Commissioner gets it right

Booch

NEWS HEADLINE:  Randy Gets It Right!

The pendulum is swinging back to saner proceedings. Put away your ipads everyone and focus on the game at hand. That's the message I get from this.

Well done!

Edited by Mr Dee

Disagree.  The problem wasn't the number of challenges coaches could initiate, the process was the problem.  I would have limited PI reviews to video at regular speed, set a hard cap at decision within 90 seconds or inconclusive and eliminated the illegal contact review.  Just wait until someone loses a game on a botched PI call that they could have reviewed previously, the pendulum will swing right back around.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Disagree.  The problem wasn't the number of challenges coaches could initiate, the process was the problem.  I would have limited PI reviews to video at regular speed, set a hard cap at decision within 90 seconds or inconclusive and eliminated the illegal contact review.  Just wait until someone loses a game on a botched PI call that they could have reviewed previously, the pendulum will swing right back around.

You still have your challenge to do that.  Just don't waste it earlier.  

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

This x 1000

Just now, 17to85 said:

Unless the refs are that bad at their jobs, which we all know they are. They're going to miss more than 1 call per side per game. 

Fixing ref's blatant mistakes, that's another thing.  Good point.    I don't know why the eye in the sky can't do a better job at fixing stuff like that and not resorting to challenges...

With the rules as they now stand regarding PI, I don't think the league has any choice.  We know that coaches are setting up receivers to force contact with a DB so that they have a ready made challenge to use anytime they want.  I don't think it would be wise to make a major change to the way the PI is called mid season, so this way, those coaches who want to do this will have one and only one opportunity to use it.  It will force them to really think over whether or not to throw the challenge flag.  Hopefully, they can review the PI stuff at the end of the year and fix it.  But until then...

4 minutes ago, Saidin said:

You still have your challenge to do that.  Just don't waste it earlier.  

Well look at our games this season.  We had to challenge a catch for a first down that clearly and blatantly incomplete against BC.  So now O'Shea would have to gift that first down to BC to preserve his challenge for later? Bullshit.  They got it wrong again, the old cut off the nose to spite the face change.

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

With the rules as they now stand regarding PI, I don't think the league has any choice.  We know that coaches are setting up receivers to force contact with a DB so that they have a ready made challenge to use anytime they want.  I don't think it would be wise to make a major change to the way the PI is called mid season, so this way, those coaches who want to do this will have one and only one opportunity to use it.  It will force them to really think over whether or not to throw the challenge flag.  Hopefully, they can review the PI stuff at the end of the year and fix it.  But until then...

PI isn't as bad as the illegal contact ones, just eliminate those and it wouldn't be so bad.

I like that it's a step in trying to correct the stupidity of the situation, but I think it's just another knee jerk reaction from the CFL which is what got us into this mess in the first place. 

The entire point of video review is to get things right... yet with 1 review a side it still leaves a lot of leeway for the refs to get things wrong. 

I've said since they implemented it that if video review can not be 100% at getting calls right then it shouldn't be part of the game. I would still advocate for the entire review process to be scrapped and just let the referees do their jobs and we can live with real time on the field mistakes from them rather than having to live with mistakes even after the review. 

At very least they should do away with the ability to challenge PI. It has always been discretionary so reviewing it is just stupid. 

IMHO they need to eliminate challenges altogether and just put a direct comm link between the ref and command center and each play they are talking over potential missed calls or wrong calls. for example play happens,  refs miss an illegal contact or something,  CC radios in saying they noticed an infraction between #XX and #XX,  flag gets tossed.  Or ref makes a call,  CC looks it over quickly, and if they see if was wrong radio that in and the ref tosses his flag saying there is no infraction..etc

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

PI isn't as bad as the illegal contact ones, just eliminate those and it wouldn't be so bad.

Ya, sorry, illegal contact is what I was referring to.

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The only thing this eliminates is coaches like JM DD and CJ fishing for calls... Thats a positive.. I get they all do it but these are the ones who do it most.. Thats good but... Leaving it in the hands of incompetent refs isnt good. 

The thing is, every team gets the same refs.  Ya, they blow calls all the time but I'm pretty sure that it all balances out over the season.  For me, the real head scratcher is the C'mon Centre.  If you're going to have a review, then get the bloody review right.  Hopefully, Ambroise fixes that next.  The other time to remember is that while coaches will be limited to one review, there are still automatic reviews.  In a perfect world, this should be enough, but we all know that the world ain't perfect...