3 stars + HH OTT edition

wbbfan

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

OL didn't necessarily have "their worst game" tonight, but they took too many crucial penalties, for sure. They're still arguably the best OL in the league, and for the most part, provided great protection. At least one sack was on Harris, not the OL... 

...and Nichols held the ball way too long on another...

11 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

1. Chris Randle - fumble recovery right when we needed it and has been consistent contributor, despite defensive injuries elsewhere.

2. T.J. Thorpe - Runs hard after the catch.

3. Medlock - Mr. automatic, had some booming kicks, kicked the game-winner, and a pair of rouges off kickoffs that ended up factoring in when it came down to the wire.

HH - Quincy McDuffie for idiotically giving up that rouge in the final 3 minutes. Having the game tied made Ottawa play more aggressive on their own last series (going for the win) and ended up shooting themselves in the foot

I'd also give it to Ric Campbell in electing a kick instead of taking it on the 35.

8 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

1. Maurice Leggett- the leader of the defense.  Just a whole different story with him out there in the secondary. 7 tackles and 2 sacks in his first game back. 

2. JFD- 6 catches for 73 yards. The most consistent Bomber reciever tonight. I love his game and how sure handed he is. 

3. Roc Carmichael- Shut down the leading reciever in the league. Made him a non factor all night. That late TD by Ellingson was a zone player where Loffler was late on the play. 

HM: Medlock - for going 5/6 with some tough kicks in the rain, a huge kickoff for the single point to made it a 3 point game, and good directional kicking.

Nichols- 319 yards passing, no turn overs, another fourth quarter come back.. 14-5 as a starter since coming in for Willy last season. Not always pretty but I have a lot of respect for the guy he comes up big when it matters. 

Carmichael also hit the block that sprung Randle around the end for the TD

8 hours ago, do or die said:

You better watch the tape, again.....although he was not as bad as Knox, who except for 1 play had another horrendous evening....

I agree, Hurl's main responsibility is stopping the run; that is his core task. He's not good enough at it.

HH's to:

1) Loffler  and whomever the other player was that helped rip that ball out on the big TD by Randle.

2)  Whomever in the bombers' brain trust finally decided to get Flanders on the field. That was huge  and overdue and we need to see more of it. He has quicks in a way that Harris does not – not taking anything away from Harris, he is amazing and arguably our most consistent, high-impact player  as well as a tremendous leader, right there with Nichols and then Medlock – but Flanders brings a different dimension and he is simply too good to have on the bench. He will also eventually grow dissatisfied with that role and sign elsewhere, so  that's just another reason to involve him. 

9 hours ago, O2L said:

I almost feel bad for them...almost. 

That's because we went through something similar a few years back. Kept losing by the slimmest of margins.

44 minutes ago, J5V said:

That's because we went through something similar a few years back. Kept losing by the slimmest of margins.

Right, the Steven Jyles experiment. 

Edited by O2L

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

I'm pretty sure in the final 3 minutes of a game, the receiving team can't elect to take the ball at the 35. Campbell couldn't elect to take the ball at the 35 - even if he wanted to.

Really, didn't know of that rule. Any rule junkies out there that can confirm?

Three Stars:

Medlock - Won the game with his great kicking including the single on the KO.

Leggett - Was a difference maker all night.

Lankford - Huge play to start the game for us. Only Bomber offensive player to score a TD.

HH:

Loffler - Caused the fumble and destroyed an Ottawa receiver late in the 4th. Love that kind of play.

my 3 stars and HH are;

1. Medlock - despite missing his second fg was clutch when it mattered most and was kicking the leather off the ball on his kick offs.

2. Nichols - 25/38 for 319 yards, 1 TD and NO INTs once again. He had a few throws that looked like he lost the handle (probably with a little help from the rain) and a few big plays called back on penalties but man he really drives the ball well when the game is on the line.

3. Loffler - awesome strip of the football and that hit he laid on Sinopoli late in the game was a beaut.

HH goes to Lankford, Leggett and Jake Thomas

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

McDuffie did as much as our return men to help us pull that one out with some brutal decisions.  What a bonehead!

But we missed out not signing him. Didn't you get the memo?

Aside from that...Three stars, of the under the radar type

1. Despite limited touches understandably, Tim Flanders showed why we have to do everything we can to get him in the lineup. Such a nice complement to Harris, and having him in there also creates different sets if him and Harris are on the field at the same time. 

2. Roc Carmichael. Good for him tonight. Solid game after struggling massively all season tonight. Lets hope this is a case of a rookie slowly catching on and learning the ropes. We'll see....

3. Ryan Lankford and TJ Thorpe. Can't decide between the two. Both can obviously make plays, and I love how Thorpe continuously gets yards after the catch. It's definitely needed given we've struggled to find new receivers.

HH - As Jpan mentioned, the cover teams. Absolutely outstanding.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Really, didn't know of that rule. Any rule junkies out there that can confirm?

A team scoring a field goal on a play that started after the 3 minute warning has
been given in the 4th quarter will kickoff from their own 35 yard line. 

Rule 3, section 2, article 2, paragraph 4.

This was taken off the hf jets forum credit the deuce

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

But we missed out not signing him. Didn't you get the memo?

Aside from that...Three stars, of the under the radar type

1. Despite limited touches understandably, Tim Flanders showed why we have to do everything we can to get him in the lineup. Such a nice complement to Harris, and having him in there also creates different sets if him and Harris are on the field at the same time. 

2. Roc Carmichael. Good for him tonight. Solid game after struggling massively all season tonight. Lets hope this is a case of a rookie slowly catching on and learning the ropes. We'll see....

3. Ryan Lankford and TJ Thorpe. Can't decide between the two. Both can obviously make plays, and I love how Thorpe continuously gets yards after the catch. It's definitely needed given we've struggled to find new receivers.

HH - As Jpan mentioned, the cover teams. Absolutely outstanding.

I said to the chick last night, "Next year, Thorpe is gonna be such a  stud... So many people are going to be wearing his jersey... Its just a matter of time..."