Addison Richards Retires

Noeller

Sucks for Richards. Injuries were a huge problem for him. Doesnt suck at all for the Bombers as they have 4 or so CDN receivers probably ahead of him. Bust? Guess so but at the same time... It was injuries that cost him dearly. His talent? Cant really say because he was injured all the time. Best of luck to Richards in the future. 

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Too bad for the young man, but it is surprising that he was able to take the physical contact as a college player and yet not as a potential pro. Maybe it was fear that the next hit/injury might screw him up for life.

Just now, tracker said:

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Too bad for the young man, but it is surprising that he was able to take the physical contact as a college player and yet not as a potential pro. Maybe it was fear that the next hit/injury might screw him up for life.

Or maybe it just is what it is... Injuries are a funny thing. The body can only take so much. 

Just now, Goalie said:

Or maybe it just is what it is... Injuries are a funny thing. The body can only take so much. 

That thick mop of hair must have been a direct cause of the injuries.  His legs just couldn't support the extra weight.

Too bad it didn't turn  out but I wish the best in his post football life.

I was expecting a move regarding Addison (either cut or retirement) since 2 people (Johnson and Gauthier) will come off the 6-game IR. 

I'm actually glad it's a retirement. Good for him. He might have the good size for a receiver but he's health doesn't agree with him.

Although it's another score on the negative-side on Walters draft stat. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Mike speculating on Twitter that Richards is retiring because he didn't want to accept the PR paycheque after they moved him last week.....the timing is "curious", for sure...

I agree the timing is curious but to be honest... I dont think we should really care why. Its not like he was playing or you know contributing.. If we forget hes a second round pick.. This is equivalent to releasing hmm lets pick a random training camp cut..  Cuz really Richards was just depth and possibly at the bottom of that CDN reveiver depth chart. 

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

I was expecting a move regarding Addison (either cut or retirement) since 2 people (Johnson and Gauthier) will come off the 6-game IR. 

I'm actually glad it's a retirement. Good for him. He might have the good size for a receiver but he's health doesn't agree with him.

Although it's another score on the negative-side on Walters draft stat. 

What are the other negatives on Walters draft picks? Heck even the great Wally Buono has had several busts.. The DE taken 5th overall a couple years ago comes to mind. Esa something something. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

What are the other negatives on Walters draft picks? Heck even the great Wally Buono has had several busts.. The DE taken 5th overall a couple years ago comes to mind. Esa something something. 

+1 on draft bust counter.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

and that's who they wanted and who they tried desperately to get, but the Riders f***ed 'em on it. L Durant was not the right pick, at the time, and who knows if he'd have matured in Wpg as he did in Calgary. There is no question the kid had a lot of problems at the time, and people avoided him like the plague.

I don't know what kind of problems you refer to as I had said earlier on prior threads regarding Lemar Durant that Durant he had no personal issues & was a great team guy at SFU.  My son was a qb  at SFU & he threw a few TD passes his way when they played together. The man is shy & introverted.  A bit of a loner. He kept to himself & is quiet.  He worked hard in practice everyday as well as games  & was a beast in the weight room during & between seasons.  He did everything the coaches at SFU asked him to do.

Some of the questions asked in these interviews are designed to throw off the players. Like Jim Barker accusing a player that if the Argos drafted him he'd go back to his hometown CFL team after his first contract, so why should they draft him? Like what is a player supposed to say to that??? "NO!!! PLEEEEEAAASSSSEEEE!!!" Apparently, Durant didn't handle the interview phase well, but don't label him a guy who had problems when he didn't. Look at the player he's turning into now. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't know what kind of problems you refer toA as I had said earlier on prior threads that Durant had no personal issues & was a great team guy at SFU.  My son was a qb  at SFU & he threw a few TD passes his way when they played together. The man is shy & introverted.  A bit of a loner. He keeps to himself & is quiet.  Some of the questions asked in these interviews are designed to throw off the players. Like Jim Barker accusing a player that if the Argos drafted him he'd go back to his hometown CFL team after his first contract, so why should they draft him? Like what is a player supposed to say to that??? "NO!!! PLEEEEEAAASSSSEEEE!!!" Apparently, Durant didn't handle the interview phase well, but don't label him a guy who had problems when he didn't. Look at the player he's turning into now. 

Thats great but pro GMs disagreed with you. 

Like life, the interview just like the Combine is part of the process to get a job. If a player doesn't do well in the interview because of shyness or nervousness, he may not get the job as happens in the working world.  Durant  didn't do well in the interviews which we all know. Maybe teams put too much stock in them when they really should concentrate on the measurables & performance on the field instead. 

I find it difficult to blame a guy for walking away when his pay is cut to that degree, especially at a point in his career where he must already be weighing the potential benefits of playing versus the costs to his personal health.

It is also my understanding that a PR deal can be walked away from at any point, so he wouldn't have had to retire to get out of his contract.  But I'm not sure of the details on that.

Not really worried about what Addison Richards (or any of the other people bashing me) think about what I said. 

It *is* curious. He was willing to battle through his injuries and be on the sidelines collecting a full paycheque for doing absolutely nothing to contribute to his team on the field. Then one week after being demoted to the PR, which you have to assume comes with a lower paycheque, he calls it quits? That doesn't sound like a football player to me. Sounds like a guy who milked us for a free ride for three years then gave up when we told him he had to earn it.

Good for him for retiring on his own terms. And I really mean that. He got to make a choice not everyone gets to make. I just don't think his terms were very flattering to him. 

Considering Kyle Walters draft record, it far outweighs the negatives that's for sure.  I won't be one of the posters "losing my mind" as Noeller was suggesting would happen here. Not every selection will work out. Richards didn't & today he retires. Such is pro football. Kyle has done well restocking the cupboard compared to the way things were when he first was named Interim GM in 2013.  My only advice to Kyle? Stay away from receivers who play college in the province of Saskatchewan.