GDT: Toronto @ Winnipeg

Rich

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Only 1 FG streaker left - Justin Medlock

That's awesome. But y'know what's awesomer? The way "Money" Medlock crushed that 56 yarder to keep his streak alive. Best kicker in the CFL.

19 hours ago, Mark F said:

On Monday, Rick Ralph is going to the afternoon show, replacing Gary Lawless.

Kevin Olschewzski (?) (think that's the name) who was just the other day canned  by CTV wpg, taking over Rick's 11 to 1.

great!

I really like Kevin, I like Rick, and I like Hustler.

sports radio is going to be very listenable here in the Peg.

I just hope that Kevin cheers up soon.  Seems pretty gloomy:

kevin-olszewski.jpg

26 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

How many times did they call an illegal block on the Bombers on Kevin fogg td returns last year, WAYYYY behind the play? Not the first time this has happened, just make a big deal because of the money and it's against the argos.

Exactly this... The whole story is stupid and when I found out they already win some kinda near-million dollar lottery, I care even less... 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Dangerous precedent? How about incompetent people officiating games that blow calls all the time affecting outcomes even with replay to get right. The CFL deserves all the blow back they get. Football fans are calling the CFL a joke as this happens all the time. That's a dangerous precedent. I'm all for getting rid of replays & challenges as well as firing Glenn Johnson. Go back to the way it was before.

Yes, Dangerous precedent.  The contest is based on the results on the field using real refs.  The line judge called a penalty which he deemed reasonable from his perspective on the field.  Whether or not it is the right call, it was the call on the field.  

Awarding extra prizes to the entrant is dangerous to the game and to any contests out there:

1. It undermines the Refs (it was a call, it was a penalty, you can't challange it, get over it)

2. What happens to the next person that is close to winning?  Do they get pity prizes too?  If not, why not?  They should sue for the same treatment.

3. Using logic from #2, The next penalty could stop a TD, thus stopping the next kick off.  This could easily snowball.  What if the penalty screws up someone's CFL sponsored Fantasy Football pick?  There are so many scenarios that this opens up.

28 minutes ago, ALuCsRED said:

Yes, Dangerous precedent.  The contest is based on the results on the field using real refs.  The line judge called a penalty which he deemed reasonable from his perspective on the field.  Whether or not it is the right call, it was the call on the field.  

Awarding extra prizes to the entrant is dangerous to the game and to any contests out there:

1. It undermines the Refs (it was a call, it was a penalty, you can't challange it, get over it)

2. What happens to the next person that is close to winning?  Do they get pity prizes too?  If not, why not?  They should sue for the same treatment.

3. Using logic from #2, The next penalty could stop a TD, thus stopping the next kick off.  This could easily snowball.  What if the penalty screws up someone's CFL sponsored Fantasy Football pick?  There are so many scenarios that this opens up.

Oh well, not a lot of sympathy for the officials from me.

If you take out the emotion of the contest and just go by the ruling of the field, we're left with just the kind of result that shouldn't happen. Shouldn't, but does. The call was made in live action, and although it was a very weak call, I'm assuming the official saw a hand push the back of a player, and that player went down....Flag, righteous or not.

But who can challenge that? The C'Mon Centre? On whose authority? Remember, take the contest out of it, and what you have is another error, or a bad call, or more precisely, a weak call. And that happens all the time, in every sport.

6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

If you take out the emotion of the contest and just go by the ruling of the field, we're left with just the kind of result that shouldn't happen. Shouldn't, but does. The call was made in live action, and although it was a very weak call, I'm assuming the official saw a hand push the back of a player, and that player went down....Flag, righteous or not.

But who can challenge that? The C'Mon Centre? On whose authority? Remember, take the contest out of it, and what you have is another error, or a bad call, or more precisely, a weak call. And that happens all the time, in every sport.

But more times than not in a CFL game. They can't even get it right using technology.

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But more times than not in a CFL game. They can't even get it right using technology.

No, they do make errors in the C'Mon Centre..and that shouldn't be, but the facts do not support your argument about more times than not. There were 62 penalties called over the last 4 games. You're telling me that errors were made over 31 times, and that's just wrong. We do notice the obvious ones, and they're the ones that stick out, but I really believe we take reffing for granted. It's the easy way. Blame the Refs, nobody going to challenge our indignation.

28 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

No, they do make errors in the C'Mon Centre..and that shouldn't be, but the facts do not support your argument about more times than not. There were 62 penalties called over the last 4 games. You're telling me that errors were made over 31 times, and that's just wrong. We do notice the obvious ones, and they're the ones that stick out, but I really believe we take reffing for granted. It's the easy way. Blame the Refs, nobody going to challenge our indignation.

Too many errors are being made. The CFL has made it virtually impossible now for a game not to have at least 2 or 3 contraversial calls made. They had a chance to fix the PI & incidental contact rules this off season but shockingly chose to sit on their hands & do nothing when it should have been taken care of. They allow challenges now to be fishing expeditions by head coaches as in "The BC Lions are challenging pass interference on their receiver #87 by Alouettes defender #31. We will review the play", Even though the so called interference was on the opposite side of the field where the ball was thrown.  IC called by a receiver simply targeting & running into a DB or they're hand fighting. Sorry, the CFL & Glenn Johnson caused this stinking pile of crap & the smell that's gone with it. Fans are being turned off, games are being affected.  If Randy Ambrosie doesn't fix this after this season the CFL will be in big trouble if it isn't already. Again, I have absolutely no sympathy for the officials. I hold jeff Orridge responsible for letting Glenn  Johnson run wild as Head of Officials as he was clueless as Commissioner. Johnson absolutely has to go as well as coaches challenges, PI & IC rules downfield need to be changed as well as replay reviews closely scrutinized this off season.  The game has to be given back to the players & fans. In their effort to "make it right", the CFL has got it all wrong.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The CFL has made it virtually impossible now for a game not to have at least 2 or 3 contraversial calls made.

I know you're frustrated, but this statement ^^ is simply not true.

There is so much action and many great plays made by a hell of a lot of players on the field and you're focusing on the Officials? Don't let the few 'errors' in the moment spoil the overall enjoyment of watching CFL football ? 

43 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I know you're frustrated, but this statement ^^ is simply not true.

There is so much action and many great plays made by a hell of a lot of players on the field and you're focusing on the Officials? Don't let the few 'errors' in the moment spoil the overall enjoyment of watching CFL football ? 

You talk to casual fans or the ones who may buy the odd ticket to a game or only watch briefly in a bar. The ones the CFL is trying to reel in as new fans. They'll tell you the CFL is a joke & they don't want to watch because of the Mickey Mouse officiating. It's sad but true. We're hooked so we'll watch regardless & tell everyone how great our game is, but to that % of people they feel differently. Perception is everything. To the football fans who are NFL or nothing all these flags & blown calls just validates that they'll never support the CFL & that real football starts in September. You can't put duct tape on this problem hoping to fix it as it's just too big. You have to tear it out & start all over.

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You talk to casual fans or the ones who may buy the odd ticket to a game or only watch briefly in a bar. The ones the CFL is trying to reel in as new fans. They'll tell you the CFL is a joke & they don't want to watch because of the Mickey Mouse officiating. It's sad but true. We're hooked so we'll watch regardless & tell everyone how great our game is, but to that % of people they feel differently. Perception is everything. To the football fans who are NFL or nothing all these flags & blown calls just validates that they'll never support the CFL & that real football starts in September. You can't put duct tape on this problem hoping to fix it as it's just too big. You have to tear it out & start all over.

Most of the people that I've met who are NFL fans are fans because it's the NFL.  I've never once had someone say "I'd watch the CFL but the reffing is a joke."  Not once.  At the same time, I've never heard an NFL fan ever complain about officiating in that league because, as we all know, the reffing in the NFL is just perfect.  People and their agendas... 

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

Most of the people that I've met who are NFL fans are fans because it's the NFL.  I've never once had someone say "I'd watch the CFL but the reffing is a joke."  Not once.  At the same time, I've never heard an NFL fan ever complain about officiating in that league because, as we all know, the reffing in the NFL is just perfect.  People and their agendas... 

Yeah, well I have. Lots of times. NFL fans here in Canada watch a DB get called for IC with a minimum of contact & they go, "Bush League!!! Real football starts in September". That is killing the game to anyone who knows football but doesn't watch the CFL when they do.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Oh well, not a lot of sympathy for the officials from me.

I think it's important to remember that the officials have bosses and are following their orders. For the most part I believe they are doing what they're told.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

If, as you say, the official saw a hand to the back, then a flag should be thrown. Players need to know better.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Now this is inexcusable.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Right, and that needs to be fixed.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Too many errors are being made. The CFL has made it virtually impossible now for a game not to have at least 2 or 3 contraversial calls made. They had a chance to fix the PI & incidental contact rules this off season but shockingly chose to sit on their hands & do nothing when it should have been taken care of. They allow challenges now to be fishing expeditions by head coaches as in "The BC Lions are challenging pass interference on their receiver #87 by Alouettes defender #31. We will review the play", Even though the so called interference was on the opposite side of the field where the ball was thrown.  IC called by a receiver simply targeting & running into a DB or they're hand fighting. Sorry, the CFL & Glenn Johnson caused this stinking pile of crap & the smell that's gone with it. Fans are being turned off, games are being affected.  If Randy Ambrosie doesn't fix this after this season the CFL will be in big trouble if it isn't already. Again, I have absolutely no sympathy for the officials. I hold jeff Orridge responsible for letting Glenn  Johnson run wild as Head of Officials as he was clueless as Commissioner. Johnson absolutely has to go as well as coaches challenges, PI & IC rules downfield need to be changed as well as replay reviews closely scrutinized this off season.  The game has to be given back to the players & fans. In their effort to "make it right", the CFL has got it all wrong.

On this point I disagree. Why should it matter what side of the field it is on? The QB may have wanted to go there but couldn't because his receiver was being mugged, so he threw to the other side of the field. It's still a penalty and should be called.

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Is that really why they don't watch? All of them? I believe a lot of them don't watch because it's not American ball and it's not being played by the very best athletes. Fixing the officiating isn't going to change that.

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

I think it's important to remember that the officials have bosses and are following their orders. For the most part I believe they are doing what they're told.

If, as you say, the official saw a hand to the back, then a flag should be thrown. Players need to know better.

Now this is inexcusable.

Right, and that needs to be fixed.

On this point I disagree. Why should it matter what side of the field it is on? The QB may have wanted to go there but couldn't because his receiver was being mugged, so he threw to the other side of the field. It's still a penalty and should be called.

Is that really why they don't watch? All of them? I believe a lot of them don't watch because it's not American ball and it's not being played by the very best athletes. Fixing the officiating isn't going to change that.

Disagree on your last point. It may not bring in the hardcore NFL fans but it may bring in the casual fan. Seeing great plays being wiped out by bad calls would turn anyone off. If Ambrosie removes or fires Glenn Johnson this off season then we'll know he's on the right track as this all starts & ends with him. If he leaves Johnson as Head of Officiating then it means status quo is acceptable. We'll see what kind of mark our new Commish makes.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Disagree on your last point. It may not bring in the hardcore NFL fans but it may bring in the casual fan. Seeing great plays being wiped pout by bogus calls would turn anyone off. If Ambrosie removes or fires Glenn Johnson this off season then we'll know he's on the right track as this all starts & ends with him. If he leaves Johnson as Head of Officiating then it means status quo is acceptable. We'll see what kind of mark our new Commish makes.

Whatever is going on in the C'mon Centre is bizarre and something needs to change there. If Glenn Johnson is fired who do you replace him with? Paul Lapolice? :) Seriously though, who takes over? You might find someone better, you might find someone worse. I sure can't think of anyone that even wants the job let alone would do it and do it well. There isn't a lot of money in that particular line of work.

8 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

A lot of has with only having one game on at a time. All attention is focused on one game instead of 6 or 7 like most leagues. It's very easy to pick apart every decision. Is there problems most definitely but I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

"one person with an agenda"