Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FrostyWinnipeg

Anyone collect hockey cards?

12 posts in this topic

I'm not as hardcore as I once was, but I have got sets from the early 90s when I first got into it. As an adult, with expendable income, I spend a fair bit of time on eBay looking for specific types of memorabilia. Sometimes it's cards of specific guys that I really like (Toews, Eberle, etc) and sometimes it's different types of memorabilia. I look for old jerseys, autographed 8x10s....but it's all about specific players for me, now, rather than whole sets and stuff...

actually a few years ago I went into a Galaxy Comics store on Henderson just north of McLeod, their 2nd floor is ALL cards and it's an impressive collection, if you're ever looking for a specific set from a specific year there's a good chance they have it. When I was younger my local sports store was called Tony-O's in Windsor Park, wasn't a very big store but he always bought my hologram marvel cards for $5 which was big money back then!

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

My dad's first ever set was the 1979-80 O Pee Chee set..........THAT is a nice set to have. 

O Pee Chee seems to have been the big money for rookie cards back then, I've seen it on sale in a few different place for around $2K but it's definitely the style I associate most with O Pee Chee

Image result for wayne gretzky rookie card

Noeller likes this

it's been many of years, I'm trying to think of what the big card companies were back in the day,  O Pee Chee, Upper Deck, Pro Set, Topps... probably forgetting a few

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

it's been many of years, I'm trying to think of what the big card companies were back in the day,  O Pee Chee, Upper Deck, Pro Set, Topps... probably forgetting a few

I have a set of Parkhurst from about 1994......

16 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Image result for wayne gretzky rookie card

Put that card on my bike to make noise and have no regrets about it.

Reason I brought up the thread was someones asked me to sell some household stuff for them and theres a binder of ccards from the early 90s but thats when the craze was going so figure not worth much.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg
Noeller likes this

I had half a response typed up...  But you know what, this has motivated me to dig out my old card binders and bring back some nostalgia! 

Will report back with some of my faves! 

Noeller likes this

My dad and I used to collect back in the late 80's/early 90's and amassed quite a large collection. Hockey, baseball, football, basketball. Ofcourse me being an idiot in my mid-20's, decided i needed some quick cash and sold most of the collection for pennies on the dollar. Big time regret. So dumb. Theyve really waned in popularity over the last 20+ years and i wonder if there will ever come a time again when they are as popular. I remember collecting baseball a lot in the late 80's and it was just Topps, Fleer, and Donruss and too a smaller extent Leaf. Hockey was just O-Pee-Chee and Topps. Now my god, there must be 50+ different manufacturers. Back in the day a player had ONE rookie card per Manufacturer, now its like 100. I was looking at maybe getting a Laine rookie and its insane the amount of options. Some for $5, others nearly $1000. Never mind all the grading that goes on now too. Just ridiculous.

Over the last few years i started getting back into it a bit, picking up a card or two every few months but just Jets and Blue Bomber players. Ive started a nice little collection of 1959 Wheaties cards with Kenny Ploen, Gerry James, Leo Lewis, and Buddy Tinsley. I was hoping to get a Bud Grant rookie and ive seen a couple but they are a little too rich for my blood. I started with the core Jets, Scheifele, Trouba, Wheeler, Little rookies. Then started to get into the older guys Selanne, Hawerchuk, Housley, Steen, Essensa, and then even older Erik-Sjoberg, Hedberg, Nilsson and Boddy Hull's 1st card as a Jet. Surprisingly most of these cards were quite inexpensive. Nice nostalgia feeling to it.

Noeller likes this

One of my favourite things in my collection, is a whole set of Khari Jones cards that his dad Ray sent me. Some autographed, some not. At the time, as of 2004ish, it was every single card of his. Ray was a member of OurBombers.com back in the day and saw how much of a fan I was, sent me a PM asking for my address so he could mail them to me, totally free. He is a great man... 

Edited by Noeller
BRock71, bb1, Rich and 5 others like this