GDT: Toronto @ Winnipeg

Rich

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

It was a chintzy call IMO but I doubt that challenging the call would have changed it.

Totally agree.  The league passing the buck. They totally screwed up the call and don't want to admit it.

I don't think they would have overturned it.  Does it happen 20 times a game and only get called a few times?  Yes.  Is it a penalty? Yes.  You can't block in the back.  It's literally the first thing you are taught when you're 8 years old in full pads for the first time, much like checking from behind in hockey.  Even though Miller cut in front of Noel that doesn't mean he can coast through him.  It's on him.  I'm also not so sure about the "he was gone" argument because he still had one more cut to make from the sideline in and potentially could have been caught.

Personally I don't like those calls.  They are so inconsistent on blocking penalties on returns.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't think they would have overturned it.  Does it happen 20 times a game and only get called a few times?  Yes.  Is it a penalty? Yes.  You can't block in the back.  It's literally the first thing you are taught when you're 8 years old in full pads for the first time, much like checking from behind in hockey.  Even though Miller cut in front of Noel that doesn't mean he can coast through him.  It's on him.  I'm also not so sure about the "he was gone" argument because he still had one more cut to make from the sideline in and potentially could have been caught.

Personally I don't like those calls.  They are so inconsistent on blocking penalties on returns.

This.

Until a player crosses the goal line the play isn't over.  I've seen too many instances where a ball pops out (player loses the handle) or gets run down unexpectedly.  You have to play it out and if you're on the return team, if you can see your opponent's back, keep your damned hands off him! This whole thing is avoided if the Argo player shows a little discipline.

2 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

This.

Until a player crosses the goal line the play isn't over.  I've seen too many instances where a ball pops out (player loses the handle) or gets run down unexpectedly.  You have to play it out and if you're on the return team, if you can see your opponent's back, keep your damned hands off him! This whole thing is avoided if the Argo player shows a little discipline.

Funny, the names of the two players involved have not been mentioned in any of these discussions, it's all about Karen and that damn prize money.

23 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I completely agree... the problem in this situation wasn't the penalty call... it was technically correct... the problem is that the league has decided that incidental conact in that situation should be a penalty...