Looking Ahead: Toronto Vs Winnipeg

Ok the loss to Calgary at home sucked, but shouldn't be all that shocking. The way we played however was but games done, were still 1-1 and now we face the Argos, who I picked to be #1 in the east in the prognostication thread(s) in the offseason. 

So what's it going to take to beat them? 

We are going to need to shut down SJ Green first and foremost. I thought the last few games we've done a reasonably well job shutting down the opposing team's top threats;

example: Marquay McDaniel: 46 yards 0 TDs,  DaVaris Daniels: 39 yards 0 TDs

Duron Carter: 69 yard 0 TD, Naaman Roosevelt:  59 yards 1 TD

The problem we've been seeing is opposing teams 3rd or 4th options lighting us up like Nic Demski, Caleb Holley, Kamar Jorden. that needs to stop.

If we were to move Roc Carmichael to LB in the wake of potentially losing Wild for any amount of significant time,  who would fill that role at HB? I'm not totally opposed to the thought of bringing back Frederick at this point, it can't get any worse then playing roc back there,  can it?

I think for morale reasons the bombers need a bounce back game here.  Even if we lose it's not the end of the world. Our season last year was looking like sweet ass until about week 6 when we destroyed the ticats, so plenty of time. But we need to show last game was just a bad outing for the team, and not the norm. 

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Roc might be able to fill in for Leggett at SAM but he doesn't look equipped to play WIL.  To put it in perspective he has the same dimensions as Denmark, 5'-10 190.

thats right, I forgot Roc was filling in for Leggett all preseason while Leggett was hurt.

Would then a switch between Leggett to the secondary and Roc to SAM be a better idea?  Not really sure who we have to fill in for Wild. It seemed like Jesse Briggs was getting a lot of action in Wild's place.  If we are playing Briggs (NI) maybe we see a defensive line up of

Alexander  Leggett   Loffler   Heath    Randle

Briggs     Knox    Carmichael

Okpalaugo   Johnson   Nevis   Westerman

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

thats right, I forgot Roc was filling in for Leggett all preseason while Leggett was hurt.

Would then a switch between Leggett to the secondary and Roc to SAM be a better idea?  Not really sure who we have to fill in for Wild. It seemed like Jesse Briggs was getting a lot of action in Wild's place.  If we are playing Briggs (NI) maybe we see a defensive line up of

Alexander  Leggett   Loffler   Heath    Randle

Briggs     Knox    Carmichael

Okpalaugo   Johnson   Nevis   Westerman

Would love to see Leggett back at HB until Johnson returns and see if Roc can play better at SAM, if not bye!  Replace Briggs with an import and start Thomas in place of Poop.

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Would love to see Leggett back at HB until Johnson returns and see if Roc can play better at SAM, if not bye!  Replace Briggs with an import and start Thomas in place of Poop.

not sure who we will be replacing Wild with,  our current LBs are;

Briggs, Hurl, Knox, Leggett (listed as a db) Miles, and Wild,  with Renaud and Santos-Knox on the PR and Gauthier on the 6-game.  Unless we are airlifting in someone our options at OLB are very limited

I wonder if Knox can play OLB and we go;  Knox   Hurl   Carmichael as our LB IF Wild is a no go that is,  nothing's been announced yet

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Ray will turn Carmichael inside out. I hope he's out. Totally. Amazing how one player can screw it for the others in the secondary. Such is the nature of football.

Unfortunately I think were too thin atm to release him, and Yes he's been a liability in the secondary. By all accounts he did a lot better at SAM in preseason, it might be more beneficial to swap him and Leggett positions. Carmichael still might get picked on a bit by Ray at SAM,  but at least it's for a lot shorter yardage and he gets more support from guys like Heath and Randle vs getting burnt man to man

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Hopefully Fogg is good and can start at HB Santos-Knox would come in for Wild. 

and go back to returning. 

I have a little bit of un ease for this game. We should win it. But if we play on D like we did against the riders or the 2nd half of the stamps game ricky ray might once again beat us silly. 

I'm on the fence on this one. I like our O line, RB and Receivers in general more than Toronto's, but Ray and SJ Green can take over a game all by themselves. I like their defense in general more than ours (68 points allowed in 3 games vs 69 in two, 14 Sacks to our 4, 379 Avg yards against to our 401) and I'll take their coaching staff, especially Trestman over ours. 

I didn't think they'd be as good as they are this early in the season. Should be a good game, hopefully with the right outcome.

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Our D only gave up 13 points in the 2nd half.. Thats not so bad considering our O couldnt move the ball all half. 

20 points in the 2nd half. 10-9 for us at half game ended 10-29. Our D was also well rested for once from the first half. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

That's it then. It's settled T(for Toronto)Burgess.

Congratulations on your new team and say hi to Bluto!

Dee's gotta Dee. It's been settled for a while, you will make **** up I didn't say then complain about it. I complain about you making **** up yet again. 

I wish I could be more confident about the Toronto game. Its axiomatic that if you are consistently bad, the problems can be identified and fixed. But if you are inconsistent as all get-out, that is a lot harder to remedy. The sea-change that Trestman and Popp have brought about for the Argos proves that coaching is the cause of inconsistency, and the past two games have raised some serious doubts.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

7 on the pick 6...not on the defense

Thats right.

At the half though BLM was under 50% and around 100 yards while he put up 200+ and ended up with just under 65% completion, and about half of messams yards came in the 4th, including a 10 play nearly 3 minute drive to end the game. 

27 minutes ago, tracker said:

I wish I could be more confident about the Toronto game. Its axiomatic that if you are consistently bad, the problems can be identified and fixed. But if you are inconsistent as all get-out, that is a lot harder to remedy. The sea-change that Trestman and Popp have brought about for the Argos proves that coaching is the cause of inconsistency, and the past two games have raised some serious doubts.

True, Toronto didn't just lose 28-15 last week.  Oh wait yes they did.  But they are consistent...?  All hail Trestman and Popp and their consistent 2-1 team.  Truly remarkable consistency.

21 minutes ago, Atomic said:

True, Toronto didn't just lose 28-15 last week.  Oh wait yes they did.  But they are consistent...?  All hail Trestman and Popp and their consistent 2-1 team.  Truly remarkable consistency.

I know people like the throw GREY CUP CHAMPS! but realistically ottawa wasn't even a .500 team last year.  So Toronto's wins came against them and Hamilton. Sure Ottawa played well against Calgary but that should be expected when you play them back to back to back and both HC's worked together as opposing coordinators in recent memory. They know each other well.

That said, I think something big working for us atm is Toronto has an even shorter week then us this week (5 days vs 6) and are traveling, we need to come out strong and fast and try to wear them out early

50 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thats right.

At the half though BLM was under 50% and around 100 yards while he put up 200+ and ended up with just under 65% completion, and about half of messams yards came in the 4th, including a 10 play nearly 3 minute drive to end the game. 

Pretty obvious the D was winded in the second half but it's only the second game so conditioning is still a factor and the offence is occasionally expected to give them a break, which they didn't.