What would it take to fire a coordinator?

BigBlue

We have all been expressing doubt about the passivity/conservatism of our two coordinators ....

So if this is the major-most problem, what circumstances or justification is needed to attempt to make an improvement there?

If we make a change during the season would we promote from within or get an outsider?

Who would you want if it was during this season?

do you realize you are the only guy (well, next to nasty nate on OB) who i can definitively say "yup, thats a BigBlue" thread simply by reading the title?

Nobody is firing a coordinator at this point of the season.  we are 2 and 2 for crying out loud.   both facets of the team have had moments of stellar play mixed with drek.   all we need is to get some consistency..

As for the whom.. I literally have no idea.  Is there anyone better then who we have sitting around just waiting for a phone call?  I don't believe so..

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

No change during the season please.

If we did, it would likely be Costello taking over as OC and Glenn Young as DC.  Pretty hard to get anyone talented to come in mid-season because they are already employed elsewhere.

Agreed 100%. Firing a coordinator mid season is throwing in the towel on the entire year and our coordinators (warts and all) would be head and shoulders above any interim guy brought in.

We ride out this season and evaluate in the off-season.

5 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Won't happen in the middle of the season. The problem is who replaces them? You need time to implement a scheme, and get the players comfortable with it. It's funny over the the Rider board I constantly hear posters over there calling Lapo and Hall two of the best cordinators in the league. :lol:

Well haven't you heard?  Every other coordinator calls the right play every time, and ours call the wrong play every time.

I am not advocating firing any body ... its just the chief gripe on these threads is coaching: play calling, schemes, personnel selection ... and that's not going to change with these coordinators ... so I just wanted to know how our posters would actually fix things ... or else decide what criteria we would use if & when there is an actual  need to panic

So if we are going to be shaking our fist in the air about coaching performance, lets be action oriented with our solutions ... so we don't get an ulcer or ...

2 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I am not advocating firing any body ... its just the chief gripe on these threads is coaching: play calling, schemes, personnel selection ... and that's not going to change with these coordinators ... so I just wanted to know how our posters would actually fix things ... or else decide what criteria we would use if & when there is an actual  need to panic

So if we are going to be shaking our fist in the air about coaching performance, lets be action oriented with our solutions ... so we don't get an ulcer or ...

the thread title specifically says what would it take to fire a coordinator,  so I think you are advocating the removal of one (at least).  We complain about generally a couple plays not the entire game plan other then maybe seeing more run for example,  but thats just fan POV. These guys are the ones paid to sift through tons of film and game plan accordingly. I trust what they devise is better then most arm chair coaches could draw up

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

then to answer your question, it would take a meeting, an email or a text to inform them their services are no longer required.  Not really sure it takes a whole lot to fire someone

to fire someone you have to answer to:

1. the overseeing board and or president

2. the senior operating manager

3. the media

4. the ticket buying public

or else you need the balls of a self indulgent narcisist

6 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

to fire someone you have to answer to:

1. the overseeing board and or president

2. the senior operating manager

3. the media

4. the ticket buying public

or else you need the balls of a self indulgent narcisist

not really;

The only person that really has a say is Oshea because it's his staff. Walters would just be the guy to carry out the termination.

As for the media and the public,  they have no say in anything.  The media will get a scrum to explain the move that goes something like there being a difference in philosophies, going in different direction..yadda yadda.

The public will keep going to games 

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

7 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

The public will keep going to games 

We have a core of season ticket holders that will always be there .... but look at the variability of attendance this year ... how the Bombers perform and how respected the fans feel by management makes a big $$$ difference .... the Berry firing hurt attendance, for years, for multiple reasons

I am not saying we should fire anybody but I am saying how do we know when we should

I don't think the average fan gives a **** who the coordinators are. i'm sure there are lots of season ticket holders who couldn't name the coordinators. Fans care about winning. Firing lapolice isn't going to cause a few thousand fans to stay home. Maybe Tina and the kids. 

I've never wanted Lapolice here, V1, V2 or V3, and I'm still with everyone else in that it's a ridiculous conversation at this point and would be a pointless change at this point of the season that likely causes more problems.

12 hours ago, LeBird said:

LaPo got us 35 points last week. His problem might be he gets gun shy once he gets a decent lead. Don't forget MOS owns 7 points of those scored late in the game.

The defence is missing Moe and Roc has struggled. Hurl is Hurl.  But we are 2-2 so all is good by me anyway.

And Wild. And Johnson.

I still can't believe this is a thread. It isn't like the team is 0-4 or has been blown out yet (maybe that second half vs. the Stampeders but that's a stretch). They lost a close one on Friday and should hopefully learn from the mistakes made.

The sky isn't falling.