THE MORNING AFTER...WITH COFFEE

Mr Dee

THE MORNING AFTER...WITH COFFEE

?‍?Geez. All Nichols does is compete and give us a chance to win. And he did it again on Friday. Against a higher ‘ranked’ QB. 

Weird eh?

?‍? Just love that innovative, huddle on the sideline, ready to go offence, they displayed last night

?‍?I know a ref who is going to be spoken to about a severe non-call that O'Shea had to challenge..

?‍?When is the last time we held a QB to 263 yards passing on 39 attempts? From the league’s leading passer.

?‍?New name for the O-Line….the hands team?

?‍?Slap me with stunning elation on our 1st play from scrimmage…a 79 TD pass

?‍?Here's a good stat - 148 yac yards for the Bombers, 84 Ottawa

?‍?Two Words...Feoli-Gudino

John Hodge reports The Bombers moved 2017 second round draft pick Qadr Spooner from the practice roster to the one-game injured list this past week. I wonder if the move was prompted by a West Division rival trying to claim him?

?‍?You know what's growing?…Confidence

?‍?Once the challenge  flags were done with, we just paid attention to the game. That was satisfying.

?‍?Does anybody question Lankford’s value now?

"I knew (Matt Coates) would come through and he did." - Justin Medlock

?‍?Love the options Flanders gives us..

Derek Taylor - Into Week 7 Redblacks D gave up the most rushing YAC (3.1 yds) and 2nd-least receiving YAC (4.1 YAC/rec)

?‍?Hey, is Trent Corney coming along good or what?

?‍?Coach LaPolice mixed it up pretty good last night.

?‍?Now, if only they could do something about the Nichols-to-Gudino long passes..we'd be set.

Have not had much time to comment on here since last week but here are a few observations:

1)  Carmichael looks much better on the corner rather than playing halfback. I thought he had a solid game both in coverage and in tackling, and that was one of the differences in the game. Good adjustment by the coaching staff to put him there.

2)  The speed that Lankford has is a key missing ingredient to the offence. I thought Lankford played well. I like him better as a receiver than a punt returner in particular. Verdict is still out on Lamkford as a kickoff returner.

3)  Good to get Fogg back. He is a better punt returner than Lankford.

4)  Lapo is not as bad an OC as some make him out to be. I thought he played a good game stretching the defense vertically this time. I still think the reason we don't see that more often is that they do not have the right personnel to go downfield more often.

5)  The defense played better, but still needs improvement. They do have some good young talent that is going to get better this year as the season continues. Walker is very solid, as well as both Cory Johnson and Jeffcoat. It will be interesting to see how they progress. I'd rather see a defense peak in October rather than July. What has always been true, and always will be true is that you need a very strong defense to advance in the playoffs. Offence may get you there, but defense always wins those games.

6)  The Winnipeg Blue Bomber football team has come a long way in the last 5 years, but they still have a few holes to fill. Back in the day, Cal Murphy always recognized that a team could never stand pat, and would continually look to bring in players throughout the season to challenge  in a key position he thought needed improvement. This is always possible to do at certain positions such as middle linebacker due to the number of good American players available throughout United States at both the College and NFL levels. Sometimes this can be the difference between a playoff run and a Grey Cup or an early exit.

One other thing worth mentioning was the amount of times we were inches away from blocking punts. About three if I member correctly! If we take care of Hamilton like we should were sitting pretty at 5-2. Loving the adversity of this football team. For years we would always lose the close football games, in the last calendar year it seems like we're coming out of these games more often then not the W. Good football teams pull out wins. It's professional football, any team has a chance any given Sunday and comes to play. You've seen teams like Calgary always winning those close games. It's no coincidence.. They're a confident football club and I think we're we're on our way building confidence laying the foundation to be a great football in this league. 

12 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Isn't that why he's on defense? I thought cover guys were just WRs that can't catch.

That may have been in the past but look at today's receivers and DB's and you can definitely see a body type bias.  Compare Adams and Heath: long fast receivers and smaller quicker defensive backs.  My humble opinion is that mental differences contribute as well. I feel like DB's have to be mentally tougher as they can be targeted by a receiver, QB and OC.  Keep in mind I have no football experience  past tiny high school in the 1970's so I have no real idea of what I am talking about. 

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

That may have been in the past but look at today's receivers and DB's and you can definitely see a body type bias.  Compare Adams and Heath: long fast receivers and smaller quicker defensive backs.  My humble opinion is that mental differences contribute as well. I feel like DB's have to be mentally tougher as they can be targeted by a receiver, QB and OC.  Keep in mind I have no football experience  past tiny high school in the 1970's so I have no real idea of what I am talking about. 

You know more than you think. 

5 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You know more than you think. 

Or less.  You just never know when you never know.