Looking Ahead: Winnipeg Vs BC

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

it's about games played really...and averages per catch..game..season...what have you

He played the equivalent of 2+ yrs more than Milt and Almost 3 more than Pitts.

Give those 2 guys those extra games/years worth of stats and Simon would be a distant 3rd, but still exceptional...just not the best 

That's kind of my point though. Pitts' last season was "only" 1k yards and he clearly wasn't the player he used to be. Give him a couple extra years at the age Simon finished his career, and consider the downward trajectory he was on, and I'm not sure he finishes much higher in total yards than Simon did.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Can you imagine what Stegall might have done if he'd played with a qb like Dickenson as well? I mean **** Stegall put up big numbers with Kevin Glenn... Only real top guy Stegall had was Jones for a few years and they broke the record book... 

Stegall and Flutie would have been unfair.

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I am not sure he is that much better than Denmark to be honest. some big stats in a few games last year doesn't really change my opinion on that, he's gotta show the consistency to be able to do that for a whole season before he gets those accolades. 

I think we are giving Denmark a bit too much credit for his work over half a season last year. There was a reason he was released going into last season and he has not been getting open consistently this season. He was a very average receiver for much of his career. 

An average receiver probably doesnt play over 100 CFL games in his career. Denmark is a good player... Hes consistent. You cant have 5 superstars receivers on your roster or if you do... You will have bigger holes elsewhere. BC is a good example.. Pretty solid group but that Oline is swiss cheese. 

Edited by Goalie

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

and you lost me. At least use a guy like Calvillo or Ray as an example not that over rated prima donna. 

I'm using him as a lesser QB who was still decently dependable lol.  I wasn't putting him into a level of Dickenson or calvillo.  meant it as like.. a step up from Glenn but not a huge leap.

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

An average receiver probably doesnt play over 100 CFL games in his career. Denmark is a good player... Hes consistent. You cant have 5 superstars receivers on your roster or if you do... You will have bigger holes elsewhere. BC is a good example.. Pretty solid group but that Oline is swiss cheese. 

Agreed. Very unbalanced on offense in terms of where the talent is spread around.

And FWIW, I'd have taken a prima donna like Burris here over Pierce, Elliott, Brink, Goltz, Hall, Boltus, Brohm, et al. 8 days a week.

25 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I think we are giving Denmark a bit too much credit for his work over half a season last year. There was a reason he was released going into last season and he has not been getting open consistently this season. He was a very average receiver for much of his career. 

Oh no I am not giving Denmark credit simply for last season, I've been a fan of the guy his entire tenure here. He's a very consistent and reliable target. I'm also not pumping him up to great levels either, but he's still shown that consistency, where as Adams hasn't, in large part because he was hurt most of last season. As I said before, a few big games last year doesn't put a guy into the highest echelons of receivers, consistently performing at a high level is what does it. 

Honestly when I look around the CFL there are so many players I would put at the same level as Adams or higher that he's just another american receiver. Everything he does well there are plenty of guys who do it better and more consistently. 

Why are we even debating this. We only have one elite receiver, but it took a few years for him to 'develop' until he could play for us. Seriously, even if Adams is considered 'good' at this time, it will take years of playing at a higher level than he is now. He has to be 'feared' by opponents, and he just isn't. It's up to him to take advantage of defenders who consider him 'lite', and I think he has the capacity. 

Other than Dressler, we have no great receivers, or even someone who has that potential. And I don't know why this is..

13 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Hope it's nothing serious

From the article:

Irving, 66, is scheduled to have a heart-related medical procedure on Wednesday in Winnipeg and will not travel to Vancouver for the Bombers game against the B.C. Lions.

Irving hopes to be back in action within a couple of weeks and could possibly call next Thursday’s home game against the Montreal Alouettes.

Here's hoping Knuckles is back in his familiar spot on CJOB next week. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

3 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Drinking this early? 

Must be. While I picked the Lions to finish 1st in the west this year,  it won't be coming off our backs.  your 3-0 vs the east but 0-1 vs the west (soon to be 0-2 ;)).  Lulay has a stiffer test then racking up big numbers vs a team in disarray (Hamilton) and our pass rush is going to light up that young OL that's still learning as you mentioned.

I don't expect us to win by much as the games have gone, but the Bombers match up well vs the Lions as of late

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Why are we even debating this. We only have one elite receiver, but it took a few years for him to 'develop' until he could play for us. Seriously, even if Adams is considered 'good' at this time, it will take years of playing at a higher level than he is now. He has to be 'feared' by opponents, and he just isn't. It's up to him to take advantage of defenders who consider him 'lite', and I think he has the capacity. 

Other than Dressler, we have no great receivers, or even someone who has that potential. And I don't know why this is..

Because we are 2-1 on the season and are coming off a win, what else are we supposed to argue about? 

8 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Now that we've determined what "great" actually means, can you all please tell me of the other receivers - who are top-drawer and who are merely upper-echelon?

Adarius Bowman.  For all the pretty stats the guy has put up the last few years the guys is about as hit and miss as a game of battleship

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

45 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Must be. While I picked the Lions to finish 1st in the west this year,  it won't be coming off our backs.  your 3-0 vs the east but 0-1 vs the west (soon to be 0-2 ;)).  Lulay has a stiffer test then racking up big numbers vs a team in disarray (Hamilton) and our pass rush is going to light up that young OL that's still learning as you mentioned.

I don't expect us to win by much as the games have gone, but the Bombers match up well vs the Lions as of late

So what...about 8 sacks for you guys then?  Lulay doesn't need numbers, he needs 1 more point than the BB