Is It Time To Professionalize Our Refs

BigBlue

8 hours ago, Sard said:

I've seen the argument many times over the years that there should be less flags, but I have to disagree with that as an absolute statement.  When I see receivers running offside on every play and no flag, that frustrates me to no end.  So overall, I would say that the refs just need to be consistent in enforcing the rules.

Rather than telling the refs to put away the flags, it's also on the players to play clean.  If they play within the rules, and the refs call the game according to the rules, then there would be no flags.  Real life and game speed don't work that way though, so there is room for human error on both sides.

Also, to hear how some people talk about it, you would think that there was a challenge on every play... overall there can be a maximum of 6 challenges in a game (unless the rules on the number of challenges have changed), and I'm not sure if there have been any games with more than 3 so far this year (disclaimer that I have not actually watched every single game so can't say that definitively).  They do seem to have got faster with the challenge calls in general, but as has been said many times on here the C'mon Centre needs to get the calls right and they are currently failing at that far too often so far this year.

I agree that you can't simply ask for less penalties because the Refs are there to enforce the rules and the players can choose not to break them. 

As for a max of 6 challenges... That's technically true, but the C'Mon center also stops the game on every scoring play and every turnover to take a look too.

You watch a great play, then look for a flag, then wait for the C'Mon center to verify the play. In the meantime, the teams are going over the play on their IPAD's looking for something to challenge, which they often find and we wait for that to get figured out.

I think the CFL got it wrong. Fans don't really want to wait after each big play to get it right. They don't want coaches being able to go on challenge fishing expeditions. They don't want fast challenges, they want the right outcome faster. Fans simply want the egregious plays overturned. 

14 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I agree that you can't simply ask for less penalties because the Refs are there to enforce the rules and the players can choose not to break them. 

As for a max of 6 challenges... That's technically true, but the C'Mon center also stops the game on every scoring play and every turnover to take a look too.

You watch a great play, then look for a flag, then wait for the C'Mon center to verify the play. In the meantime, the teams are going over the play on their IPAD's looking for something to challenge, which they often find and we wait for that to get figured out.

I think the CFL got it wrong. Fans don't really want to wait after each big play to get it right. They don't want coaches being able to go on challenge fishing expeditions. They don't want fast challenges, they want the right outcome faster. Fans simply want the egregious plays overturned. 

You nailed it on this one. I don't like seeing a play made and then having a coach looking for the slightest hint of an infraction in another time zone so they can throw a flag, delay the game and take away said play because of something that really had no impact on the play. 

I dislike the challenge system in general but the biggest travesty is deciding that they should be able to challenge PI. Get that **** out of there. Total over reaction because of one missed flag in a playoff game. Fans will accept human error on the field in real time much more readily than they will accept all the bullshit that PI challenges have introduced. 

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Exaggerating a little there. The Command Centre reviews TDs & TOs but on the vast majority of plays there is no delay in the game.

Fans do want egregious plays overturned but what's egregious to one fan isn't necessarily egregious to another. 

On 7/16/2017 at 7:02 PM, MC said:

If you have to slow down a play to the point of going frame to frame to determine a challenge, then the onfield decision should never be overturned.  And if the rule calls for an official to make a judgement call (ex:  uncatchable ball) then that cannot be reviewed - otherwise, it is not a judgement. 

I've been an advocate of this for a long time... I think reviews should be in real time.... if you can't make an obvious determination from several different angles IN REAL TIME.... then the call on the field stands.... also, get rid of the PI challenge....

On 7/17/2017 at 6:02 PM, White Out said:

The worst part of a CFL game, and by far, is watching and waiting when something good happens to see if a flag is on the carpet.

Missed the season opener against Calgary... so I was pretty excited for the Toronto game... got there early... and on the first play of the game, Lankford brings it to the house... but was I immediately celebrating?... nope, I was scanning the field for flags... :angry:

24 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Missed the season opener against Calgary... so I was pretty excited for the Toronto game... got there early... and on the first play of the game, Lankford brings it to the house... but was I immediately celebrating?... nope, I was scanning the field for flags... :angry:

That is not unique to the CFL, particularly on special teams plays.  I'm always looking for flags.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That is not unique to the CFL, particularly on special teams plays.  I'm always looking for flags.

yup and always have.. usually theres a hold, illegal block, no yards,  illegal participation or too many men call lol. 

it is a sad state of affairs that it has been like this for as long as I can remember when it comes to return plays.

16 hours ago, Jacquie said:

If I had a dollar for every post I've seen here complaining about an illegal block being missed by the officials when it's the opposition who has a big return I'd be rich.

As usual, the officials are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And if I had a dollar for every woman who didn't find me attractive, pretty soon, they would.