Winnipeg @ Ottawa: Are they due?

BigBlue

Just now, Noeller said:

Rocky's 3rd position early in his rookie year....that's tough for anyone...

you'd have to think that the coaches clearly see something in him that we dont if they are willing to move him around so often and hope that he can play the position on short training..

15 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What makes you say that? Why does it have to be this particular upcoming game?

Comes down to numbers, they're currently sitting in 4th place at 3-2.  If they want to make up ground on the teams above them they have to start putting together consecutive wins and beat up on the Eastern teams while they can.  If they lose to the RB's and beat the Ticats, they'll be sitting at 4-3, possibly 4-4 after the Esks game.  If they want to match last years record of 11-7 dicking around .500 at mid-season won't help and I don't think they're likely to string together 7 straight like they did last year to make up ground. 

If you accept that the only thing that matters is making the playoffs that's fine but I think they have to get winning into their DNA so that it becomes the expected norm.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Comes down to numbers, they're currently sitting in 4th place at 3-2.  If they want to make up ground on the teams above them they have to start putting together consecutive wins and beat up on the Eastern teams while they can.  If they lose to the RB's and beat the Ticats, they'll be sitting at 4-3, possibly 4-4 after the Esks game.  If they want to match last years record of 11-7 dicking around .500 at mid-season won't help and I don't think they're likely to string together 7 straight like they did last year to make up ground. 

If you accept that the only thing that matters is making the playoffs that's fine but I think they have to get winning into their DNA so that it becomes the expected norm.

Fair enough. This week's game will be a tough one and the week after in Hamilton has trap game written all over it. I just see the game vs. the Eskimos as being a better indicator of where this team is, though. Gotta be able to compete with the best before knowing where you stand, IMO. Obviously, if they can win the next two, I'll feel better about their chances when they host the division leader.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

He's a great play caller when he's down multiple scores or just down and time is running out, but when leading or tied or plenty of time left in the game he is pretty brutal. 

That is why those of us who are frustrated with Lapolice are frustrated with him, because he is inconsistent and if he'd call the entire game like he did when he was trying to climb back into a game things wouldn't get so prone to 2 and outs all the damned time.

If that's the case, (not saying it isn't)  the head coach should recognize the problem, and deal with it.

45 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The next game is always the most important game, so Friday is the most important game of the year, until we play Hamilton and so on.

In other words, (as a coach I heard about put it)

"on to cincinatti" :lol:

Edited by Mark F

22 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

yeah but as those other western teams start playing each other more and more they'll pick up some losses of their own. 

I mean yeah you want to pick up wins all the time, but let's not over react. weren't they 1-4 last year at this time? It's the CFL, all you gotta do is make the playoffs, and the Bombers are positioned to do that this year at the pace they're going on. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

yeah but as those other western teams start playing each other more and more they'll pick up some losses of their own. 

I mean yeah you want to pick up wins all the time, but let's not over react. weren't they 1-4 last year at this time? It's the CFL, all you gotta do is make the playoffs, and the Bombers are positioned to do that this year at the pace they're going on. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Sure slipping into the playoffs would be fine but it isn't a great way to pursue a reasonable shot at a GC appearance, if they want to be considered as one of the better teams in the league they need to be fighting for first or second, not fourth place.  This version of the team has a serious shelf life, with Harris, Dressler Leggett and Westerman to name a few nearing the end of their careers.  If they can't make a move this year it has to happen next year as within two years we'll be looking at wholesale change finding new stars to lead the team.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Sure slipping into the playoffs would be fine but it isn't a great way to pursue a reasonable shot at a GC appearance, if they want to be considered as one of the better teams in the league they need to be fighting for first or second, not fourth place.  This version of the team has a serious shelf life, with Harris, Dressler Leggett and Westerman to name a few nearing the end of their careers.  If they can't make a move this year it has to happen next year as within two years we'll be looking at wholesale change finding new stars to lead the team.

Ottawa was below .500 and won last year, it's about being good at the right time of year as long as you make it to the dance. Let's be realistic here, unless you are first in your division you have to win 3 games to be Grey Cup champions, does it really matter if this team has to go on the road to get there? Given their record at home over the life span of the stadium maybe they're better off on the road anyway. Just get to the playoffs and win 3 games and no one will remember how your regular season went. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Ottawa was below .500 and won last year, it's about being good at the right time of year as long as you make it to the dance. Let's be realistic here, unless you are first in your division you have to win 3 games to be Grey Cup champions, does it really matter if this team has to go on the road to get there? Given their record at home over the life span of the stadium maybe they're better off on the road anyway. Just get to the playoffs and win 3 games and no one will remember how your regular season went. 

Yah, but where is Ottawa this season?  It seems like we're looking for different things, you want a G.C. asap and you don't care how they go about getting it.  I want them to improve their odds by continuing to build the team until they are legitimate contenders for the G.C. every year, like Cgy. is and Edm. is once again becoming.  That necessitates finishing in upper reaches of the West Division consistently.  Fair chance they won't accomplish it this year but in the end that should be the goal of the current regime.

39 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yah, but where is Ottawa this season?  It seems like we're looking for different things, you want a G.C. asap and you don't care how they go about getting it.  I want them to improve their odds by continuing to build the team until they are legitimate contenders for the G.C. every year, like Cgy. is and Edm. is once again becoming.  That necessitates finishing in upper reaches of the West Division consistently.  Fair chance they won't accomplish it this year but in the end that should be the goal of the current regime.

No I want a team that makes the playoffs year in and year out. I want a team that can compete with the best teams in the league, which this team can do. I ain't gonna stress about 1st or 4th in the division as long as they make the playoffs, cause once you're in the playoffs you got a chance to win the grey cup if you play well for 3 weeks in a row. 

Every game against an Eastern team is a must-win for a team looking to make the West playoffs, even potentially for 4th place.  If the Bombers go 6-2 against the east (2-0 right now) and manage 4-6 or 5-5 against the West (1-2) they'll surely make the playoffs.  If they sweep the East or do a little better against the West they'll host a playoff game.

Bottom line, gotta feast on these shitty eastern teams, and they are shitty.  No ability to close games.

Just now, 17to85 said:

No I want a team that makes the playoffs year in and year out. I want a team that can compete with the best teams in the league, which this team can do. I ain't gonna stress about 1st or 4th in the division as long as they make the playoffs, cause once you're in the playoffs you got a chance to win the grey cup if you play well for 3 weeks in a row. 

I have heard of such things spoken of in hushed voices around the fire by our ancestors.