Anyone collect hockey cards?

I'm not as hardcore as I once was, but I have got sets from the early 90s when I first got into it. As an adult, with expendable income, I spend a fair bit of time on eBay looking for specific types of memorabilia. Sometimes it's cards of specific guys that I really like (Toews, Eberle, etc) and sometimes it's different types of memorabilia. I look for old jerseys, autographed 8x10s....but it's all about specific players for me, now, rather than whole sets and stuff...

actually a few years ago I went into a Galaxy Comics store on Henderson just north of McLeod, their 2nd floor is ALL cards and it's an impressive collection, if you're ever looking for a specific set from a specific year there's a good chance they have it. When I was younger my local sports store was called Tony-O's in Windsor Park, wasn't a very big store but he always bought my hologram marvel cards for $5 which was big money back then!

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

it's been many of years, I'm trying to think of what the big card companies were back in the day,  O Pee Chee, Upper Deck, Pro Set, Topps... probably forgetting a few

I have a set of Parkhurst from about 1994......

16 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Image result for wayne gretzky rookie card

Put that card on my bike to make noise and have no regrets about it.

Reason I brought up the thread was someones asked me to sell some household stuff for them and theres a binder of ccards from the early 90s but thats when the craze was going so figure not worth much.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

My dad and I used to collect back in the late 80's/early 90's and amassed quite a large collection. Hockey, baseball, football, basketball. Ofcourse me being an idiot in my mid-20's, decided i needed some quick cash and sold most of the collection for pennies on the dollar. Big time regret. So dumb. Theyve really waned in popularity over the last 20+ years and i wonder if there will ever come a time again when they are as popular. I remember collecting baseball a lot in the late 80's and it was just Topps, Fleer, and Donruss and too a smaller extent Leaf. Hockey was just O-Pee-Chee and Topps. Now my god, there must be 50+ different manufacturers. Back in the day a player had ONE rookie card per Manufacturer, now its like 100. I was looking at maybe getting a Laine rookie and its insane the amount of options. Some for $5, others nearly $1000. Never mind all the grading that goes on now too. Just ridiculous.

Over the last few years i started getting back into it a bit, picking up a card or two every few months but just Jets and Blue Bomber players. Ive started a nice little collection of 1959 Wheaties cards with Kenny Ploen, Gerry James, Leo Lewis, and Buddy Tinsley. I was hoping to get a Bud Grant rookie and ive seen a couple but they are a little too rich for my blood. I started with the core Jets, Scheifele, Trouba, Wheeler, Little rookies. Then started to get into the older guys Selanne, Hawerchuk, Housley, Steen, Essensa, and then even older Erik-Sjoberg, Hedberg, Nilsson and Boddy Hull's 1st card as a Jet. Surprisingly most of these cards were quite inexpensive. Nice nostalgia feeling to it.

One of my favourite things in my collection, is a whole set of Khari Jones cards that his dad Ray sent me. Some autographed, some not. At the time, as of 2004ish, it was every single card of his. Ray was a member of OurBombers.com back in the day and saw how much of a fan I was, sent me a PM asking for my address so he could mail them to me, totally free. He is a great man... 

Edited by Noeller

• 2 weeks later...

I used to collect in the early 90's.  Upperdeck was the bomb.  Havent looked for ages but Im pretty sure I have Teemu, Belfour, Lindros rookie cards.

When the Jets were announced as coming back, I was at some comic fair or something and a collectable booth had put together an Atlanta Thrashers 8X10 display with a mini Thrashers banner and the previous season's upperdeck cards for the core players (Little, Buff, Wheeler etc).  I bought it for posterity and a Kane rookie card.

We moved late last year and are still fixing up the office but I have several of those framed pictures like you often see up for auctions for charity.  Hoping to put everything in my office in a bit of a collection display (have a signed Bombers football, signed Goldeyes baseball etc).  I dont have anything too valuable I dont think.  But things I'd enjoy looking at.

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I used to collect in the early 90's.  Upperdeck was the bomb.  Havent looked for ages but Im pretty sure I have Teemu, Belfour, Lindros rookie cards.

When the Jets were announced as coming back, I was at some comic fair or something and a collectable booth had put together an Atlanta Thrashers 8X10 display with a mini Thrashers banner and the previous season's upperdeck cards for the core players (Little, Buff, Wheeler etc).  I bought it for posterity and a Kane rookie card.

We moved late last year and are still fixing up the office but I have several of those framed pictures like you often see up for auctions for charity.  Hoping to put everything in my office in a bit of a collection display (have a signed Bombers football, signed Goldeyes baseball etc).  I dont have anything too valuable I dont think.  But things I'd enjoy looking at.

that's really cool. I have most of that stuff up in a spare bedroom in our house (formerly 17to85's drunken-pass-out room) until we (one day...) finish our basement and I have a proper rec room to display that. Dozens of jerseys, footballs, game worn cutter gloves, framed turf/seating from the old stadium, Swag Rag from 2011, etc.......love having that kinda stuff.

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that's really cool. I have most of that stuff up in a spare bedroom in our house (formerly 17to85's drunken-pass-out room) until we (one day...) finish our basement and I have a proper rec room to display that. Dozens of jerseys, footballs, game worn cutter gloves, framed turf/seating from the old stadium, Swag Rag from 2011, etc.......love having that kinda stuff.

OK first, still need to dig out the old hockey cards, haven't gotten around to it....

Now you've reminded of a whole other set of goodies to search for!  

My childhood intro to Bomber football at the old stadium was sitting 4 rows from the field, right beside the visitor's dressing room.  Man, the memories down there!  Coaches smoking at halftime, belligerent fans yelling at the opponents.  I was lucky enough to score gloves, towels & even a chin strap (lol!) from some of the greats; Damon Allen, Tracy Ham, Mike Pringle, Allen Pitts.  I still remember Garcia and co. bringing the Cup right past us to their dressing room in '98.

Sad story... my grandfather collected everything for years.   Mainly baseball but also a lot of hockey.   Had binders and those white longer cardboard boxes full of complete sets from the 60's on.     

He kept it all in the basement with a tonne of other crap  (a la hoarders)...  until a few years ago when the basement flooded and everything was destroyed.     

Totally sucked because I remember looking at his rookie cards for Nolan Ryan,  Gretzky and a whole bunch of greats as a kid.    All gone =\

My fondest memory was Upper Deck cards at school and trying to figure out who this rookie named Jaromir Jagr was with his goofy hair cut and weird name :P 

47cf2eded194b_56670n.jpg

I think what started to turn me off of collecting was people saying 'well thats not his *real* rookie card, its just his future superstar card' (or whatever sub-series they'd have.  Or, you have to have a specific brand of card.  And then they'd create so many sub-series or specials (holographic cards) that it became overwhelming (same reason I stopped collecting comics, when they'd do stupid massive cross-overs or create new titles suddenly).