GDT: Toronto @ Winnipeg

Rich

3 minutes ago, coach17 said:

Boy what I wouldn't give to have any one of them in their prime playing in place of Roc tonight. Would feel a lot better about our coverage unit.

if they were in their prime sure,  Kent in for wild and Hefney in for Carmichael all day everyday, maybe they are back as guest coaches

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

if they were in their prime sure,  Kent in for wild and Hefney in for Carmichael all day everyday, maybe they are back as guest coaches

Kent is not big enough to be a WIL.. sam, yes WIL no.  he'd get killed eventually in the run game.

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

i dunno at 5'9" and 200 lbs makes me think hes got a lower center of gravity  vs say wilds 6'1" 220, 20 pounds stretched over 4" isn't all that different

I'm just going off of Kent the player.. he was always a DB and a SAM.  he was also very scrawny if my memory serves.   I don't think he would last long as a WIL but thats just my opinion.  I've always leaned towards a Bass, Wild, Muamba type WIL for a defense.

Statistically , we're going to win.

From Ed Tait:

The Bombers are 11-4 in their last 15 games dating back to late last July, when quarterback Matt Nichols, guard Travis Bond and safety Taylor Loffler were all inserted into the starting lineup. Two of those losses were against Calgary, a third came versus the Edmonton Eskimos, and the other was against the Grey Cup champion Ottawa REDBLACKS.

•    Over that same 15-game stretch, only the Stamps – at 13-1-1 – have a better record than Winnipeg. (B.C. and Edmonton are 10-5, Montreal is 6-9, Ottawa is 5-9-1, Saskatchewan is 5-10, Hamilton is 4-11 and Toronto is 3-12, including a 2-1 start this year).

Realistically, we're going to do as fine as Matt Nichols plays.

It's simple. As long as Matt Nichols performs, we'll keep the defence off the field and R Ray on the bench and we will win.

Next question?

Edited by Mr Dee

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Statistically , we're going to win.

From Ed Tait:

The Bombers are 11-4 in their last 15 games dating back to late last July, when quarterback Matt Nichols, guard Travis Bond and safety Taylor Loffler were all inserted into the starting lineup. Two of those losses were against Calgary, a third came versus the Edmonton Eskimos, and the other was against the Grey Cup champion Ottawa REDBLACKS.

•    Over that same 15-game stretch, only the Stamps – at 13-1-1 – have a better record than Winnipeg. (B.C. and Edmonton are 10-5, Montreal is 6-9, Ottawa is 5-9-1, Saskatchewan is 5-10, Hamilton is 4-11 and Toronto is 3-12, including a 2-1 start this year).

Realistically, we're going to do as fine as Matt Nichols plays.

It's simple. As long as Matt Nichols performs, we'll keep the defence off the field and R Ray on the bench and we will win.

Next question?

So here's my dilemma for picking this game. Ray seems to have re-discovered the magic he had 3 years or so ago, and he has lit up the Bombers so many times in the past I can't count. SJ Green will be going up against Carmichael according to the pre-game reports - is there a bigger mis-match on paper right now in the entire league for receiver/DB match-ups? Richie Hall's defence is "rush 3 or 4, almost no blitzes, give the other team short stuff and let them dink and dunk until they mess up" rather than "pressure but risk the big play". Is there a better QB at taking advantage of the conservative defence in the last 15 years in the CFL than Ricky Ray? And add Mark Trestman to that equation, and that's a scary game plan we may have going on tonight. And the Argo receiving injury is offset by the absence of Wild and Okpalaugo. Hurl and Knox at LB does not give me the warm fuzzies. Am I wrong to think that their offense is set up really well against our defence tonight? And if we need to rely on turnovers to win like all of last year, Ray is pretty good at protecting things.

Now I think Nicholls and our weapons can match Ray offensively, but that front 7 of Toronto looked pretty awesome against Hamilton (really impressive stunts and schemes by their coaches), and we saw what a pressured Nicholls did last week against Calgary (and for half the game against Sask), so how our o-line dictates the play seems to be the key to everything, especially getting as big run game from Harris to burn the clock. And do we need to see a 7/7 field goal game from Medlock to win?

So my analysis is lots of doom and gloom from a match-ups perspective - here's the big question:

How much will a very short week hurt Toronto? Play Saturday on the road, probably weren't home until early Sunday morning, day off Sunday, Monday film day, doubtful they practiced much if at all, Tuesday practice, Wednesday travel to Winnipeg per league mandate to get in 24 hours in advance, limited practice I'd speculate, game day Thursday which allows for walk through only. So unless I'm way off on a weekly football schedule, maybe only one real practice day to prep. No?

So despite there being no real home advantage here (seriously, 11-26 since this place opened?), is the short week the great equalizer that cancels out all the other factors?

Help me out here, trying to decide my pick for the CFL pool I'm in, and this is what I have for the breakdown. What am I missing, overestimating, or underestimating? Would prefer hard logical analysis, not blatant homerism or "sky is falling" negativity without some basis for your takes. thanks. 

All i want is for this team to come out and play hard and well for a full game. On O D and teams. That and for them to play disciplined. If we do that and TO out plays us ill take it. This league is looking real tight this year, more important to get the A game going then any thing. Course a win will be great and we could really use it. 

6 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Walters better bring an Int LB or two in the PR.

We are getting thin there, if one of Knox or Santos-Knox got injured tonite, we will start 2 Nat on the LB next week and that will not look good.

briggs looked solid, in all be it limited reps. He bump hurl if he gets enough reps and the old boys club wears thin. John rush could go back to LBer, Perhaps we go with an extra imp DB and move loffler into the box. Maybe mulumba on a hope and a prayer comes up and plays MLB.

But yeah we could use imp LBer depth. Wonder what tony ortiz is doing now...

42 minutes ago, yogi said:

I just hope everyone has fun out there tonight. They're all winners.

I, for one, welcome Sarcastaball rule changes to the CFL.  

Also, this is the first game i have been able to watch this year.  Lets go get some of those goals out there tonight fellas :D  Harris for the hattrick.