GDT: Toronto @ Winnipeg

Rich

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Did Rocky Carmichael get burned badly tonight? If so, I missed it... 

No, actually the only real breakdown I saw that was sort of a break down was Heath on Coombs when Coombs bobbled the ball and then took off afterwards when everyone thought it wasn't gonna be caught.

10 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

A win is a win and always welcome.

Reffing. Jackson stepped out of bounds on his punt return. I'd say how do you mess it up but Jake Ireland is in charge of the command centre. The overturning of the PI on Toronto in the 4th. It was called PI on the field. You need INDISPUTIBLE EVIDENCE to overturn. You can see interference. Plus it took forever for them to call. If you have to think that long, not indisputible. Having Jake Ireland in charge of the command centre is like having Jason Boltus as your QB coach.

hey! Boltus is a champion!  don't hate on a legend lol. 

I've read in different spots, here and elsewhere, about all the Argo TD drops. I can only attribute 1 drop to a player and that was Brandon Whitaker, who tried to catch a sidearm throw, by catching sidearm himself.

The other 2 non-catches in the end zone by Argo players were actually fantastic defensive plays by the Bombers involved.

Firstly, there was Brandon Alexander sticking a hand through Edwards arms and knocking the ball out. Fantastic. And here it is:

IMG_0521.jpg

This was just before the Whitaker drop.

Next, kudos go to TJ Heath, instant star in this game, for swatting the ball while it was in Green's hands in the end zone. Couldn't get a decent shot of it, but that's the last thing you see before the ball comes out.

9 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I still can't understand how the C'mon Center could review that and uphold the play called on the field. That was bewildering.

they have been abysmal to start the season.. its really defying logic.  Everyone and their blind dogs can see things one way and the C'mon centre sees it exact opposite.  I don't get it.  it NEEDS to be rectified soon tho or else that bush league opinion of us will come back quickly.. How does instant replay not get it right?  its like the CFL is in bizarro world.

Just now, Mr Dee said:

I've read in different spots, here and elsewhere, about all the Argo TD drops. I can only attribute 1 drop to a player and that was Brandon Whitaker, who tried to catch a sidearm throw, by catching sidearm himself.

The other 2 non-catches in the end zone by Argo players were actually fantastic defensive plays by the Bombers involved.

Firstly, there was Brandon Alexander sticking a hand through Edwards arms and knocking the ball out. Fantastic. And here it is:

IMG_0521.jpg

Next, kudos go to TJ Heath, instant star in this game, for swatting the ball while it was in Green's hands in the end zone. Couldn't get a decent shot of it, but that's the last thing you see before the ball comes out.

yea I thought that Green miss in the end zone was more so Green but Heath looked like he swiped/hacked/punched it out at the end of the play to save the TD.  Green rarely lets that happen so big time Kudos to Heath on that.

25 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

thank god Trestman used up his challenges because Johnson's forearm shiv to the head could have been very costly.

Jeffcoat could have been called for RTP a few plays earlier as well, he was trying to get to the ball but smacked Ray in the mask instead.  I think Poop will be fined for his shot on Ray, that was a brutal missed call.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Jeffcoat could have been called for RTP a few plays earlier as well, he was trying to get to the ball but smacked Ray in the mask instead.  I think Poop will be fined for his shot on Ray, that was a brutal missed call.

yea I was thinking about that one too.. it wasn't as bad as Johnson's but if reviewed, would probably have gone against us.

38 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

IMG_0521.jpg

Have to give props to Alexander for keeping with the play when he was beaten soundly.  Sometimes it's not just sound technique but hustle that can save the day in the end.

34 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I believe coaches can't challenge in the final three minutes but Command Centre is supposed to watch and review. They did miss those hits on Ray though. I think Ray is going to be hard pressed to last the year because the OL isn't good.

thats a very good point.. so c'mon centre failed again.. this time in our favour but still a fail.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I still can't understand how the C'mon Center could review that and uphold the play called on the field. That was bewildering.

IMHO the play was very similar to Lankfords return in which they didn't overturn. If your not going to overturn one, it's safe to say you shouldn't over turn the other. It appeared both were out to me, but perhaps the "conclusive evidence" wasn't enough to change what the refs saw

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

IMHO the play was very similar to Lankfords return in which they didn't overturn. If your not going to overturn one, it's safe to say you shouldn't over turn the other. It appeared both were out to me, but perhaps the "conclusive evidence" wasn't enough to change what the refs saw

Why would they have overturned Lankford's return (that was pretty clear cut by comparison)? 

Just now, voodoochylde said:

Why would they have overturned Lankford's return (that was pretty clear cut)? 

didn't look clear cut on tv. I didn't see any green between his foot and the sideline, just like Jackson's foot. But it was close enough to the edge you can't say definitively that he was out, which is why I believe both reviews let the call on the field stand

2 hours ago, SPuDS said:

No, actually the only real breakdown I saw that was sort of a break down was Heath on Coombs when Coombs bobbled the ball and then took off afterwards when everyone thought it wasn't gonna be caught.

Iirc it looked like heath was (surprise surprise) breaking on the ball and coombs reached back knocked it to him self and caught it. Such a sick grab. If he doesnt make that crazy play its probably a pick. 

It sucks that they arent home (yet) but it does my heart good to see coombs and demski off to good starts.

Anybody else wish 1290 would axe Westy? Guy was a mediocre kicker and parlays that into a morning gig, where he's brutal. No knowledge or insight. Spent the morning bitching about the call on the Toronto kick return and kept saying the woman should sue the CFL. Westy should get down on his knees every day and give thanks for the CFL and the NI rule because otherwise the guy would have been a greeter at Walmart.

31 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Iirc it looked like heath was (surprise surprise) breaking on the ball and coombs reached back knocked it to him self and caught it. Such a sick grab. If he doesnt make that crazy play its probably a pick. 

It sucks that they arent home (yet) but it does my heart good to see coombs and demski off to good starts.

yea I think it was almost a defensive stab at the ball and it ended up being volley'd up just enough for him to make a play on it after the fact and turn it up field for a big gain.. definitely wasn't drawn up that way but I think Heath was very close to picking that one too yup.

29 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else wish 1290 would axe Westy? Guy was a mediocre kicker and parlays that into a morning gig, where he's brutal. No knowledge or insight. Spent the morning bitching about the call on the Toronto kick return and kept saying the woman should sue the CFL. Westy should get down on his knees every day and give thanks for the CFL and the NI rule because otherwise the guy would have been a greeter at Walmart.

So much bitterness and anger, and yet, you are clearly a regular listener.... Must be doing something right... 

I don't mind Westwood, he can be a bit annoying when gets on some of his rants, but there are some issues going on between him and Toth.  And not in a good way.   Makes for some awkward radio when Westwood calls Toth out on some of the things he says and neither will let it go.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

I don't mind Westwood, he can be a bit annoying when gets on some of his rants, but there are some issues going on between him and Toth.  And not in a good way.   Makes for some awkward radio when Westwood calls Toth out on some of the things he says and neither will let it go.

Agreed on all points. Westwood's kind of a **** to him. I'd like to know how they get along off the air.

Toth is brutal.  Westwood' delivery isn't great but at least there is a shred of intellect there.  Toth started talking about the penalty in the 14 Grey Cup on Hamilton equating it as a blown call with the one last night, but that one for sure was a penalty.  And then Westwood says that and then Toth says I know.  So what are you saying then?  It goes round and round.  I usually can't make it through a full segment of that crew since Toth joined.

Full Disclosure: Have never listened to their show. I should aircheck them sometime just just to see.  

Now, here's a couple things: Toth is there to be a host. He's gonna keep everything rolling along smoothly. Westy is there to be the opinionated blowhard. Whether you agree with him or not, his job is to make you feel something... Even if that means rage, against what he said. Usually, when you're pairing up guys to host a show like this, it helps if they're buddies, at least to a degree, so that they can discuss it and agree to disagree when necessary. If there are some off air issues and the guys don't get along for whatever reason, it can bleed over on air. They're human and have emotions. You just hope they're professional and do what's best for the station and the show. At the end of the day, all that matters is how many people are tuning in, especially how many Males 18-49!