Looking Ahead: Winnipeg Vs BC

figured I'd get the ball rolling on our next match up, and big game against a division rival.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how we let Martese Jackson put up the 4th best return night in cfl history. Was it we were playing that bad on a few of those drives or he was just playing that good?  I think after making a good 2nd half adjustment, we really limited his returns after that.  I hope whatever we did in the 2nd half carries over vs BC as Rainey is always a dangerous returner.

I think our DL will have another big night as I don't think much of BC's OL.  

So far BC has relied on 4th quarter surges to snag their 2 W's, otherwise the games were tight and winnable for the opponents.

This Matt Nichols lead team have been road warriors the last while going 7-2 on the road last year (including that last play fg to win by calgary) and currently 1-0 this year.  Do they feel less pressure on the road? or do they just enjoy spoiling parties?

If the bombers want some league wide respect, I think a big W coming out of Vancouver goes a long way to establishing that. 

Our secondary will have it's hands full with Arceneaux and Burnham, I'd imagine Heath and Randle will be their cover guys, but I have a feeling Arceneaux will want to torch Loffler as this will be the first time seeing each other since Loffler laid the lumber to him in the WSF

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

figured I'd get the ball rolling on our next match up, and big game against a division rival.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how we let Martese Jackson put up the 4th best return night in cfl history. Was it we were playing that bad on a few of those drives or he was just playing that good?  I think after making a good 2nd half adjustment, we really limited his returns after that.  I hope whatever we did in the 2nd half carries over vs BC as Rainey is always a dangerous returner.

I think our DL will have another big night as I don't think much of BC's OL.  

So far BC has relied on 4th quarter surges to snag their 2 W's, otherwise the games were tight and winnable for the opponents.

This Matt Nichols lead team have been road warriors the last while going 7-2 on the road last year (including that last play fg to win by calgary) and currently 1-0 this year.  Do they feel less pressure on the road? or do they just enjoy spoiling parties?

If the bombers want some league wide respect, I think a big W coming out of Vancouver goes a long way to establishing that. 

Our secondary will have it's hands full with Arceneaux and Burnham, I'd imagine Heath and Randle will be their cover guys, but I have a feeling Arceneaux will want to torch Loffler as this will be the first time seeing each other since Loffler laid the lumber to him in the WSF

good.  let him try, when we are in their best players head like that.. its a victory for us as it means hes paying less attention to the game and more about his own thing..  that will make him more likely to make mistakes.  If hes trying to burn Loffler, he may set himself up to get picked by Heath et all.

I am also curious about what went wrong for MOS vaunted ST unit on those opposition returns. He referred to mistakes that need to be cleaned up, but I'd be curious to know a little more. Maybe something to do with new guys in the wrong spot... 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I am also curious about what went wrong for MOS vaunted ST unit on those opposition returns. He referred to mistakes that need to be cleaned up, but I'd be curious to know a little more. Maybe something to do with new guys in the wrong spot... 

I don't like to make excuses but the punt return TD was almost entirely Medlock's fault. Terrible punt with backspin caused the cover teams to be both off balance and backing off to prevent a no yards call. That was going to be a disaster the moment it left his foot. 

The punt return TD looked the ball bounced to the boundary and the outside guy could not contain him. Medlocks kicks on the kickoffs were really low line drives that went far. Looked like they could not get down there quick enough and allowed him to get to the outside.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Basically missed tackles also tho. I mean we had guys there but missed tackles. I also dont think one of his returns should have counted cuz quite obvious he stepped out of bounds. Not sure how that was missed. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Randle blew contain on the punt, he came way inside as the ball bounced around when he should have stayed outside to force Jackson inside.  Once Jackson got to the sideline it was a damn scramble.

i'm excited to see how well our new D-line can handle BC's run game and Jennings.  I also am excited to see how well Heath and company can do against Jenning's sometimes spotty decision making on throws..

I actually think we match up Well vs BC.. From my recollection we seem to be able to fluster Jennings quite regularly... I think our DL will own the Lions OL all night long.. I actually... Im more optimistic when we play on the road than at home for some reason... We seem to do ok at BC Place. 

11 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Randle blew contain on the punt, he came way inside as the ball bounced around when he should have stayed outside to force Jackson inside.  Once Jackson got to the sideline it was a damn scramble.

Yeah if that bounces  true and bounces down field he gets tackled right there. But they do have to play wider there to not het him get to the sideline,

49 minutes ago, Fraser said:

Anyone  know  if Jennings  is expected to play?

Initial report is it's a bruised shoulder, which Jennings himself says is "fine" and him sitting out the game was more a precautionary thing.  Have a feeling tho based on the way Lulay played that even if Jennings is starting,  if he's not getting it done Lulay will come in sooner than later

Looking ahead to this week...

I want to see Ottawa play 2 games in the following days. First up Montreal on Wednesday, then Toronto on Monday.

I want to see Saskatchewan in Calgary, where their newly found enthusiasm will come crashing down. 

I want to see Hamilton extend their losing streak against Edmonton, then Calgary, then Edmonton again. 

Hamilton and Ottawa could both be winless after 6 games. Wouldn't that be interesting?

Action starts WEDNESDAY in the CFL, and you know who gets the bye? The Bye does. All 9 teams in action..Don't try and figure it out. Just see @Atomic for his thorough explanation.

On 7/14/2017 at 4:11 PM, SPuDS said:

i'm excited to see how well our new D-line can handle BC's run game

that and how Fort Knox does at MLB with a week of prep ... I expect lulay will start .... this game we will need more than luck  .... we are going to have to be consistent and minimizing our mistakes or in other words against BC we can't afford to take a quarter off

55 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

that and how Fort Knox does at MLB with a week of prep ... I expect lulay will start .... this game we will need more than luck  .... we are going to have to be consistent and minimizing our mistakes or in other words against BC we can't afford to take a quarter off

Knox is playing MLB?

I am just trying to add up the pro's and con's to see who has the edge in the Fridays game:

Momentum: BC crushed 'em, we are on a high following our reversal of fortunes against the double blue

Line & Run Game: I believe we have a definite edge on both sides of the ball ... Hamilton was no test of BC's lineman; we manhandled the Argos

QBing: Lulay was brilliant; Nichols is a lot more careful with the ball than Jennings who will probably sit .... we have no idea what we got if Nichols comes out

Receivers: ours are good, BC's are great .... the Lion's flat passes are well executed and we are not as competent there yet

Secondary: strangely I think we have the edge but we won't be able to totally stop BC's big play acrobatics

LBers & pass D: they are in top form; we are developing and will struggle with their hitch passes

Kicking: Medlock

Returning: Rainey

Coaching: our adjustment are getting better but it is still the fox (Buono) vs the hounds (yappers  that we are)

Conclusion: We need Harris's rushing to set up our passing game ... then we have a chance ... we won't be able to completely contain BC's explosive receivers; the question is can we frustrate them enough and win the turnover game once again .... we won't win without the giveaway takeaway stats being in our favor

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

BC is good but they arent that good. They have flaws.. A big one is their oline.. It really comes down to winning the battle in the trenches. 

Absolutely this, BC will make plays on offence just because of the talent they have at receiver, but that OL is a pile of crap and you can likely make the qbs pay for everything they accomplish. Jennings already got his shoulder dinged up and we're only a month into the season.