GDT: Toronto @ Winnipeg

Rich

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You talk to casual fans or the ones who may buy the odd ticket to a game or only watch briefly in a bar. The ones the CFL is trying to reel in as new fans. They'll tell you the CFL is a joke & they don't want to watch because of the Mickey Mouse officiating. It's sad but true. We're hooked so we'll watch regardless & tell everyone how great our game is, but to that % of people they feel differently. Perception is everything. To the football fans who are NFL or nothing all these flags & blown calls just validates that they'll never support the CFL & that real football starts in September. You can't put duct tape on this problem hoping to fix it as it's just too big. You have to tear it out & start all over.

Hey Speedy,

Not sure if you know this, but the NFL has been crosstraining their officials in the CFL during the summer season.  This year the system was expanded.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/05/16/cfl-nfl-expand-officiating-development-program-second-season/

I wonder if the ref who threw the flag was a CFL official or NFL official...

5 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

Hey Speedy,

Not sure if you know this, but the NFL has been crosstraining their officials in the CFL during the summer season.  This year the system was expanded.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/05/16/cfl-nfl-expand-officiating-development-program-second-season/

I wonder if the ref who threw the flag was a CFL official or NFL official...

Good question....

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Finally caught up on all the games I missed, and boy if I were an Argo fan I would be awfully upset with the reffing in that game. Just atrocious reffing all around and there were at least 2 missed roughing the passer plays where a Bomber got Ray in the helmet. 

Imagine tens of people being that upset...  The league could offer to rent a small bus and take them all for an ice cream, 

23 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Imagine tens of people being that upset...  The league could offer to rent a small bus and take them all for an ice cream, 

Not quite as funny when you are on the other side of the bad calls. That's what concerns me, this week it was the Argo's, who will it be next week?

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Finally caught up on all the games I missed, and boy if I were an Argo fan I would be awfully upset with the reffing in that game. Just atrocious reffing all around and there were at least 2 missed roughing the passer plays where a Bomber got Ray in the helmet. 

If the refs are not looking at the qb when he throws the ball, I really have to wonder what they are looking at.

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Not quite as funny when you are on the other side of the bad calls. That's what concerns me, this week it was the Argo's, who will it be next week?

The ol' sword of Damacles, who will it drop on next?

The first one I would have been upset with if it happened to us, it was marginal contact on Ray's head but the second one, I just don't know how that isn't called it was so blatant. I don't think it was necessarily intentional but that is a textbook call. I haven't thought much of Ben Major's crew in the two games he reffed for us and this one had a much more favourable slant towards the Bombers.

8 minutes ago, Ripper said:

over the course of the last 5 seasons, I've seen us be at the mercy of the refs and their brutal calls so often, I stopped assuming anything when a flag came out (or didn't lol)  I'm sure its been equal across the board but watching QB after QB get crushed without any calls,  receivers get mugged, no call.. guys 3-4 strides off-side and no call only to get a TD or massive gain,  5 yard on punts ignored, etc etc.. you start to go numb a bit. 

I was really hoping this merger with the NFL would have had some improvements happening by now but.. I just don't see it.. have we got worse?

12 minutes ago, Ripper said:

We've been on the wrong side of plenty of bad calls.  It's football.  Stuff like that is going to happen.  Sure, in the moment it's infuriating but at least we can take comfort in the fact that we're not in Saskatchewan.  Can't put a price on that!

5 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

The ol' sword of Damacles, who will it drop on next?

The first one I would have been upset with if it happened to us, it was marginal contact on Ray's head but the second one, I just don't know how that isn't called it was so blatant. I don't think it was necessarily intentional but that is a textbook call. I haven't thought much of Ben Major's crew in the two games he reffed for us and this one had a much more favourable slant towards the Bombers.

There was one bad call against the bombers on the punt return td when the guy stepped out of bounds, but by and large the Argo's really got killed by the refs. The call we are seeing week in and week out is PI or illegal contact on players no where near the play. Total BS. IMHO the ball has to be deemed catchable, thrown to the receiver when the call is made. Not catchable equals no call. No more fishing expeditions.

I want to give some love to Weston Dressler. Night and day our most productive and consistent reciever. 309 yards in just three games, almost 17 yards per reception and already has as many touchdowns as he did all of last season. Looks really good so far. Thanks Saskachewan :)

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I want to give some love to Weston Dressler. Night and day our most productive and consistent reciever. 309 yards in just three games, almost 17 yards per reception and already has as many touchdowns as he did all of last season. Looks really good so far. Thanks Saskachewan :)

To be noted, currently ahead of any Sask. receiver in terms of reception yards thanks to the Sask. D.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Hey guys, this struck me as kinda weird, but out here in Toronto this thing with the woman who coulda won a million for that 2nd kickoff return for a TD has taken on a life of it's own. It's on the radio talk shows out here and not even the sports ones. Some radio personalities are saying this woman got screwed big time and that there is something definitely fishy with the ref who threw the flag nullifying the second TD. They're saying things like the flag was thrown 25 seconds after the play, which I know isn't true. They're also saying this is a poor old woman who desperately needs the money but that's not true either. Are you guys hearing much about this in Winnipeg? Are other cities talking about this too?

I don't know if this has been asked in this thread or elsewhere but has anyone asked Trestman why he didn't challenge the illegal block penalty on the called back kick-off return? It was in the 2nd quarter, he hadn't used either challenge then and it was a challengeable play.

Edited by Jacquie

Another question I had about a Trestman decision, and forgive me if this was already discussed, but I'm 99.9% sure he had 1 timeout left when the bombers knee'd out the clock 3 plays in a row. Why wouldn't he have used it once to force at least a kick? It was a 1 possession game. I found that very odd, like he conceded to the bombers even though he had a chance to try to change the outcome. 

5 hours ago, Jacquie said:

I don't know if this has been asked in this thread or elsewhere but has anyone asked Trestman why he didn't challenge the illegal block penalty on the called back kick-off return? It was in the 2nd quarter, he hadn't used either challenge then and it was a challengeable play.

Can that be challenged? I don't think it can.

46 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Can that be challenged? I don't think it can.

Quick run down on Challenges and plays that can be challenged.

The following penalties may be challenged by the coach whether they were called or not called during play

• Defensive Pass Interference

• Illegal Contact on a Receiver • Offensive Pass Interference

• Illegal Interference – Blocking Downfield on a pass play

Note: Should any of the above 4 penalties be challenged, all 4 types will be ruled on

• Roughing the Passer • Roughing or Contacting the Kicker

• No Yards

The following penalty may be challenged by the coach ONLY if it was called during play

• Illegal Block Penalties on Kick Plays

1. Team Challenges:

• Must be initiated by Head Coach by throwing a challenge flag prior to the next legal snap or within 30 seconds of the start of any TV commercial timeout. It is the responsibility of the coach to get the attention of the nearest official and to throw his challenge flag.

• Each team gets two challenges per game, and a third challenge is earned if a Coach wins both of his first 2 challenges.

• A team must have a time-out remaining to initiate a challenge.

• If the challenge is unsuccessful prior to the 3-minute warning being given in the 4th quarter, the team will lose a time-out.

• A team may challenge a Standard Reviewable Aspect at any time prior to the 3-minute warning being given in the 4th quarter. o A review of any Standard Reviewable Aspect will also automatically include reviewing all other Standard Reviewable Aspects.

• A team may challenge a Coach Challengeable Penalty at any time in the game like any other challenge subject to the following:

o The coach must identify the player that allegedly committed the foul or the player upon whom the foul was committed. Only those players will be viewed in the review.

o Coach Challengeable Penalties are not Standard Reviewable Aspects and will not be automatically reviewed by the Replay Official under any circumstance.

o A team will only be able to challenge a Coach Challengeable Penalty a maximum of ONE TIME after the 3 minute warning has been given in the 4th quarter and Overtime (together deemed as one period of time) even if they had 2 challenges remaining going into this period of time.

o After the three-minute warning has been given in the 4th quarter, a team must have both a challenge and a time-out remaining, or if in Overtime the team must have only a challenge remaining, to be able to challenge a Coach Challengeable Penalty.

❖ If a team challenges a Called penalty during this time, the team uses its challenge but does NOT put a timeout at risk.

❖ If a team challenges a non-called penalty during this time and the ruling is not changed, then the team uses its challenge AND loses its remaining time-out.

• A team may challenge a Standard Reviewable Aspect that has already been automatically reviewed by the Replay Official. If they win that challenge they will retain their challenge. CFL OFFICIAL PLAYING RULES 71

• A review of any Coach Challengeable Penalty will also automatically include reviewing all Standard Reviewable Aspects.

• A team will be subject to a delay of game penalty for throwing a challenge flag for any of the following:

o Attempting a challenge with no challenges remaining.

o Attempting a challenge with no time-out remaining.

Yesterday on the sportscage, Rod Pederson was reading something from the league. Basically said they didn't review the play because it was challengeable. I didn't know this either. A lesson for all teams, if you don't like the call, challenge it.

Edited by Ripper