I Hate Prevent Defenses

BigBlue

14 hours ago, SPuDS said:

great comment about Charmichael, Walker and Porter.  They all should be learning and watching at this point, not dodging bullets.  We've had to force them in and not surprisingly, we have had some Gaffes..

Dave Richie always said that you will lose at least one game a season due to a rookie starting.. so 3 in at starting roles, 4 technically.. we are due for 4 losses minimum, lol.   Its gonna happen, problems are going to pop up with knowing assignments, zones, where to line up, etc etc.  Can't be avoided as these guys are practically learning on the fly..

"Yeah, like, this thing is actually made of pig skin? Wow! And you can throw it, OR kick it? Now that's wild!"

9 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

I believe several here have the right idea. While our backups should be ready to step up when a starter is injured, and that may be the case in some instances, it still remains that the defence is giving up far too many yards. Frankly I don't care what Montreal, Saskatchewan, Calgary or BC does simply put our defense ranks near the last in most categories. The fact that even Hall admits he doesn't like the yardage given.....but he will take it if we win.... well that say's a lot. I agree prevent defenses work if the other team makes mistakes....can't hold onto a short pass or is stopped running on second and long....AKA Blue Bombers.... but they have to make the mistake we don't have to make them make one. It is quite simple actually on defense I believe you have to make the other team make mistakes and if you are giving them yards to make first downs then you are in trouble....AKA Montreal last game. As for back ups well if they are as good as the starters there should be no speed bumps to hurdle, but if the scheme is incorrect it doesn't really matter starter or backup there will be issue.

Did he actually say that... or are you just assuming that how he feels?

9 hours ago, pigseye said:

So 5 weeks of riding the pine for Loffler makes all the difference? If you say so.

So you leave out Foggs other accomplishments, you can do better than that can't you, and where did you find anything about Fogg struggling to start the year? The secondary came together when Loffler took over at safety not because Fogg suddenly figured out how to play.

Well the original point was that 2 preseason games and a few weeks of training camp don't prepare rookies, Loffler had that plus over a month of practise time before he was asked to start, so yeah I am going to say that it does make a difference. 

As for Fogg I got it from watching with my own eyes. Guy had a rough start to the year, not unlike a lot of rookies playing the halfback position. Just because a rookie like Carmichael is struggling out of the gate, especially when playing beside another rookie, doesn't mean he won't work out. 

Did the secondary ever really come together last year? They gave up piles of yards all year and will continue to do so because that's the kind of defense this team plays. 

9 hours ago, J5V said:

"Yeah, like, this thing is actually made of pig skin? Wow! And you can throw it, OR kick it? Now that's wild!"

it ain't my fault you dont believe the differences between NFL/NCAA/CFL are real and exist.   if you show up to play on a CFL field thinking so, you get shown real quick how ignorant that thought process is. 

there is a steep learning curve. 

8 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

it ain't my fault you dont believe the differences between NFL/NCAA/CFL are real and exist.   if you show up to play on a CFL field thinking so, you get shown real quick how ignorant that thought process is. 

there is a steep learning curve. 

C'mon Spudz. I know you like me. :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 2:30 PM, BigBlue said:

Those soft end of game schemes let the offence throw short passes underneath the deeper umbrella ... just don't let them complete a long pass : that would be too terrible for words

Of course last night Montreal's prevent D allowed us a chance to win the game, so thanks.

The prevent D is why 3 TDs can be scored in the last 3 minutes of a CFL game. It's why the last possession of the first half usually results in a score.

I find it unreasonable that a defense that has been mostly tough as hell against the other team's offense should give that up to go soft just because it is nearing the end of a half.

Can some one wake Ritchie Hall up to the realities of the soft prevent, please?

Obligatory mention that the Bombers ran a prevent D last night to perfection, holding Edmonton to 3 points  in the closing minutes of the 4th.

6 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Obligatory mention that the Bombers ran a prevent D last night to perfection, holding Edmonton to 3 points  in the closing minutes of the 4th.

yes and nearly gave  me a heart attack ... they went the length of field and nearly got back in the game ... we need to be a little tighter than that 

21 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

yes and nearly gave  me a heart attack ... they went the length of field and nearly got back in the game ... we need to be a little tighter than that 

they needed to score, onside kick, and score again in like a min.   the offense also benefited from some brutal reffing in the last 2 mins (holds and offensive pushoffs totally missed) 

they weren't coming back even with the ref assist.

50 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

they needed to score, onside kick, and score again in like a min.   the offense also benefited from some brutal reffing in the last 2 mins (holds and offensive pushoffs totally missed) 

they weren't coming back even with the ref assist.

It was a long shot ,,,, but a quick TD would have given then a chance when they had none .... blitzing Hurl is encouraging but he has the worst record in getting pressure