you gloss over the major role played by the former Liberal governments and try to pin it all on Harper.  The liberals started this mess and botched it at the finish just as badly.

The Chretien Liberals did screw up. There is no doubt. Fact is it was the Harper government's cases that the Supreme Court of Canada ruled against 3 times.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

So the govt. wastes millions of tax payer money fighting the outcome "till the cows come home" against all legal advice and in the end Khadr gets paid much more.  Does that fit your agenda or is it just the endless caterwauling that turns your crank?

I don't accept the premise that he would have been paid more. What "turns my crank" is that a terrorist got paid $10.5 million. Of Canadian taxpayer cash.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Yes this is the least surprising for sure. Painting Trudeau as some kind of hero for doling out taxpayer cash to a scumbag terrorist is the second least surprising.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't accept the premise that he would have been paid more. What "turns my crank" is that a terrorist got paid $10.5 million. Of Canadian taxpayer cash.

What do you base this on?  If you were in court on your own dime and your lawyer advised you to settle, would you ignore his advice and continue to try and prove your point?

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes this is the least surprising for sure. Painting Trudeau as some kind of hero for doling out taxpayer cash to a scumbag terrorist is the second least surprising.

I haven't seen this viewpoint expressed anywhere, he's just the poor schmuck that has to clean up the mess that previous PM's left behind.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

11 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What do you base this on?  If you were in court on your own dime and your lawyer advised you to settle, would you ignore his advice and continue to try and prove your point?

To be  fair have you  had any conversations  with him?

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:12 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

So the govt. wastes millions of tax payer money fighting the outcome "till the cows come home" against all legal advice and in the end Khadr gets paid much more. 

We will never agree that he would have been paid more.  That's just an incorrect assumption.  He should be paid nothing.  At some point, people need to tell unelected bureaucrats and judges that while their interpretations of our "Charter" make them feel all warm in their liberal tummies, this is our tax money, and they can't just dole it out at their whim, especially to murdering terrorists, that's just not right, unless we want to start electing our judges.  But I honestly don't think that's what happened, and I don't think that much if any money would have been awarded.  Justin was given orders on high to make this go away, as old uncle Jean was going to get dragged through the mud and make the Liberals look bad.  Which is why the money was paid, and the orders were given to somehow pin this all on Harper, which the willing trained seals were more than happy to do.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

14 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Interesting- how do you figure? I am genuinely interested how you came to this conclusion. What facts do you have to back that up? I would be interested in reading a few links if you were to post them. 

This is just one of many....

https://www.uspiked.com/justice/human-rights/2015/08/03/corruption-at-the-united-nations/

49 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You are a good sport for trying, but because it didn't come from Buzzfeed, CNN or MSNBC, this will just be dismissed as an alt-right blog.  Doesn't matter what it says, if it doesn't support the narrative, it's not to be read or believed.

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I can't wait for this to be an election issue in 2019... Gonna be fun.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

oh yeah!  I can't wait for Scheer to tear Mr. Um and Ah a new one at the first debate.

That would backfire. Remember the whole debacle with the Niqab? 

Neither the cons nor the libs will have a leg to stand on if they raise the Khadr issue in an election. 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

You are a good sport for trying, but because it didn't come from Buzzfeed, CNN or MSNBC, this will just be dismissed as an alt-right blog.  Doesn't matter what it says, if it doesn't support the narrative, it's not to be read or believed.

It's pretty common knowledge that the UN is corrupt. Anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty naïve.